Hi, for a while me and my dad have been trying to identify the model of our Gibson SG bass but have failed everytime:L
We're pretty sure it's from between 1963-1967 but that's not set in stone
The serial number is 200040

Here's some photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66629471@N03/

Thanks
Quote by whoomit
smoke weed chill an watvch rugrats errday
According to this, it was made in 1964.

I don't know if you can find any better info in here http://www.gibson.com/Files/downloads/bluebook/GibsonElectrics.pdf

Maybe email Gibson with pictures? They might be able to help you.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
According to one of these decoder sites "Your guitar was made at the
Kalamazoo Plant, USA approximately in: 1964"
Hey there.
Well, techically it's a EB3, not a SG Bass. My guide dates it to 1964 (S/N range 200,000-250,000 for 1964), but you have to take that with a grain of salt. Gibson serial numbers in the 1961-1969 range are very iffy. This drives Gibson collectors crazy.

Gibson used the same serial numbers on different guitars, depending apparently on which year it was and how much they had to drink the night before. The original records are lost, and experts provide information on the basis of educated guesses, usually through the process of exclusion. You will probably never be 100% certain of the year of manufacture.
Thanks guys, though there's an EB3 from 1972 with the same scratchplate and lay out of controls and all others from the 60's seem to be different. What you think?
Quote by whoomit
all i can say is that I've never wanted a Gibson bass until I saw those pictures
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
It is amazing to play. And the variety of tones you can solely from moving the chickenhead is ridiculous
Quote by whoomit
Nah i think i'll keep it sorry
Quote by whoomit