Page 1 of 2
I've played one of these before, and the neck is quite incredible. The only thing i don't like about this guitar is the pickup, but honestly thats an easy switch. I can either buy this guitar now, for 300 or i can wait till christmas, get a better guitar, but be broke on cash for a new multi effects pedal. So what do you guys think? I'm honesty thinking about it i've had a guitar with a floyd rose special, and it was pretty good. Plus grover tuners....and a killer yellow paint that i love, cause i'm fifteen, but seem to think that i was born in the 80's XD

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BCRGUNSLING

Warren Demartini is GOD, face it.
Quote by demartini96
I've played one of these before, and the neck is quite incredible. The only thing i don't like about this guitar is the pickup, but honestly thats an easy switch. I can either buy this guitar now, for 300 or i can wait till christmas, get a better guitar, but be broke on cash for a new multi effects pedal. So what do you guys think? I'm honesty thinking about it i've had a guitar with a floyd rose special, and it was pretty good. Plus grover tuners....and a killer yellow paint that i love, cause i'm fifteen, but seem to think that i was born in the 80's XD

This webdsite says that this one has a Rockfield mafia though, for the same price....i'm confused....

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=62265&Category=Electric_Guitars&p=true
meh....
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
meh....

What is it a bad guitar?
adbot

ot: what style are you looking to play?
Last edited by trollface5 at Aug 21, 2011,
nah, wait till christmas, not the best, but good for the price. specials are okay, better than licensed ones. bu
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
I love mine, although i got one of the limited run ones with a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge and a chopper in the neck, and an OFR, cost me £450 but thats a pretty good deal for an ofr dimarzios, grovers and a silky smooth maple neck, plus its bright red.

Anyways thats a pretty good deal, just swap the pickup and your sweet, although i hate the way you can only get them bright green or yellow now tbh
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Last edited by RetroGunslinger at Aug 21, 2011,
Quote by demartini96
What is it a bad guitar?

People around UG generally have a distaste for B.C Rich, or rather their cheaper guitars, which are usually quite shoddy and poorer in quality compared to others in their price range. Gotta admit it looks pretty sweet though, unlike the more common demonic looking Riches.
REGGIE
Quote by leigh596
nah, wait till christmas, not the best, but good for the price. specials are okay, better than licensed ones. bu

Ok thats not the point i'm just worried about whether or not it really has grover tuners cause look

now look at this

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BCR-GRX-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

If it has bc rich tuners its a no, but honestly bro i'm not worried about the floyd rose special. Those things kick ass i've tried em. All i want to know is if it is a good deal or not.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
I love mine, although i got one of the limited run ones with a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge and a chopper in the neck, cost me £450 but thats a pretty good deal for an OFR, dimarzios, grovers and a silky smooth maple neck, plus its bright red.

Anyways thats a pretty good deal, just swap the pickup and your sweet, although i hate the way you can only get them bright green or yellow now tbh

Hey retro, you think its a good deal? If anyone knows it should be you. I think i'll get it, save like $150 and put in some badass pickup. I think its a great deal, at least if it comes with grover tuners not b.c. rich like american musical says.
It's looks like a decent starter guitar for hair metal. Getting anything that's much of a step up in the same style is going to be two or three times more money, because a step up os a guitar with an official Floyd, brand-name pickup, and great fretwork. You could always buy it now and upgrade the Floyd and the pickup later if you decide that you don't like them.
Ok trollface did i not make it blatently obvious that i play 80s metal? I'm looking toplay 80s rock in case you didn't pick up on that....
Quote by jpnyc
It's looks like a decent starter guitar for hair metal. Getting anything that's much of a step up in the same style is going to be two or three times more money, because a step up os a guitar with an official Floyd, brand-name pickup, and great fretwork. You could always buy it now and upgrade the Floyd and the pickup later if you decide that you don't like them.

Ok but how do you know the neck isn't stellar? And i was already planning on swapping the pup, and probably the bridge for an original in a few years. But how do you know that the fret work is bad?
Quote by demartini96
Hey retro, you think its a good deal? If anyone knows it should be you. I think i'll get it, save like $150 and put in some badass pickup. I think its a great deal, at least if it comes with grover tuners not b.c. rich like american musical says.

