I only own one guitar, but am picking up a second soon. Currently I own a LTD EC-1000, and will soon be getting a schecter solo-6 custom.

When I get the schecter I will keep it standard (or somewhere around that)

However, for the LTD I want to get it setup so that it stays in either drop A or Drop B (or a standard version of those). The way its set up now (along with the strings) don't really allow me to play it that low. There are a lot of songs I want to try out in those settings so it would be nice to have something readily available.

However, I hear that in most cases baritone guitars are best. I don't really want to buy a baritone guitar, so I am wondering if it will work out ok if I get the LTD set up for lower tunings. When I say set up, I mean get it fitted with heavier gauge strings.

This leads to the second issue; what strings should I use? I currently use ernie ball hyrbids. I used to use skinny top/heavy bottoms, but I don't know if those will be ok for the lower tunings. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
It will work fine, but a baritone is always recommended... I'd probably use 11s or 12s in B... remember that'll require a truss rod tweak, so take it to a tech if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

I was planning on taking it to a tech, i've messed with the truss rod before but I can never get it to work out the way I need it to.
On that little guitar just about any strings will be floppy in drop B or drop A. Your best bet would be to buy .014 gauge strings (you'll need to mail order or get 7-string sets and ditch the high e), and if the low string is still too loose, add something even heavier. You'll need to get the nut opened up to take the big strings, so just have a new nut made and save the one you have in case you need to switch back later (not much market for guitars in drop A).

Honestly, just look for a baritone. Schecter has done great Hellraiser and Blackjack baritone models over the years that sell used for under $400. I've had my Blackjack EX for a year and a half and it's definitely my best guitar.
Beware of the Omen 6. Mine sounds OK, but the finish is crap, and everything keeps coming loose: pups, pots, knobs, switch, tuners, neck, im even afraid if the frets wont fall off...
There shouldnt be any problem with some 11's/12's and a truss rod tweak, you can have it set to baritone and it wont have a problem
I have a guitar with 24.75' set to drop A with 12' on it.

Much as I loved my baritone. You really won't need one dude. Especially if you don't want one either.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
It's a tone/feel issue. You don't /need/ a baritone for low tunings at all.

My thumb rule for detuning is to go up a size for each 2 semitones you detune:

.009 for E and D#
.010 for D and C#

And so on. If you're drop tuning you might want to get a separate low string or buy them fance light-heavy sets.

For drop A in 25.5 I'd probably say a .013 set with say .065 as the low A at least.
I have to say that baritone guitars are great. There are pros and cons of each. (sorry if I was late, but this post is for anyone who wanted help choosing between the 2)

Baritone Pros: The baritone has a rich tone to it because it was meant to play the low A and B (baritones have a longer neck). It looks cooler (in my opinion) when you use it to play a gig. It was created in the late 50's for playing surf rock and westerns. It is wonderful for playing tic-tac bass lines.

Baritone Cons: It can't play the highest notes like a regular guitar can. In my opinion though, you aren't giving up too much as the guitar at most a perfect fifth lower than a guitar if tuned right (if you aren't an attention hog or you think playing up high is a gimmick, then it shouldn't be a problem). BARITONE ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND!!! Guitar Center has a few, but the cheapest is $350.

7 String Pros: If you want to play a guitar that can play low but can retain the high notes, then look no further as the 7 String is the best choice. The 7 String has a rougher, but harder in the tone so for you metalheads the 7 String would probably be your best option as the Baritone is more melodic. 7 Strings are WAY more common than Baritones and some 7 Strings are as cheap as $150.

7 String Cons: If you aren't used to the concept of 7 Strings, then the baritone is the better choice. Some people won't like the rough sound of the 7 String. The cheaper, the shittier. Most likely, if you spend less than $250, then you will probably get a bad guitar.

I love both. It comes down to this. If you want a clean sound, get a Baritone. If you want a hard rock sound, get a 7 String.
Last edited by c_man at Sep 10, 2011,
you should be good with 12 gauge but if you like a bit of tension go with 13s. Try the 12s first though because theyre probably going to be easier to play
15 years old playing 4 years and no lessons. Guitars:Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Amps:Peavey 6505+ head, Peavey Classic 50 combo, Peavey audition 110. Effects:IbanezTS-9, Dunlop535qwah, BossMT-2. YouTube A7Xguitarplayer0272
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Beware of the Omen 6. Mine sounds OK, but the finish is crap, and everything keeps coming loose: pups, pots, knobs, switch, tuners, neck, im even afraid if the frets wont fall off...

You must have bought a crap QC one. My omen 6 is completely fine and it's from 04. And the last owner I know treated it like shit
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Having a Baritone is like saying you're Bisexual.
You can't decide whether you want to be a straight guitar player or a gay bass fingerer.
I'm sorry I had to do it. :p
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
Having a Baritone is like saying you're Bisexual.

It's more like having a thing for husky guys. Trust me, I have both
Quote by jpnyc
It's more like having a thing for husky guys. Trust me, I have both

Ooo delish
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads