I've tried Googling up and the results see to show that it's impossible...I just want to learn a bassline from a song, but want to isolate it (I realise that it's virtually impossible to do so with all of the other instruments backing it) enough so I can hear it more clearly.

Are there any ways of doing so, and if possible, could you give me an at least semi-in-depth description how?

My first post in here, so hi all!

Many, many thanks.

Cheers.
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
It's impossible unless you have the master tracks.

They aren't separate after they've been mastered, it's just a stereo track at that point, with all the source files mixed together.

Best you can hope for it to just listen carefully and take it slowly.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
A few things you could try:
- isolate the center channel, since that bass is usually panned dead center in a mix
- EQ and cut all high frequencies - you'll be left with a horrible, "bass-y"-sounding track, but it could help.
You'll probably still hear drums and some guitars/vocals/whatnot, but it's worth a try.

EDIT: Yeah, and after that it's all up to your ears.
I don't have a signature
I always had the same problem until I found Guitar Pro...it is awesome! It'll cost around £30 (unsure what means in terms of Dollar's or Euro's) but it allows you to download any song from the Ultimate Tabs site into Guitar pro whereby you can then play along with the song or isolate each instrument as required....try it!
Quote by bluestu12
I always had the same problem until I found Guitar Pro...it is awesome! It'll cost around £30 (unsure what means in terms of Dollar's or Euro's) but it allows you to download any song from the Ultimate Tabs site into Guitar pro whereby you can then play along with the song or isolate each instrument as required....try it!

I doubt he'd be asking this if he had a tab for the song.
EDIT: What are you like an adbot or something?
REGGIE
Impossible, sorry. You can work with an EQ to enhance it but never, ever isolate it unless the song is mixed in 5.1 with one channel used only for the bass, or bass and drums.
I know "Transcribe!" does this thing where after you EQ it, you can pitch it up an octave to make the bass parts a bit less muddy. Helps a little bit with a few songs, but obviously you don't need Transcribe! to do it.
REGGIE
Okay, thanks guys (And I'll try that ^ Muddy!).

I did know that you can't properly isolate it, but I thought there may be a really good way of sort of nearly accomplishing that or something.

And yeah, I use Guitar Pro, but the only tab of the song on this site is incredibly awful, without sounding horrible.

How would I go by isolating the centre channel? I now where my Pan fader/thing is, but how would I just isolate the Centre of it?

Quote by slash_GNR666

I'll keep everyone updated if it helps or not!!!
Quote by slash_GNR666

As far as I know, that's only possible if you have the master tracks. The best bet is to check YouTube or other sites for the bass tracks, or use one of the setting-change options the other folks here have mentioned.
What specific song are you looking for, by the way?

Quote by bluestu12

Or you google TuxGuitar, which does exactly the same and is completely free. (Compatible with GuitarPro files)
And yeah-Even if I could contact the band I doubt they'd send me the master track, and even if they did, I assume that there'd be a big, big price. :/

It's by a band called Crashdïet! The song is called "It's a Miracle". Basically they're a band that formed within the last decade but are heavily inspired by 80's hair metal bands like Motley Crue and the like.
Quote by slash_GNR666

Check on songsterr.com

They have an "EQ" up where you press play, etc. Click it and once it drops down you can take out whatever you want. It's kinda cheesey being midi, but it's awfully useful especially if the bass is in the weeds.
You could probably EQ down to the bass, but you'd still have the kick drum in the mix, as they occupy the same frequencies.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Just a suggestion, I get Midi versions of the song and place it into cubase. This then separates all the tracks out. so you can then just mute all the other tracks to hear the midi bass. Thats how i do it anyway
Just use your ear to come up with a part that compliments the song, it doesn't have to be exactly like the studio recording if you can't hear it that well

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I had something similar to GuitarPro once and it was free. It wasn't the Tux one though. I was running Windows at the time. I'll see if I can dig around and remind myself of the name. It covered more than just guitar I think.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Thanks guys, I'll check out Songsterr, and play with the EQ a little bit.

As for programs similar to Guitar Pro and the like, don't worry; I can't find a decent bass tab of it on UG at all. There's a Guitar Pro version, but it is very, very wrong, which is my problem.

But yeah...is it way too complicated to explain over the net how I would go by EQ-ing the song till there is only the bass and the kick left?

Words cannot express how grateful I'd be!

Thanks guys

EDIT: Oh, and I use Mixcraft (it's a recording, editing mixing etc. program I use!), which has an Equalizer on there, so yeah Thanks!
Quote by slash_GNR666

Last edited by coco-loco at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by ChemicalFire
You could probably EQ down to the bass, but you'd still have the kick drum in the mix, as they occupy the same frequencies.

Done! Thanks heaps!

I've been working on it on and off, and I just messed around with it then and got it using the EQ, so thanks a ton! I alrady knew about being able to boost the levels using the EQ, but I didn't know that I could do it so acutely, insofar as practically eliminating the other instruments.

Thanks heaps though, and I'm working on the bass tab now

So yeah, cheers
Quote by slash_GNR666

cut the high mids and boost the low mids and you'll have mostly bass with the other instruments down really low

maybe drums or vocals will bleed through good depending on the EQ on the drums and the singer's range
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E