Page 1 of 2
Back in the day guitarists just plugged their guitar in, eq'd for 10 minutes, and just played. As most tone is in the amp, guitar, and fingers. Its all you need.

Now everyone is so anal about everything. They go over which pickups are superior over the other, which frequencies of pickups are better, which magnets are the best for pickups, which gauge size is best for tone, clear vs coated strings for tone, low action for high action for tone, what pots are the best, nickel vs steel vs bronze strings for the best tone, normal vs jumbo frets for tone....

just plug the damn guitar in the amp and play. You might be amazed at how much better you would be if you quit spending so much damn time trying to find a magic +1% in tone, and just play the damn instrument.
Last edited by egnaterya at Aug 21, 2011,
Guitarists were always anal. The only difference is just that you started playing.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Guitarists were always anal. The only difference is just that you started playing it.

Um Ive been playing for 5 years
Well, then, I'm not sure who you've been hanging out with in the music world. Tone snobs have existed for years and years. ie: Jazz.
Quote by JustRooster
Guitarists were always anal

Yup. Now TS, delete this thread before a flame war starts and you get reported.
If you're referring to the people who come to these forums and talk about that sort of thing, what else would you expect?

Yes, there probably are loads of guitarists out there who just plug in and play, but they don't need advice about that, they just do it. It's the people who want to try things like upgrading pickups that need the advice so they can make the right choices.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The only thing that's changed is there are more options available and a wealth of knowledge accessible on the internet.

I'm certain guitarists have been anal about their tone for a while.
Quote by egnaterya
Um Ive been playing for 5 years

How do you know that the whole shizzle was different "back in the days"?

I doubt you've been around in the 50's or 60's or 70's or 80's or even 90's.
Quote by W4RP1G
The only thing that's changed is there are more options available and a wealth of knowledge accessible on the internet.

+1

I also fail to see how this is a bad thing. Tone kicks ass.
Quote by hawk5211
+1

I also fail to see how this is a bad thing. Tone kicks ass.

Yeah this, in fact - how would these awesome things ever have come along if people were not "anal" about thier pickups, effects, and tone "back in the day"?

eh?
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Guitarists have always been anal. They just couldn't do anything about it before.
When was "back in the day" and why is it always hailed as a better time by people who weren't even born then?
I'm sure if they had all the options that are available today, they'd be just as anal about it.
people who just plug in and play

with the greatest of respect

don't care about the instrument as much as those who come to forums such as this and ask questions.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
people who just plug in and play
with the greatest of respect
don't care about the instrument as much as those who come to forums such as this and ask questions.

I disagree. That is a huge generalisation. With the greatest respect, you are not in a position to judge how much a person "cares" about their instrument. Everyone is different, some people just prefer to play rather than discuss the tools of their craft.
Quote by egnaterya
Now everyone is so anal about everything. They go over which pickups are superior over the other, which frequencies of pickups are better, which magnets are the best for pickups, which gauge size is best for tone, clear vs coated strings for tone, low action for high action for tone, what pots are the best, nickel vs steel vs bronze strings for the best tone, normal vs jumbo frets for tone....

BTW about everything except pickups and pots you mentioned is more of a feel and preference than tone thing.
Quote by sashki
I disagree. That is a huge generalisation. With the greatest respect, you are not in a position to judge how much a person "cares" about their instrument. Everyone is different, some people just prefer to play rather than discuss the tools of their craft.

point taken & accepted. i was just going by what i knew of people i knew.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I can see Dempsey's point, and I actually agree to a point. I think the difference comes in being passionate about playing guitar and being passionate about guitar itself. You can be both, but these forum posters tend to have more feelings towards the latter compared to the group he described.
I have noticed that I play MUCH better, especially when improvising, if I have a tone I like. However, I am not super-picky about what that means. I like lots of tones and try to make the best out of everything.

I work at a guitar store so I can manage to get a tone I like from expensive guitars and amps on the shelf as well as from crappy guitars and practice amps in the lesson rooms. My favorite tone I've found so far comes from a Mahogany body guitar with a maple cap and P90s. I don't know too much about all the specifics such as magnet impedence or fret size and all that stuff, though, because I am just as satisfied as the tones I get from my maple-neck strat. I guess it's just a matter of being able to find that special tone in whatever guitar ends up in your hands.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by JustRooster
I can see Dempsey's point, and I actually agree to a point. I think the difference comes in being passionate about playing guitar and being passionate about guitar itself. You can be both, but these forum posters tend to have more feelings towards the latter compared to the group he described.

wrong. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Angus Young pretty much plugged in and played. But there are teenagers who discuss everything that could relate to tone on here. The teenagers are more passionate than SRV and AY?
5 years hardly is back in the day, I've been at it since '94/'95 and I dont even remember back in the day.

Technoligy has made kind of a science out of tone more so than 20+ years ago. I wish I could have had a modeling amp to start out with, it would have made my musical journey way less expensive.

And back then there was still a vast selection of brands/tones that people like Jimi/Page/SRV COULD choose what best suited them at the time, it was just much harder to find out about everything(Pre-internet days).
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
In a word: No.

1. I wasn't really alive "back in those days" unless you're actually reffering to just 5 years ago.
2. I'd prefer to listen to a tone I can stand and not super mega shrill single coil strat with too much gain and nothing but treble.

