Poll: Do you play your guitar downtown for extra money ?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you play your guitar downtown for extra money ?
You bet !
2 22%
Nope, Never.
6 67%
Wouldn't even consider it.
1 11%
I play at REAL venues for REAL money
2 22%
Voters: 9.
Has anyone of you great acoustic guitar players ever played on the corner of your downtown street or something of the like to make money?
IM GONNA ***CHANGE*** THE WORLD
It's another fun experience for me, as a musician. Putting yourself out there to the world to see is always a good experience. I've met a lot of fellow musicians, fans, and interesting people in general playing out on the sidewalk. Meeting the public face to face and learning from them is a good way, in my opinion, to grow as a musician.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
I don't feel too confident over my acoustic guitar skills so I wouldn't venture in to the cold, harsh world that is public exposure.
a friend and i did a couple times, but then he went out by himself and ended up getting fined over $350. plus the cops said if they saw him at it again, they'd take his guitar. after that, i called the l.a. police department and l.a. county sheriffs ( i live in l.a.) and was told that busking isn't legal here, so i decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I have, and still do occasionally. It's hit or miss moneywise -- as much as $50 and as little as 2 or 3 bucks for an hours worth of work.

I gig 2-3 months a month with my band so I'm not as tempted anymore.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by patticake
a friend and i did a couple times, but then he went out by himself and ended up getting fined over $350. plus the cops said if they saw him at it again, they'd take his guitar. after that, i called the l.a. police department and l.a. county sheriffs ( i live in l.a.) and was told that busking isn't legal here, so i decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Oh man i didnt even think if it was legal or not, but i thought that if you lived in a place like LA it would deffinetely be legal so thats ironic !
Quote by roamingbard13
I have, and still do occasionally. It's hit or miss moneywise -- as much as $50 and as little as 2 or 3 bucks for an hours worth of work.

I gig 2-3 months a month with my band so I'm not as tempted anymore.

I was wondering the amount of money it was possible to make--even though i understand it also depends on location and time--but since my city pretty much consist of the exact same people being everywhere, i dont think i would be making large amounts of money...but i could be wrong !
If you're going to do it, make sure you know every bit of the laws about it for your area. And even if it is legal, and a police officer or sheriff tells you to stop, just stop. Otherwise, they might get you for resisting arrest.
I haven't, but I'd like to do it at least once in my life just for the experience. Idk if it's legal where I live, but my family knows several of the cops in my area and my uncle's a Lt. in the Sheriffs Dept. so I could probably get away with it once if it ain't legal.
"Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free."
-Jim Morrison

how much money you can make depends on location, knowing the right songs for the right crowd, and having a personality that feels approachable, upbeat and friendly. and it might be worth calling the city where you want to play and finding out if busking is legal, and if so, what you can and can't do. that way you won't end up paying a fine.

btw, i've known players who brought in as little as $20 and as much as a few hundred.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!