are there any bands like coldplay and u2? in the past few years i've branched from classical and rock and have been influenced by these 2 bands quite a bit, and want to find something similar to them.
thanks for that response, it was wildly helpful, thank you for describing which artists have sounds similar to the bands i listed, you are a great help.

i value your input and will definitely take it into account.
... Pretty sure he was saying something along the lines of "Coldplay and U2 are so generic that everything on mainstream radio will sound like them".

In any case, Radiohead's "The Bends" and "In Rainbows" are two albums that might fit your criteria.
EDIT: Maybe the Killers' first album?
Last edited by toyboxmonster at Aug 21, 2011,
Quote by 00_hns_00
thanks for that response, it was wildly helpful, thank you for describing which artists have sounds similar to the bands i listed, you are a great help.

i value your input and will definitely take it into account.

lol, that's okay, thank you for your gratuitous use of the, comma, it was wildly helpful in reading the, message,,

So i don't get banned or anything: try Augustana, The Fray, The Killers, Snow Patrol.
Quote by toyboxmonster
... Pretty sure he was saying something along the lines of "Coldplay and U2 are so generic that everything on mainstream radio will sound like them".

In any case, Radiohead's "The Bends" and "In Rainbows" are two albums that might fit your criteria.
EDIT: Maybe the Killers' first album?

just previewed the killers album it has what i'm looking for.

idk, the similarities i find between these three is that everyone is harmonizing with each other (in a way). it all kind of meshes together, like how an orchestra would.

edit: i'm talking about songs like "with or without you", "yellow"

radiohead also seems to "kinda" get what i'm looking for.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Aug 22, 2011,
kinda has what i'm looking for.

kinda feels like it lacks authenticity somehow (don't think thats the words i'm looking for.)
just try Pandora... its free and they have quite the huge library.
he of tranquil mind
Like tons of people I loved coldplay for their first 2/3 albums and U2 longer than most, listened to pop, zooropa, etc...(their last few albums just bored me and they didn't really experiement as much)

you might like Muse, i'd probably suggest black holes and revelations as a first album to try, maybe absolution, some of the earlier stuff might be a little riffy for you right now

Arctic Monkeys have lots of listenable stuff too, I really like their latest album

Beck has some good stuff, i've always like the modern guilt album if you want a listenable one, and has lots of ambience sounds from what I can recall

the obvious one would be the beatles as they definitely influenced coldplay and U2, you might want to avoid the earlier stuff, the white album has potentially tons of material from all over to inspire,
ooh, i forgot to add that i like journey as well and muse kinda has it too, but it isn't as mellow.

i like that shoegaze aproach. like how its mellow on the surface, with lots of passion trying to come out

dear God, now i realise why i'm a music student, i sound like a nut.
Quote by turncoat60%
why dont you just listen to shoegaze. 20x better than these bands

well, do you have any shoegaze band suggestions?
my bloody valentine - Loveless (this is essential)
ride - nowhere
The jesus and mary chain - psychocandy
slowdive - souvlaki
a place to bury strangers - s/t

i dont listen to much shoegaze but these albums rule
I know that this is going to be slammed w/lots of negative comments, but I'm a big boy, so I'll be ok. Anyway, there used to be a Christian rock band called Delirious. Their stuff is very U2ish.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
i actually have all their cd's

i didn't want to mention it either lol

if they dad the edge shimmer you would be hard pressed to tell them apart.