Recently I've got back into meditating because it makes me feel better.

Yesterday, during meditation, I noticed I reached a new level of relaxation; complete silenece in my head. It was then I felt as if I was looking at myself from across the room. I could see myself sitting on the floor perfectly. It didn't last long, but it felt real.

After this I read a little about outer body experiences, but they all link it to a more spiritual side of things.

Can anyone tell me what this was? I meditate for 15 minutes a day (sometimes twice but that day it was just once) it was around 4pm and I had just come out of the shower.
Last edited by rocknrollstar at Aug 21, 2011,
well isn't meditation there as an act of connecting to your spirit.
and an out of body experience is classed as a spiritual thing

so therefore we are bleach

But yeah, i don't really no, nor is it exactly my thing, but if it happened to you well don't doubt it.
I always thought it was an "out-of-body experience"
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

yeah its Hypnagogia. out of body experiences don't happen.

there have been experiments that try to do this via a camera and monitor glasses. but thats nothing more than tricking the brain into adopting a different limb.
Last edited by Marshmelllow at Aug 21, 2011,
Quote by Martindecorum
well isn't meditation there as an act of connecting to your spirit.
and an out of body experience is classed as a spiritual thing

so therefore we are bleach

But yeah, i don't really no, nor is it exactly my thing, but if it happened to you well don't doubt it.

I use meditation to relax. I'm not saying it's not for that, I'm just saying I'm not aware of it so my brain wouldn't connect it you know? EDIT: I mean I'm not searching for anything spiritual, so why would I find it. That's what I mean.

Quote by fearofthemark

I've heard both, synonym maybe? I dunno, long as people get what I mean.

Quote by Marshmelllow
yeah its Hypnagogia. outer body experiences don't happen.

there have been experiments that try to do this via a camera and monitor glasses. but thats nothing more than tricking the brain into adopting a different limb.

I'll look into this.
Quote by fearofthemark

I've heard both terms used. I guess it's just where you're from.

Edit: Beaten to it.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Sounds cool. Good on you for meditating. I wouldn't have the patience quite honestly...I don't think...
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Quote by coco-loco
Sounds cool. Good on you for meditating. I wouldn't have the patience quite honestly...I don't think...

basically, its sleep for hippies. no more need entering.
Quote by coco-loco

Thanks man. I usually set my alarm for 15 minutes and I do it on the floor. I'm still new to it but I do feel happier, so I guess I'm doing something right.

Quote by Marshmelllow
basically, its sleep for hippies. no more need entering.

Whatever it is, feels good man.
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
I don't know what you're on, but I want some!

It's probably marijuana
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by rocknrollstar
Lol afraid not man.

The hardest drug I've touched recently is caffeine.

Totally tuuuuuuuuuubular maaaaaaaaan

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It's definitely 'out of.'

You can't have an outer body experience because you don't have an outer body. Or an inner body. You just have a body.

The word 'body' is now meaningless to me. Is it even a word?

Body, body, body.

I don't think it is anymore...
Out of body experiences do happen because that is the name we give to the thing where people percieve themselves to be outside their body. If we didn't call it that we'd have to call it "the thing where people percieve themselves to be outside their body", which is longer.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Was that aimed at me? I knew all that. I was just explaining why 'outer body' doesn't work.
Nah, it was aimed at the thread in general. Because I couldn't be arsed scrolling up to see who it was who said they didn't happen.

EDIT: TS, I think what you heard was "out o' body experience"
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 21, 2011,
Yeah. I don't believe in the supernatural 'I floated up into the air and looked down and there was my body and I flew out the window and into the street, kidnapped a baby with my spirit powers and stole knickers from a retirement home' Out of body experience, but I definitely agree that it applies to the more grounded version.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Totally tuuuuuuuuuubular maaaaaaaaan

lmao

Quote by RU Experienced?
You are accurate, the TS is stupid.

You're so cool. I hope one day I can be as cool as you.

Quote by Butt Rayge
Yeah. I don't believe in the supernatural 'I floated up into the air and looked down and there was my body and I flew out the window and into the street, kidnapped a baby with my spirit powers and stole knickers from a retirement home' Out of body experience, but I definitely agree that it applies to the more grounded version.

