I will soon be buying an Electric-Acoustic guitar (my first; only ever had a cheap classical)
I'll probably buy either a case and an amp along with it (hopefully both but I don't think I can afford both)

Now, I've been doing some online window-shopping and have noticed at least on three different stores, that they have a "Amps for electric-acoustic guitars" category. And there's my question... what would the difference be between an amp for an electric-acoustic guitar and a regular amp?

Can I only use those? Are those supposed to sound better? etc etc.
The difference is that the a-e amp will be specifically eq'd to sound better with an acoustic-electric. There's no rule that says you have to use a specific amp for anything and I've personally had loads of fun running an acoustic-electric into a Fender DeVille.
Squier VM Jazzmaster
Superfuzz/ RAT/ OCD /DE7/ Spring Chicken/ DL-4
Vox AC15C1/ Ampeg Jet 12T/ Guitar Rig
Amps specially made for an electric-acoustic are meant to sound better for them. That said, if you fiddle about enough on some normal electric guitar amps they'll also sound great. I haven't had any experience in the area with electric-acoustic amps though, so can't give you any recommendations there...

Another thing for you to consider is that lots of people with electric-acoustics don't have amps for them, they simply plug it into the PA system of the place that they're playing at, or even buy their own PA.
I don't own an acoustic amp but seeing as they are designed around acoustic guitars it's safe to say that they would produce a truer(fuller) sound. Now how much a difference? I don't know, I guess it would depend on the pickup's in the acoustic. If they are cheap then I don't imagine a huge difference between the 2, but if they are decent quality it could make a big one.

But since your going to be at a guitar shop anyhow you might as well just plug your acoustic into a normal amp and then to an acoustic amp and compare the 2.
Obviously there's a difference, otherwise they wouldn't sell amps specially designed to amplify acoustic guitars...
Plugging an electro-acoustic guitar in a regular (electric guitar) amp will result in not so great sound. Usable, but not beautiful.
If you want to amplify your guitar, there are two possibilities:
- amps for electro-acoustic guitars
- monitor

The second possibility is pretty popular, since the sound produced by a monitor is just a neutral amplification of the incoming signal. And that's what you want. Amplifying your signal, but not coloring it.
The monitor also allows you to plug in (and amplify) a vocal microphone, which is useful for so many acoustic players.

A regular electro-acoustic amp won't allow for vocal amplification, but will deliver beautiful guitar sounds.

What will give a better guitar sound? A guitar amplifier. But if you're on a budget, a monitor is a very decent solution.
Scientists write papers and books. Engineers make money.
Thanks for the replies!
Basically, I wanted to know if there was anything to it or it was just a marketing ploy and if there was anything different in the technology itself that might lead to either the guitar or the amp getting damaged, for example.
Acoustic amps are basically flat response amps - like a PA. I've never seen much use for them because you have to have a PA for the vocals anyway so why not just run through that?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Acoustic amps are basically flat response amps - like a PA. I've never seen much use for them because you have to have a PA for the vocals anyway so why not just run through that?

that is basically what i was gonna say. electro-acoustic amps will probably have more neutral sounding speakers, flatter response, and might even have a 2-way system (two different size speakers or a tweeter and speaker).

electric guitar amps will tend to have more colorful speakers, a dip in the mids, and be more responsive. they'll also tend to be more oriented toward distorted tones while acoustic amps will want to remain clean.

as a side note, acoustic style amps tend to be solid state more often. it's somewhat hard to find an eletric-acoustic tube amp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 21, 2011,
I doubt I'll be able to afford anything tube anytime soon, either way. :P

I mean... After a whole lot of saving and selling stuff, I've raised a whooping budget of $515
Quote by Lord Kamina
I doubt I'll be able to afford anything tube anytime soon, either way. :P

I mean... After a whole lot of saving and selling stuff, I've raised a whooping budget of $515

why not just get a PA?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/phonic-powerpod-740-plus--s715-pa-package/630489000000000

for example, that package is under 500 bucks, would amplify acoustic guitar just fine and has more inputs for vocals and keyboards and the like. there are plenty of other packages that are similar.

what guitar are you specifically trying to amplify. i am not sure if we are even giving the correct advice.

-ae
I don't have the guitar yet; that budget is basically the guitar and whatever extra I can tack on/haggle from the salesman.

And I'm getting a Walden N550CE
Quote by Lord Kamina
I don't have the guitar yet; that budget is basically the guitar and whatever extra I can tack on/haggle from the salesman.

And I'm getting a Walden N550CE

yeah, you could just get a PA and be fine. looks like you need something even cheaper though if that is your total budget.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger-APS15-15--Powered-PA-Speaker-105122774-i1430143.gc

that is a powered pa speaker with a mixer built in so you could plug the guitar right in. you'd need something like that. or a more robust PA.

-ae