I just got my 1st floating bridge guitar. On my fixed bridge SG I always preferred Ernie Ball 9's. Well this bastard snaps strings when you tighten the locking nuts. It snapped all but the big E and A strings.

Suggestions?
Sounds like you over tightened it. And all strings break. Any who, I prefer elixer nanoweb
My Gear:
Agile - 2000 W/ EMG 81/85
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
I wouldn't call it overtightening. I went very gently the last time. Any less then they won't serve their purpose at all.
Ive had DR Dimebag customs on my floating trem guitar for half a year now with no problems. Worth a try, definitely. Great sounding too.
~Rest In Peace Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan~

Tumblr: Follow?
Well try any other string elixir's are nice but if it happens again there could be something sharp on the nut.
You might have already done this, but try putting the string a little out of tune (lower) than it should be, lock the nut, then tune with the fine tuners.
I now use only GHS. I really like the David Gilmour GHS strings but they arer 10-48. I use other GHS also when ever I change gauge though

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by rami80
Well try any other string elixir's are nice but if it happens again there could be something sharp on the nut.

That's true also. I would check the see if there was a sharp edge before I did anything else. Could be a burr or something, who knows. But I would test again using a cheap set of higher gauge strings before spending 15 bucks on elixers that I wasn't sure would stay on.

EDIT: No strings > GHS
My Gear:
Agile - 2000 W/ EMG 81/85
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
been using daddario 9's on my jackson....havnt broken a string yet ....but i doubt thats from the strings. where is the string breaking? look for a sharp point this isnt a string problem
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
9 or 10 gauge Ernie Balls or Kurt Mannegans work great..... Sounds like I personal problem I think you over tightened and that's why you broke the strings. I don't know but my guitars are strung with Ernies and Kurts and they work great. I rarely break strings unless I've been bending my high e too much but that's only happened like 3 times in my 2 years of playing guitar.
Quote by plissken99
I wouldn't call it overtightening. I went very gently the last time. Any less then they won't serve their purpose at all.

Sounds like there's something going wrong then. It's not meant to happen no matter how hard you tighten them or how thin the gague is. I'm not trying to suggest you don't know what you're talking about, or anything, but perhaps if you can't pinpoint the probelm you could ask another guitarist to have a look for you, or take it into a guitar store and have a look. I'm sure they wont charge you for it, and if it turns out to be something minow like a burr or an abrasive surface, you can probably fix it yourself with no problem.
I don't think it's the strings, I think it's your nut. The fact that other people are agreeing in this thread should arouse your suspicions as well. I'd get it looked at by a professional.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'm not sure whether the floating bridge'll make a difference, but I use Elixir nanowebs. They're amazing.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
check the locking nut and clamps for grooves and/or burrs that might be cutting the strings when you tighten them. you might need a new locking nut.
I've broken a string on every single set of Ernie Ball strings that I've ever had within about an hour of stringing them up (I've had 3 sets). One broke while I was tuning the E string up, another broke while doing a whole step bend, and on the other the string unwrapped from the ball end. Serious quality control problems, unless I'm the unluckiest person in the world. On that same guitar I've had the same set of D'addario for about a year now.

I've never broken a single string from any set of D'addario strings I've ever had, so you can try those.

EDIT: Ya you should make sure there isn't anything wrong with your nut when you're tightening the string clamps
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Aug 21, 2011,
Ive been using Daddario for 5 years now and ive only broken 2 strings maybe; it happens so rarely im not even sure if its happened more than once

Also, they are pretty cheap about $7 a set and they sound great. Ive tried elixir ernie ball pretty much every brand and i always come back to d'addario

Also: Dont overtighten stuff on a floyd rose. Ive been using floyd roses on my guitars for 5 years i know a lot about how they operate. You only need to as tight as it will go without any pressure and then maybe a 1/4 turn tight

you really dont need to overdo it
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at Aug 21, 2011,