Today people bitch about a "generic tone" but it's only "generic" because it's good. Nothing is ever a cleché without a reason. Tone's have never been better for guitars. Solid state amps back then were the essance of shit. Today, with Roland Cubes, Peavey Vypers, Vox's AD's, Solid state amps can get amazing tone.

Sure it's less hassle to just "plug in, amp on, play, don't care about anything."
That's just being ****ing lazy, if I'm going to put effort into the music I write, I'm sure as hell going to put some effort into the tone I have, and how people hear it. An amazing riff with god awful tone would not have the same feel to it if a good riff had great tone.

EDIT: Plus you'd want to practice more if you had a sound you like, nobody wants to play something that produces a sound they can't stand.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Aug 21, 2011,
i don't really know about all this plug and play stuff. A lot of these guys like Vaughan and Beck and Clapton (the list goes on) all had there guitar necks reshaped, pickups rewound, amps tweaked. Its just now the average Joe can get all that stuff off the shelf.
Quote by AcousticMirror
i just plug and play

Yeah, your >2000$ guitars into your >2000$ amps.
Quote by sashki
As all the guitar players "back in the day" did.

Yeah all the $2000+ handwired amps nowdays, were the normal amp in the store!
Back then it was a quality product and that was the focus not profit margins like today.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by JesusCrisp
Yeah, your >2000$ guitars into your >2000$ amps.

just trying to do what they used to do back in the day.

american made, hand crafted, handwired and all that you know.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror

Never said there's anything wrong with that.

This thread is pointless though. Most people who aren't on The Gear Page don't worry about every little variable which could somehow influence the tone. They just know what their preferences are and simply go for the gear that feels and sounds best to them.
I also think that a comfortable to play and good sounding guitar as well as a good sounding amp help inspiring the player.
At least I am not very inspired when playing a stringed piece of crapwood through something that makes it sounds like an angry swarm of bees.
ok i was around back in the day and started to play in the late 70s. i understand what the OP is getting at even if it wasn't presented well. i'll say that although it appears that a lot of these guys just plugged and played that that wasn't really the case. options were far fewer back then but i can assure you that if a multi-fx unit like we have today was available that many of those guys would be lining up for one. keep in mind that hendrix's live set up seems rather crude and simple these days that it was state of the art back then. same can be said for a lot of players in the 60s and 70s.

personally i like to keep it simple and i stick to the older practices. i only use 4 pedals and even those are used somewhat sparingly. most of my sound is just me, guitar and amp. of course i tend to play mostly 70s style hard rock and metal so i can get away with that. if i were playing say Dream Theater then it would be much harder to pull it off with such a simple set up.

you can still plug and play these days and many still do. don't think for a minute that those guys didn't spend hours tinkering with the settings on their amps and the few pedals that were available back then. they did.
SRV was a huge tone *****. He just didn't know his gear.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i know a couple guys that collected back in the 50's and 60's, there were always gear snobs. people used to geek about fender, sunn and marshall way back day when playing their supros and silvertones. btw, back then a sunn or marshall rig could cost as much as a new car.

it's always been around.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 21, 2011,
Quote by AcousticMirror

Definitely true, a better instrument and amp will give a great tone with only slight adjustments for preference. And I think back then, there were so few choices available, and the big amp and guitar companies just made a good amp and guitar, and people just went with it.

Today, many people want a unique sound, or they want a do-it-all amp and guitar, so it's much more important to understand how all of the ingredients affect your tone.

Personally, I think most of the nit-picking people do is negligible because they just don't have an amp for the sound they want. The common mindset in regard to tone seems to be "guitar first, amp second".

The guitar is more a tool for playing the right notes, the amp is a tool for making them sound good.
Quote by egnaterya
wrong. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Angus Young pretty much plugged in and played. But there are teenagers who discuss everything that could relate to tone on here. The teenagers are more passionate than SRV and AY?

Are you serious? Anugs Young and his Gibson SG and Marshall (I think?) amps?

And SRV with his own signature line of products?
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by egnaterya

I think you missed the point of what I was getting at.
So your saying that we all should stop being so anal with our preferences in tone, and just "plug in and play"?

Very well then. Let's all toss all of our gear into a firepit and go out and buy Squire Bullet Strats and Rogue mini amps, and just "plug in and play". All we need is a guitar, amp, and our own fingers and we'll be getting the sounds of PRS customs going into $3000 handwired amps without a problem. Who needs expensive gear if all of our tone is in the fingers? Just "plug in and play".
Quote by Ian_the_fox
So your saying that we all should stop being so anal with our preferences in tone, and just "plug in and play"?

Very well then. Let's all toss all of our gear into a firepit and go out and buy Squire Bullet Strats and Rogue mini amps, and just "plug in and play". All we need is a guitar, amp, and our own fingers and we'll be getting the sounds of PRS customs going into $3000 handwired amps without a problem. Who needs expensive gear if all of our tone is in the fingers? Just "plug in and play".

We shouldn't even use guitar amps, Karoke machines will suffice.
Quote by Vypor
We shouldn't even use guitar amps, Karoke machines will suffice.
It's funny you say that, because I actually have an old Yorx boombox with a mic input that gives a pretty decent stoner tone. I have a full band recording somewhere on my computer that I made a while back. If I find it I'll post a link to it...
this thread is full of misinterpretation and crap understanding

edit: i dont really have an opinion as such, but im pretty sure people back then would be asking the same questions if they had access to the internet, to find out about it all etc. who knows?
STRIKING MINORS
Last edited by Mources at Aug 21, 2011,
Page 1 of 2