Is it wrong to expect my fellow band members to know basic music theory?

If i ask them what key the songs in they have no idea what im on about and they dont understand tension and resolution.

My drummer dosen't even know what a bar is. If i say my solo is going to last for 8 bars he thinks that the chord progression or riff will be played 8 times.
Well, you cant just join a band with a lot of random people and then expect it, but you of course ask them to at least learn thge basics, as that would take little to no effort on their part.
You have a drummer that doesn't know what a bar is? Are you sure he can actually play? Surely that's the first thing any drummer learns before he even picks up a pair of sticks.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
its not wrong i think all musicians should at least know basic theory (rythm,key,few scales)

some might disagree with me though but most of those people dont know theory
ive never met someone who learnt theory that regretted it
I think it helps alot, but I've jammed with alot of people who look at me and think I'm just speaking jiberish.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
You dont need to know rocket science.
But you DO need to know basic stuff like scales, keys, time signatures.

Though tension and resolution isnt what I would call basic

I agree with this guy. Although I'd want my bandmates to know not to make riffs in Locrian all the time

I had band practice friday, and I knew that our singer (and one of my best friends) didn't know a lot of theory, but he freaked out on the other guitarist and I when we asked him to sing in E and not in D like he was. He gets mad and acts like we're know it alls. We're 'pretentious and technical and emotionless and not doing it for the music' because we play more than 3 chords.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
THe first question is, do you enjoy playing with them?

If so, you might nudge them towards a basic understanding of theory. This stuff is important for musicians to be able to talk about this kind of thing.

But honestly, if they're not drawn to it at all, if they just want to wail away, you might be a bad fit with them.

That being said, it is wrong to have any expectations of your bandmates that you haven't communicated and discussed with them.
Quote by GS LEAD 5

Isn't tension and resolution the most important thing you should know ?
Im pretty sure it was one of the first things i learnt.
Quote by GS LEAD 5

I don't really agree.

You need those things only if you can't play right and catch-on quickly without them.

Most people can't though.
Quote by mrbabo91

It is one of the most important aspects, but one of the deepest too. One could get along with just dividing everything into scales and accidentals, but thats just scratching the surface of tension/resolution
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by mrbabo91

Im self taught, and I came across tension and resolution when I started reading up on modes
There are lots of people who can play drums (myself included) who don't know the first thing about music. All you have to do to be a decent drummer is keep a beat and do fills on occasion, and you can't usually expect someone who never took lessons to understand anything about theory, even if they should learn.
Basically if you don't have chemistry with them or don't play well together, than why do something you don't enjoy? Everybody learns differnetly.
Quote by SchecterDean
Basically if you don't have chemistry with them or don't play well together, than why do something you don't enjoy? Everybody learns differnetly.

It all comes with time and practice. Theory on the other hand helps communicating with other musicians and transitioning thoughts into music theyd like to hear
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.