Hello guys, My desktop recently crapped out on me, and my brother who moved out just recently gave me his old powerbook g4 that he never used.. I know this is not a mac forum but I know some people have the knowledge about computers and recording softwares.

I started it up, the charger isn't charging the battery, but it works with a charger hooked up..
I'm going to be replacing the battery on the powerbook, so it'll be easier to handle. I tried going on youtube, and play some music videos, but it barely handles 360p playback. 240p was perfect, but it was not what I planned for.. Maybe upgrading some things would speed things up?

It's a PowerBook G4, 15" Aluminum 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 1.5gb ram DDR SDRAM, 80GB HDD, version 10.5.8. 2 usb ports airport extreme. firewire, expansion, dvd superdrive..

I was hoping to buy a Pod Studio UX and start recording some demos, and play around as my home amp, plugged into my decent computer speakers. I also want to know if I can use REAPER/GARAGE BAND/CUBASE/GUITAR PRO softwares without lag/freeze.

I don't play games, I'm strictly using this laptop for music entertainment/studio/web purposes only.

Let me know what upgrades should I do, I'm happy to spend money on it, but if it's not worth it to upgrade this laptop, point me out to directions of other media laptops, It doesn't need to be a mac, this is my first mac, and I find it really useful for music, I don't really want to have to throw it away.
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Fender Hot Rod Tweed Deluxe
- Crybaby->EBVPJr->TU-2->TS9->OCD->NS-2->DD-20->DL4->RV-5
You'll need more RAM and a better processor, but there are probably other problems with it that would be hard to fix. Realistically you'd probably have to replace almost everything to make it any good.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Well the prices for parts on a powerbook g4 isn't that bad.. they are all less than 50 on ebay.
Max ram for my laptop is 2gb, so I can buy another 1gb for 20$.. and I don't know if I can upgrade my processor.
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Fender Hot Rod Tweed Deluxe
- Crybaby->EBVPJr->TU-2->TS9->OCD->NS-2->DD-20->DL4->RV-5