Well, 6 months into really playing I have chord strumming down decently enough along w/ bare chords to play a handful of songs, entertain myself and others OK. I want to get into electric and I see a lot more picking in electric guitar, so I decided to dive into it. Plus, people love solo's...

I'm on day 2 and I can just about stumble through Wish You Were Here's first solo...
grab a snickers, it's gonna be awhile.

I'm not confident in where my pick needs to be per single string. I started the habit of using my pinky as an anchor as I was told that's the proper way.

Any tips? How proficient were you when starting picking?
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Man, I don't even remember the first time I started electric. I took lessons as a kid for a few years, so maybe learning a scale or two and get used to the hand to hand coordination would be a good place to start. Or not.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Learn and practice pentatonic scales. Most solos, especially wish you were here, are based off them.
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
I started off a strummer acoustic player for a while before ever really getting into lead type stuff and i found it took me a few adjustments to help me along.

First is to "choke" up on the pick by having approximately a centimeter or less of the pick outside of your grasp. When i began playing and was just strumming i used to have a ton of the pick outside and no control with single notes

make sure the point of the pick is pointed straight and not at an angle. Make sure the pick is at a slight angle to the strings and not parallel with them. This will help u "cut" through the strings easier.

The pinky idea is good and will help u out a bunch as well

I've learned most of my guitar from a guy on youtube named justin sandercoe who has a great tutorial on this you should definitely check out as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe#p/search/0/1JBxNFEg0nU

best of luck

Jeff K
use alternative picking and go slow untill you get the hang of the rythm and the movements, after that it's not that difficult to speed it up a little