Me either man, that's why I was suprised it happened. I didn't expect anything other than being relaxed.
There's no confirmed definition for this sort of thing. I read somewhere that could possibly be an over-stimulation of some part of the brain, and there are others who believe it is an 'astral' or 'ethereal' part of the self that separates from the physical.
It's also rather closely related to lucid dreaming, which I happen to have a thread on. Link is in my sig if you want to ask there or talk about anything related to such phenomenon without a bunch of joke answers
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
i enjoy in 'er body experiences more

giggidy
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by rocknrollstar
Thanks man. I usually set my alarm for 15 minutes and I do it on the floor. I'm still new to it but I do feel happier, so I guess I'm doing something right.

That's what she said.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
That's what she said.

And we have a winner!
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Simply because I could breed the pokemon, and act out my sick sexual fantasies between Dittos and Chanseys.

Quote by bequickorbedead
She had sex..with my...AIDS?
if you've ever done drugs, thats why it happened

LAY OFF THE DRUGS LOL
One goal of meditation, at least in Hinduism, is to separate yourself completely from your physical body, that is why in Yoga for example, they put their legs behind their heads, etc... so that they can meditate at a level where not even pain touches their oneness with everything (or nothing).

It can be spiritual in nature, also, where the goal is to be one with your perception of a higher power.

That said, I believe that you can achieve this type of experience that you had while meditating, only it isn't yourself actually looking at yourself from outside your body, it is you looking at yourself from within your mind.

I've heard of similar experiences with people that trip on acid but again, it's inside the mind, I believe, and nothing more.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

It's "out of body" (anyone who thinks it's "outer body" probably also thinks that the term is "for all intensive purposes") and I'm fairly well convinced that most instances can be explained as a) placebo or b) hypnagogic imagery/lucid dreaming.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Aug 21, 2011,
FYI, thread, out-of-body experiences are well documented. They most certainly do exist, and along with near-death experiences, they have a strong scientific basis.

Also, meditation isn't hippy bullshit either. It's a form of therapy that's effective for a number of things.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
FYI, thread, out-of-body experiences are well documented. They most certainly do exist, and along with near-death experiences, they have a strong scientific basis.

Also, meditation isn't hippy bullshit either. It's a form of therapy that's effective for a number of things.

Quote by Marshmelllow
yeah its Hypnagogia. out of body experiences don't happen.

Wait, what? This didn't make sense to me. Can you please explain? It sounds interesting.
Quote by mystical_1
One goal of meditation, at least in Hinduism, is to separate yourself completely from your physical body, that is why in Yoga for example, they put their legs behind their heads, etc... so that they can meditate at a level where not even pain touches their oneness with everything (or nothing).

It can be spiritual in nature, also, where the goal is to be one with your perception of a higher power.

That said, I believe that you can achieve this type of experience that you had while meditating, only it isn't yourself actually looking at yourself from outside your body, it is you looking at yourself from within your mind.

I've heard of similar experiences with people that trip on acid but again, it's inside the mind, I believe, and nothing more.

Yeah man, like I said I'm not a spiritual person. It just felt real. But I agree with the fact that it's all in the mind, that's what I'm trying to achieve with meditation: change my mind to more positive thoughts. The Hinduism thing you mentioned was really interesting, I always wondered why they picked such uncomfortable positions.

Quote by Eastwinn

Have you heard stuff that's similar to what happened to me then? I have, but they said it was a near-death experience when it happened to them.

Also, well played. I've never seen how acupuncture can help someone, but if it does I'm not going to crap all over it. Different strokes, different folks type of deal. I definetly feel better since meditating and even if it was somehow all proven to be crap, I'd still do it cause it makes me feel good.
Quote by rocknrollstar
Have you heard stuff that's similar to what happened to me then? I have, but they said it was a near-death experience when it happened to them.

Also, well played. I've never seen how acupuncture can help someone, but if it does I'm not going to crap all over it. Different strokes, different folks type of deal. I definetly feel better since meditating and even if it was somehow all proven to be crap, I'd still do it cause it makes me feel good.

I've definitely heard of some sort relationship between meditating and out-of-body experiences, but I don't know the mechanism, or if a mechanism is known at all.

The reason why people are skeptical of meditation is because of its spiritual connotations. If you take at face value, it's just relaxing and thinking.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Butt Rayge
It's definitely 'out of.'

You can't have an outer body experience because you don't have an outer body. Or an inner body. You just have a body.

The word 'body' is now meaningless to me. Is it even a word?

Body, body, body.

I don't think it is anymore...

That sounds like the type of shit I recorded myself saying after 2 bottles of Robitussin. "The floor feels funny. No it doesn't. There is no floor. There is only space. Why do they lie to us? The companies? Saying there are floors? This is bullshit." XD