I want to get into Death Metal but don't really know where to start. I currently listen to more Prog Metal than anything (Dream Theater, Cynic, BTBAM, etc) with the closest thing being Opeth. Can someone suggest DM bands that might appeal to a prog fan? Thanks!
there's a recommendation thread at the top of the page.

But try Sculptured, they're progressive with harsh vocals.
Quote by alexbass
I want to get into Death Metal but don't really know where to start. I currently listen to more Prog Metal than anything (Dream Theater, Cynic, BTBAM, etc) with the closest thing being Opeth. Can someone suggest DM bands that might appeal to a prog fan? Thanks!

Just listen to The Chasm. They write better songs and better riffs than all those bands anyway. Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm is amazing.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by technicolour
there's a recommendation thread at the top of the page.

But try Sculptured, they're progressive with harsh vocals.

Love Sculptured. Found out about them through Agalloch.

Obviously later Death, Into Eternity, the second Pestilence album and on, Obscura, and Arsis.
Ask in the recommendation thread next time.

I second the recommendation for The Chasm, and suggest you check out Deathevokation if you like them.

Unholy Cadaver have the proggier song structures, as well as some trad influence. Make sure you download the album, which came out this year, and not the demo, which only has three songs. (They've been operating since 2001 as Hammers of Misfortune, who aren't death metal in any way but are awesome and proggy, so check them out as well.)

Try Cormorant too, although the base of their style is more rooted in traditional heavy metal, despite having harsh vocals.
Progressive Death Metal with no mention of Timeghoul?

The lot of you are false poserwimps

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence ~ Piece of Time
Timeghoul - both demos
Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
diSEMBOWLMENT - Transcendence into the Periphery
Gorguts - Obscura
Mithras - Worlds Beyond the Veil
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness ~ Blessed are the Sick
Necromass - Abyss Calls Life
Seance - Fornever Laid to Rest
Suffocation - Pierced From Within
Timeghoul - Panoramic Twilight ~ Tumultuous Travelings

Personally - Atheist, Necromass, Timeghoul, Necromass, Morbid Angel, and Necromass would be my top picks.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Seconding proggy's Atheist, Necromass, Necromass and Necromass
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Wanted to mention Necromantia's Scarlet Evil Witching Black, but its not death metal.

Seriously, Atheist, Timeghoul and Necromass fill the wants for any sort of progressive metal in my library
HESSIAN HAREM
Email it instead. I have an idea for mein song I started, I only need a riff or two to finish.it, but you will have to insert some melodies and rework the percussion a bit
HESSIAN HAREM
If you want to get into death metal listen to death metal not prog, if you don't like it try again in a year or 2... or not at all. Just sayin'
You might try Tholus - Constant in addition to the others already mentioned. If you enjoy Cynic you'll probably find something to like on that album.
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."