Well look who's joining the battle of the low wattage, boutique-inspired valve amp market.

http://www.prsguitars.com/se20/

Has anyone had any experience with these? It's pretty hard to get PRS gear in AU and haven't seen anywhere that sells their amp, but these things look sweet. Could be a bargain if the guitars are anything to go by. Imagine how it would sound if they had actually EQd it properly in the demo XD. (Although they changed it around for the strat-style PRS)

The gained chord riff reminded me a bit of The Butterfly Effect. Hell keen to see some more demos, that had some effort go into them. This one doesn't really demonstrate the amp's potential but it seems to have a good amount of gain on tap and a modern voicing.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Aug 21, 2011,
That demo sounds awful but I can't imagine PRS putting out a bad sounding amp.

And in terms of pricing I would guess its pretty reasonable if its considered an SE.

If these things end up being sub $500 USD I might end up picking one up.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by Wisthekiller
I tried one. It sounds very standard boutique style. Nothing GREAT actually, but I looked at what I could see, looked very neat inside. It's a good amp if you like that boutique sound.

What does "boutique sound" even mean?
That expression always confused me.
Also, where did you play one? I wasn't aware these were released.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
sounds like it wasn't broken in, but still seemed to have good attack and response.

and prs has already been in the low wattage market, look at the sweet 16. the prs se ones are more budget inspired than anything else.
12AT7s in the loop and phase splitter? There's a possibility this amp might have enough gain to churn out some brootalz if they need to use lower gain tubes in those position to prevent further clipping.

Or it could be there to prevent the amp from clipping too heavily.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
1. Watch it on 720p.
2. The note definition was actually pretty good at times... just needed to trim some of the boominess and tighten up the EQ.

It'd be interesting to hear through a 2x12 or 4x12 cab. Could challenge the Blackstar HT-20, Orange Tiny Terror, Jet City 20 watt etc. Seems like it's got the gain on tap to do hard and modern prog rock and clean up nicely.
Looks interesting.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Does anybody know how much these things cost? I liked the strat through it
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
The gain sounds super fuzzy.. Not like he plays very much to give you an idea. The strat sounded WAY better
/rig
Quote by mespinos
The gain sounds super fuzzy.. Not like he plays very much to give you an idea. The strat sounded WAY better

Yeah, I want to hear a proper demo lol. Not "We've kept these knobs at the same positions as the photo-shoot and I CBF finding a good tone."
WTF? XD

He did eq with the strat though and it sounded good.

He was probably using too much gain too and didn't balance the EQ properly lol.
Quote by JesusCrisp
What does "boutique sound" even mean?
That expression always confused me.

it's suggestive now-a-days. the meaning whatever it means to the user of the word. like using the term 'zesty' for soap.

@raging kitty: there can be many reasons they chose the at-7 over the ax-7 for PI and buffer tubes. just cuz the at- has a lower gain factor than the ax-7 doesn't necessarily mean they chose it for 'less clipping' (the at-7 has a higher current has 10x the current output and ~4x the transconductance). as far as i understand, those aren't even the part of the preamp circuit that 'clips' for what we think of as preamp gain. if the PI distorts or clips you should be seeing that more as 'power tube distortion'.

edit: the amp didn't sound that good to me. fuzzy, non-defined. i loved the 'listen to the note definition of these 6 string chords'... what not definition... sounded like an atonal mess. sounded alright clean, kinda like a deluxe.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 21, 2011,
He didn't even touch the EQ when using the SC, it was at 1 o'clock across the board the whole time. Way too much lower mids, made it sound like a constipated orca playing a baritone kazoo. Roll back the bass and some mid and it might be presentable.
Last edited by Seref at Aug 21, 2011,
Guitar company should make guitars

Amp sounds like poopoo
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

That sounded ****ing horrible. Like badly EQed Linkin Park or...something.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
To be fair, it cleaned up a bit when he cleaned up his strumming, but yeah, I'm pretty sure the guy didn't know what he was doing lol. Is that really the only demo? XD

Overdid it with the gain, bass was a bit boomy, didn't balance it out at all.
Get someone who knows what they're doing to do the demo. I might be interested.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by OliOsbourne
Guitar company should make guitars

Amp sounds like poopoo

suhr and fender would like a word with you.
Quote by coolstoryangus
suhr and fender would like a word with you.

suhr made amp first.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Still waiting for Schecter amps.
Made of abalone, fancy maple veneer and the first and only amps with coiltaps.
Quote by JesusCrisp

oh god you just gave me an erection
Quote by JesusCrisp

most amps have taps on the output transformer
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JesusCrisp
Sounds like crap.

Well, I do like that kind of crunch actually, I already heard a song coming out of my head!
As soon as "I get out of drugs" from buying my Royal Atlantic I might try this one out...
I feel like it has potential, but the guy didn't EQ it at all. It sounded badly EQd to me, and the gain was probably too high. It would've been nice if he'd tried the humbuckers through the clean channel, too.

It does have that "sludgy" lower midrange that seems desirable...it's just too pronounced in the demo. Sounds a little like a badly-dialed-in Orange to me. (And trust me, I have a lot of experience with a badly-dialed-in Orange.)

Apparently Joey Santiago likes it...I do think it would sound exceptionally good for Pixies-style riffs. I wonder how it'd do as a lead amp.

I suppose the only way to find out will be to play it...it may be awesome. Who knows?
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Last edited by sonic_777111 at Aug 25, 2011,
fwiw elderly has the head listed at $895 and the combo at $975. If those are correct, I'd expect the GC price to be somewhere ~$100 less.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV