Im buying a new guitar and originaly, it was for drop a metal, but im going to use my current one for that. im buying a new one in 8 weeks. i have a budget of £280. i play indie, classic rock, metal , nu metal, rock, prog metal , metalcore etc. i was thinking on an epiphone les paul, or the epiphone nighthawk. this would be for down to drop c. im buying a blackstar ht5 head with a harley benton g112 at christmas, and a dunlop crybaby and mxr fullbore metal pedal to play with it.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Thanks for telling us your shopping list. Did you have a question?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Thanks for telling us your shopping list. Did you have a question?

haha. y u so funny?
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
He's right, you didn't ask anything, you just told us what you're getting...cool, until you get some pics and a NGD thread, nobody cares. Pointless thread is pointless.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Tango616
He's right, you didn't ask anything, you just told us what you're getting...cool, until you get some pics and a NGD thread, nobody cares. Pointless thread is pointless.

amen to this
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by leigh596
haha. y u so funny?

I wasn't attempting to be funny. Posts like this usually feature some sort of question related to whether it's a good choice of equipment, whether it will create the sound you're looking for, or something similar.
You have merely listing the items you are intending to purchase. There appears to be no point to this thread.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
fine - question is - what should i get for my budget and style? this will be used for classic rock, indie and probably some light metal
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
See how much easier that is?

Try looking at an ESP LTD EC-50
Epiphone Special II-special GT
Or and Ibanez ART-100 since you're looking for a Les Paul Shape.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
The Epiphone LP that you're considering would be a good choice for those styles. It's a nice all round guitar which can play all sorts of styles - that's why so many artists who play the styles you're interested in play Les Pauls.

As an alternative, I can recommend the Guild GLP100 Les Paul - my review of it is available on this site (if you look today it's featured on the homepage), it's cheaper than the Epiphone but just as good, if not better. So you aren't just taking my word for it, I also posted a link in the comments section of the review to a video of UG legend Chappers doing a review of that guitar on his youtube channel.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I wouldn't use a LP for drop A or C because of the tricky 24.75" Scale .PRS SE Single cuts and Tremonties have a more workable 25" which are worth the extra £90 invesment and have decent pups stock.
Quote by Tango616
See how much easier that is?

Try looking at an ESP LTD EC-50
Epiphone Special II-special GT
Or and Ibanez ART-100 since you're looking for a Les Paul Shape.

not just a les paul shape! im open to others, i was just told they were good arent they all kinda cheaper? i have £280 which is 320 euros and around $400

Quote by GaryBillington
The Epiphone LP that you're considering would be a good choice for those styles. It's a nice all round guitar which can play all sorts of styles - that's why so many artists who play the styles you're interested in play Les Pauls.

its the Epiphone Les Paul Special Ltd Edition Cherry i looked at, quite nice. i dont want one thats too heavy and as i said its not just lp guitars im guessing the night hawk isnt that good as it hasnt been mentioned?
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by JBaggles
I wouldn't use a LP for drop A or C because of the tricky 24.75" Scale .PRS SE Single cuts and Tremonties have a more workable 25" which are worth the extra £90 invesment and have decent pups stock.

its for standard and possibly a step down, thats all im using my current guitar, which is a piece of shit - for the droptuning stuff
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
im guessing the night hawk isnt that good as it hasnt been mentioned?

Can't provide too much advice about that one as I've never played one, but it's made by Epiphone so it should be OK. Personally I think it just looks like an ugly rip off of a Les Paul, so I wouldn't have one. That's just my opinion though, if you like them, go for it.

Have you been to a shop & tried them out yet?
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by JBaggles

its for standard and possibly a step down, thats all im using my current guitar, which is a piece of shit - for the droptuning stuff
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by GaryBillington
Can't provide too much advice about that one as I've never played one, but it's made by Epiphone so it should be OK. Personally I think it just looks like an ugly rip off of a Les Paul, so I wouldn't have one. That's just my opinion though, if you like them, go for it.

Have you been to a shop & tried them out yet?

nah, just looked at some, theres a guitarguitar about half an hour away, i shall try them soon, just thought the nighthawk looked ok because of the single coil
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
The Nighthawk doesn't get a particularly great review - only 6.8 out of 10. Here's a link:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/epiphone/nighthawk/index.html

I had a quick scan through the comments at the bottom of the review as well - looks like a 50/50 split between people like me who think it's ugly and people like you who think it looks cool!
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
PRS SE Singlecuts, Tremonti, or any of these... awesome axes. If you look for a LP look, the tremonti has the overal same controls, the upper bout switch and as said in other post, the 25 inch scale helps lower tunings..
Quote by n1ckn1ce
PRS SE Singlecuts, Tremonti, or any of these... awesome axes. If you look for a LP look, the tremonti has the overal same controls, the upper bout switch and as said in other post, the 25 inch scale helps lower tunings..

out of my range but :/ i have £280 to spend
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596

Out of those 3, I'd go with the standard ebony for these reasons:
The Special Ltd Cherry - Nothing wrong with it, I just prefer LPs with the curved top.
The Studio Deluxe - I had a white guitar once. Within a few years it had faded to a sort of yellowish colour.
The Standard Ebony - I used to have the Gibson version of this and loved it (I only sold it because I needed the money to buy a motorbike).

Obviously up to you to make the final choice, but I would recommend against the white one unless you're going to keep it in a smoke-free environment, probably also wise to keep it in a case to avoid fading.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Aug 21, 2011,
itll probably be the special, although i dont like the pickup cover things or what ever it is on them, but ill probably change them at some point! thanks for the help!
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by marcelrusu

i heard about agile before! never knew rondo shipped to the uk too, how much will shipping be? i have about £25 to spend on that...
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596
itll probably be the special, although i dont like the pickup cover things or what ever it is on them, but ill probably change them at some point! thanks for the help!

I'm not keen on the look of those style pickups either, they're usually referred to as "soapbar" pickups, I believe the proper name is P90s. Don't change them until you've tried them though - I share your opinion on not liking the look of them, but they usually make a pretty good noise.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud