So I recently got a new Mac that comes with GarageBand, and I'm pretty excited about it. I had thought of recording before, but was too lazy to get an interface or all the gear that's associated with it. But now that I have an interface already, I'd like to actually start recording some songs.

My recordings aren't going to be anything fancy. At all. Just like a guitar and a vocal track, maybe a bass if I feel like it needs it. But what sort of mic will I need for that? Will a simple USB mic just be able to plug into my computer and I'll be good to go? How can I do a direct line in? I'm completely new to this (actually, I recorded with my old band, but I never did any of the computer work) and would really like some help.

Thanks in advance,
Luke

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
If you're just going to be recording your acoustic, then a USB mic would probably do the trick for you. If you are looking at more of electric and using the onboard VSTs in Garageband then you will need an interface.

As far as what to look at, The Line 6 POD Studio series aren't a bad place to start. They are a good sounding interface and the POD Farm software gives you a lot of different options for as far as different amp sounds and vocal presets.

I don't have too much experience with USB mics so I can't really recommend you anything but I hope this will at least help you out with getting started.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Hm...I guess I was wrong about what I thought an interface was. I thought it was just the software, as in, GarageBand is an interface. Apparently it's not. So what is it? And do I NEED one?

Also, I was thinking I would record my electric guitar through my amp, not using the modeling stuff on GarageBand. Would a USB mic do the trick for that?

Basically, what would I need to record the sound coming from my amp?

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Like I said I'm not too familiar with the usb mics, so I don't know how well it would work for recording your amp. You still may be better off looking at an interface and getting yourself a mic. A good all around mic to start with would be a Shure SM57.

As far as an interface, the Line 6 POD Studio UX1, will give you an XLR input for the mic, as well as a regular 1/4" for your guitar in case you decide to use the amp sims in GarageBand.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.