Hey... Really newbie question here, but I just recently hot rodded my old Squier Standard Stratocaster after leaving it for a few years and now I'm having trouble with the 6 saddle adjustors... First off I don't know how to turn those damn screws in the front of it, and second, in regard to the back screws, which position is best to have those in? Thanks in advance
I just went through the same thing for the first time. You just need to take a small screwdriver and adjust them so that the harmonic above the 12th fret of each string is in tune
GEAR
Squier Strat

Custom Audio Electronics MC404 CAE Wah
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss RC-3 Looper

Marshall JVM 205C
So am I going for a really tiny screwdriver? Cause I have a pretty small one that doesn't do the trick and my smallest alan key is too big for the hole (that's what she said)
Quote by Nooes4Neckties
So am I going for a really tiny screwdriver? Cause I have a pretty small one that doesn't do the trick and my smallest alan key is too big for the hole (that's what she said)

the vertical adjustment screws, depending on the type of bridge there are 6 or 12, are the ones that use a hex key (or allen wrench), and they use a really tiny one at that. These you should adjust first to make sure that the action is low enough for your liking and high enough not to get a lot of Fret Buzz. there is a little leeway here, as these you set to your preference.

The horizontal screws are bigger and use a regular Phillips-head Screwdriver. They set the intonation and need to be set fairly exact. If these are off, then it will be impossible for you to play in tune. Check out how to intonate your guitar for instructions on how to do this.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Ya, I understand adjusting action, I just couldn't for the life of me get those 12 screws to turn... So it's a really really tiny hex key?
Yes it's a really tiny hex key
GEAR
Squier Strat

Custom Audio Electronics MC404 CAE Wah
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss RC-3 Looper

Marshall JVM 205C
Yes, it's a really tiny hex key. It's like a 1.5mm, but chances are you're dealing with "X"ths of an inch, which then I think it's like 1/16", not 100% on it though.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by ac/dcfan5000
I just went through the same thing for the first time. You just need to take a small screwdriver and adjust them so that the harmonic above the 12th fret of each string is in tune

The harmonic note at the 12th fret will always be the same note as when playing the open strings whether it's in tune or way out of tune. Testing the intonation by using harmonics won't show that it's flat or sharp. I've tried it that way before and it showed to be in tune, but when I fretted the 12th fret on each string, they were either flat or sharp.

To properly intonate each string, make sure each string is in tune and then FRET each string at the 12th fret and adjust accordingly. If the note at the 12th fret is flat, adjust the saddle forward and if the note is sharp, adjust the saddle backward.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Last edited by TH3M B0N3Z at Aug 22, 2011,