So I was doing some research as I'm about to buy a Decimator and I was looking into the differences between the standard model and the G string. While I was looking around, I came across this post on a forum:

Quote by Ernesto
The ISP Decimator is a downward expander. The unit itself is not coupled to your brain to know when exactly it has to gate hard, expand downward, or start expanding, therefore it is just a downward expander just like any other downward expander. The G version has adaptable input levels for both channels.
Overall, just like the new Alesis 3632, which is also a compressor, has a side chain, and is also a hard noisegate.
Most PA boards are equipped with such units, so a noisegate is not really necessary in most cases.
For some metal stuff, on some equipment, a hard noisegate might be useful to get really tight chops with very high gain when there is a lot of feedback. A downward expander is sadly often contraproductive.
I almost never need a downward expander, and if I do, I just use a real noisegate, that is a hard gate, not a downward expander that eats half of the attack of the first pick after a sustained note. If I do I use my 20 year old Alesis 3630, channel B is set to -10 dB and covers the amp input, channel A is set to +4 dB and covers the amp's effects loop. I then take some time to finetune the threshold, and only program the effects loop with the noise gate in on those patches that are really over the top. I tried downward expanders from Rocktron, ISP, and they clipped on the output signal of my JVMs, which can reach a solid +10 or more dB of output level, plus like I said they eat attack, and the audio quality of the signal flowing through is less than on the old Alesis 3630 or the Behringer Composer. The Behringer is also a very popular unit, used by Hetfield a.o.. Sometimes I also use the compressor part a bit to get some extra loudness or consistency, or just to limit the level of the JVM's FX loop.
For studio recording, advanced noise gating, for instance with very old noisy effects that change their noise behaviour over time or with the signal, can be done using the side chain of the 3630, whilst the ISP or Rocktron units have no such thing.
Strange thing is: the ISP stuff costs 4-5 times as much as the popular Alesis and Behringer units. And if you really want a downward expander, the new Alesis 3632 will also provide that kind of functionality.

So, considering that I don't know much about noise gates in general, can I get some people's thoughts on this post? I do want to go with a pedal, as I'm not too interested in rack gear right now. However, I guess what I'm thinking about is what the guy's final sentiment is, that ISP's stuff is kinda pricey and I'm wondering if there's something else I should be looking at for eliminating extra noise and feedback. I don't mind spending the money on a Decimator/G-string, but I just want to know if there's something more efficient like this guy makes it out to be. I'd also like to hear the opinions and inputs of the UG guys and what they have to say about this guy's perspective. For those curious, this would be for a Schecter Hellraiser through a BOSS TU-2 and a Fulltone FullDrive 2 into a Mesa Roadster. Thanks!
Ben
I have a G-string and it does the job for me. Better than the Boss NS-2.
Haven't tried the others mentioned there.

Also never judge a product or technology on what one person says. It may work great for HIM and HIS SETUP. But who is to say it will work for yours?
Yeah, but his solutions are 4-5 times less expensive (or so he claims).
Where did you find the original thread?
Scientists write papers and books. Engineers make money.
How a noise gate works really depends on where your noise is coming from and how/where you have it hooked up.

What is causing your noise that you necessitate a gate?
I want to say it's my FullDrive 2. I've used plenty of different cables, and I'm powering it with a 1spot. I am running the FD2 into a Roadster and playing pretty high gain music, so a little noise/hum/feedback seems natural to me. Right now I think I'm just gonna get the G-string. I just thought this was an interesting approach to gating that I hadn't really considered before. I guess it doesn't really apply to me much since I'm not using rack stuff, though.
Ben
Have you tried the Fulldrive 2 using a battery to see if it was quieter? Daisy chaining pedals can cause noise/hum.
Yeah, it's pretty much the same. I don't have any problems with my clean channel. It's just the high gain stuff where I'm using the OD to tighten up the sound.
Ben
Also, here's a follow up question. I'm definitely buying used, and I could get a Decimator for around $80. I cannot find a used Decimator G string consistently, though. So, would I be better off buying two Decimators for around $140ish or just biting the bullet and buying the G string? I'm thinking I could always sell one of the Decimators if using both is overkill.
Ben
I really don't have any experience with the G major but a really good thing to do to cut down noise is to put a noise gate at the beginning AND at the end of your chain. It cuts noise going in from being amplified and cuts the noise generated by the pedals going out. You can keep the thresholds a lot lower this way and it doesn't ruin your dynamics. This probably doesn't help in the decision though. I don't use rack gear so I personally would buy pedals.
Well the G Major is a unit by TC Electronics. The Decimator G String is a pedal by ISP based on the ProRack G or whatever it's called, their rack unit. Basically the G String has an in, out, send, and return, so it runs in front of the amp and in the FX loop simultaneously.
Ben