Thought this might be a fun thread for this forum, for us to show off what we use to fix or build all of our crap. Since nobody really pays any attention to this vastly important tool.

I'll start with mine, I hate it, it's a piece of junk from the 80's or something, only melts solder in one specific point, but it's all I got.

I like the improv of the DS-1 as your soldering iron station. Great use for it.
I use a Michaels Arts and Crafts wood burning tool. It's way too hot, but it works
Temperature controlled irons for the win, really the only iron type of iron you should use for electronics work

£15 from Clas Ohlson and it came with a screwdriver tip and i bought a pointy tip for a coupleo f quid too.

kit includes:
Case
100W soldering gun
30W soldering iron
Solder
Solder removing tool
Some other pointy tool (the one to the top right)
completely adjustable stand with 2 croc-clips
a resting plate/stand
and a crappy instruction manual
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.

desperately need a smaller tip, but its a temp variable dick smith one
mojostompboxes.com
i don't have one but will soon.. if i get a $10-15 USD iron would it work?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
it will work, mines a £10 job from aldi in desperate need of a new tip and it's done everything I need from it so far.

Temp controlled one is high on my list of things to buy though
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by tobuei
Temperature controlled irons for the win, really the only iron type of iron you should use for electronics work

DICK SMITH

DICK SMITH

DICK SMITH

DICK SMITH
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
For all you people complaining "it only melts solder in one point..." Why don't you just get new tips?

Also, is there any benefit to the temp controlled solder station over having a normal one with various strength tips besides convenience (turning a pot is easier than switching a hot as hell tip) and more settings to choose from ( 3-4 various temp tips against the full swing of the pot)?

I use my dad's 30 year old soldering station which he made himself i think. The soldering iron is from another set that broke or something and then he made his own station. It still works just fine, no complaints at all.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Quote by OneHappyCamper
For all you people complaining "it only melts solder in one point..." Why don't you just get new tips?

Also, is there any benefit to the temp controlled solder station over having a normal one with various strength tips besides convenience (turning a pot is easier than switching a hot as hell tip) and more settings to choose from ( 3-4 various temp tips against the full swing of the pot)?

I use my dad's 30 year old soldering station which he made himself i think. The soldering iron is from another set that broke or something and then he made his own station. It still works just fine, no complaints at all.

it keeps the tip a constant temperature.
I was under the impression that the fixed tip ones also keep the tip at a constant temperature, the value of which depends on the tip itself. Was I wrong?
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
why the thread about what soldering iron everyone uses - probably the least interesting piece of equipment used in building/modding?
I use a $10 Radioshack iron. In the whole scheme of things its a piece of crap, but I can effectively use it and it gets the job done.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by KempGuitars
why the thread about what soldering iron everyone uses - probably the least interesting piece of equipment used in building/modding?

Because, it's the most important tool, and having a good one can mean the difference between burning the PCB board(which I have done too many times) and making a great pedal.
Quote by KempGuitars

It's what I do like 90% of my work on pedals and guitars with, so I wouldn't say it's an un-interesting piece of equipment. Probably one of my favorite tools really.
I'll have to put some shots of my equipment that I am working with now up soon.

Maybe put some pictures of the new reflow oven, PCB Mill, and plating tank when we get all that in. I live close enough to work that I do a lot of my stuff there for now. Just moved into a new apartment and need to get tools to have here though.

I use a Xytronics station. One of the stations meant for lead free work so I keep the tip around 400 C. Takes no time at all to solder a component to anything. Also means I don't heat the component up much at all, and I get a good joint every time.
Quote by OneHappyCamper
I was under the impression that the fixed tip ones also keep the tip at a constant temperature, the value of which depends on the tip itself. Was I wrong?

yes.

there's a difference between a temperature controlled and a fixed tip.

the temperature has to be measurable in use.

when you put your iron to a connection, the tip will lose heat into the connection.

There are irons that just ramp up the heat whenever the tip loses heat.

there are other irons that are controlled so that no matter what's going on it'll have the exact same temperature at the tip.

also

dick smith. lol.
I was just curious.

I know that for those of you who make pedals or repair guitar LX, etc, your soldering iron is your "tool of the trade" - I use one on regularly too - but as long as it melts the solder effectively, a soldering iron is a soldering iron.