I'm looking to buy an electric guitar, possibly fender strat MIM. Now I don't want to invest in an amp yet because I live with roommates and can't be loud. Can I somehow plug guitar into the computer and do the effects that way??? what software are required? What kind of set up do I need?
you would need an interface to plug the guitar via usb and you could download software like amplitube , guitar rig etc..( could be find demo or some are free ) .

but best for you would be a small POD .. or behringer v-amp . something that play with headphones so you wont disturb anyone .

thats how i play at home 100 % of the time .. i dont have a cab /real amp .. only a multi effect that i use with headphones .

i think line 6 toneport ux or something like that is a good interface for computer . .should cost you in the 60 $ use . invest in it .. you need to plug into something to enjoy electric guitar unless its very boring .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Aug 20, 2011,
there are a number of ways to do it. when i am on the road (like now) i use a 1/4" unbalanced to 1/8" balanced converter into an ipod-style patch cord and run that into my computer's mic input. then i use amplitube as the software and computer speakers for amplification.

i think there is a free version of amplitube, and you can also use something like Reaper (it's recording software) to run VST effects.

there are a number of ways to do it, the one above is very bare bones.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
yes you can get something like a Line 6 pod. you can even use headphones if you need to. Even look at muliti FX units that have headphone out jacks. These options will leve you with something useable with an amp when you get one.

There are more options, but they are more expensive.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Could always just use headphones with an amp..

Otherwise I suggest this. It's not loud, its portable and it won't cost you as much as an interface and recording software will.

This

i would just use a cheap decent amp like a roland microcube. they can get quiet enough AND can be used with headphones
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
i would just use a cheap decent amp like a roland microcube. they can get quiet enough AND can be used with headphones

This would probably be your best option until you have the money to buy a better amp.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I'm the OP.
Another reason I want to be able to plug it into computer is that I want to record stuff sometimes and I figure if I plug guitar directly into the computer I can get a better recording.
Quote by icecoldstar
I'm the OP.
Another reason I want to be able to plug it into computer is that I want to record stuff sometimes and I figure if I plug guitar directly into the computer I can get a better recording.

i think amps like the peavey vypyr have an interface for recording built into them. they are pretty affordable and give you a bit more flexibility than just plugging into the computer.

as far as getting a usb interface or just pluggin into the native sound card... it all depends on budget, quality needs and personal preference. i don't think anyone mentioned the super budget USB interfaces either:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TConnect/

there are many types of those, that is the first one i found.

to give you an idea of how good/bad the options are...

here is a recording of me using garageband and plugging into the native soundcard

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play733334

here is a recording of me using logic with amplitube through native soundcard

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play1030167

here is a couple of recordings using a pretty nice interface with mics

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play990705

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play846382

i really don't like the 'end of heartache' cover (i know more now and it would sound better if i did it recently, and i don't really like the song) but gives you an idea.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 21, 2011,
All the clips in my profile use the rp355 direct into the computer via USB cable. The sound quality is pretty good.
Quote by kutless999
All the clips in my profile use the rp355 direct into the computer via USB cable. The sound quality is pretty good.

when you use USB, how do you adjust distortions and stuff? Do you use computer programs for that or what?? Can you adjust those on the guitar itself??? Sorry I don't have an electric guitar yet so I'm kinda clueless about the technicalities.
You can either adjust the parameters on the unit or on the computer with a patch editor.
Problem with using a basic soundcard for signal processing and modelling guitar is 1, a direct input will not work well due to the pick ups being high impedance or something. Next you have the issue of latency.

Get something like a Line 6 Pod HD, even the 300, and you get some nice amp models and all the effects you could ever want. Works well as a recording tool, practice tool and you can use them live if you want. You can download good preset sounds if you don't know how to set an amp yourself yet.
I don't have any latency when I record with my rp.
Quote by kutless999
I don't have any latency when I record with my rp.

That's because the RP processes the sound.
Exactly
Whats with the digitech fanboyism suddenly.

Get a line 6 pod studio GX. Theyre cheap do exactly what you want. With zero latency monitoring.

Itll come with software, ive not tried the line 6 stuff.
But amplitube is now free.
kutless999 has a digitech unit and tends to recommend it whenever possible
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Inanezguitars recommends his pod hd500 whenever possible too guys.

Quote by beckyjc
Whats with the digitech fanboyism suddenly.

what's wrong with digitech? All you guys ever talk about are "pod hd's" and how theyre "so great".
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 22, 2011,