The bc rich website says they come with grovers so it must, i say its a good deal, just put in a new pickup, ( seymour duncan warren demartini sig, maybe lol).
If you waited you could save up and get a charvel or an esp george lynch tho which would obviously be better, you cant get neon green ones though lol

EDIT: Or even one of the new usa gunslingers
My Gear:
Bugera 6260
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Last edited by RetroGunslinger at Aug 21, 2011,
Quote by RetroGunslinger
The bc rich website says they come with grovers so it must, i say its a good deal, just put in a new pickup, ( seymour duncan warren demartini sig, maybe lol).
If you waited you could save up and get a charvel or an esp george lynch tho which would obviously be better, you cant get neon green ones though lol

Well i was actually gonna buy a charvel san dimas, but i'd have to wait, AND i'm about to start driving so kinda need that extra 200-250 dollars that i'd save buying this guitar AND putting in a 100 dollar pickup, vs. buying a charvel san dimas. Thats kinda why i came here, i just want to know how the necks are, and with a decent pickup, if its a solid guitar....
Quote by demartini96
Well i was actually gonna buy a charvel san dimas, but i'd have to wait, AND i'm about to start driving so kinda need that extra 200-250 dollars that i'd save buying this guitar AND putting in a 100 dollar pickup, vs. buying a charvel san dimas. Thats kinda why i came here, i just want to know how the necks are, and with a decent pickup, if its a solid guitar....

Well I assume its the same neck as mine so in that case the necks great, really smooth and easy to play fast on, relatively thin, not as much as an ibanez wizard but alot thinner than a les paul, build quality on bc richs nowadays is fine so apart from the pickup and bridge its a great guitar for the price, I say buy it.
My Gear:
Bugera 6260
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Well I assume its the same neck as mine so in that case the necks great, really smooth and easy to play fast on, relatively thin, not as much as an ibanez wizard but alot thinner than a les paul, build quality on bc richs nowadays is fine so apart from the pickup and bridge its a great guitar for the price, I say buy it.

Ya i think i probably will, but first i'm gonna call zzounds to make sure they definately are grover tuners. Cause there are tons of websites that say different things about the guitars.
zzounds says that they are definately grovers, so i'm gonna buy t i think, and i believe with a pup swap, and in the future a bridge swap, that this guitar will be up there with pro guitars, what do you think?
Go for it, I played one the other day and it shreds like a bad motherf*cker. DO IT!
The only thing I would say that could use a change is the pickup, but it isn't that bad.
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
Its just that.. the guitar itself lookas like it have been drwn by a 4-year old kid who had a vaqgue idea of what a guirtar looks like. Thats just me, however. if you like it, buy it.
you liked the neck on a BC Rich that wasn't from the early 80's?

well I guess I can't stop you from liking it. it's not a bad guitar, it won't fall apart on you. but they play and sound like garbage since the original owner lost control of the company
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Its just that.. the guitar itself lookas like it have been drwn by a 4-year old kid who had a vaqgue idea of what a guirtar looks like. Thats just me, however. if you like it, buy it.

That makes no sense whatsoever. It's a super strat, with a banana yellow paint job.
This is what a kids poorly drawn guitar looks like.

http://www.banjolin.co.uk/images/banjo4.gif
Quote by CJ Noble
you liked the neck on a BC Rich that wasn't from the early 80's?

well I guess I can't stop you from liking it. it's not a bad guitar, it won't fall apart on you. but they play and sound like garbage since the original owner lost control of the company

HATER!!!
My first band's guitarist had a Masterpiece Bich, which is around the same quality level, I believe(he got it for $400 new online), and it played and sounded nice for a $400 guitar. The jack was a little wonky, but it sounded good for what we played at the time(we were playing old-school speed metal). He moved on to djent and now hates it because it doesn't have EMGs, but...yeah. I'd imagine the Gunslinger's a nice enough guitar for the money too, maple frets are always nice and it's sexy.

Do you have a guitar already though? If so you could save up a bit and get a Kramer or a Charvel, Mr. DeMartini used Charvels all through his career to my knowledge, and the Kramers are nice guitars for the buck that aren't much more than the BC Rich. No angled bucker, maybe, but other than EVH himself I haven't really seen anyone use it, and both Kramer and Charvel make nice, sexy 80s-looking finishes(I'm *REALLY* wanting a white So-Cal Style 1 in white). You could try Ibanez too, but I really don't like the Wizard necks and sadly that's all they've got on the non-Gio models(I find the $400 models better than the $2000 ones for this reason, shoot me...xD), so if you don't want a thin neck that's out of the question.

EDIT:If you're buying it and you decide you could use a better pickup, go for a DiMarzio Super Distortion or a Seymour Duncan JB. Trust me. SEXY glam tones out of those.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Last edited by Enix165 at Aug 21, 2011,
Quote by Enix165
My first band's guitarist had a Masterpiece Bich, which is around the same quality level, I believe(he got it for $400 new online), and it played and sounded nice for a $400 guitar. The jack was a little wonky, but it sounded good for what we played at the time(we were playing old-school speed metal). He moved on to djent and now hates it because it doesn't have EMGs, but...yeah. I'd imagine the Gunslinger's a nice enough guitar for the money too, maple frets are always nice and it's sexy.

Do you have a guitar already though? If so you could save up a bit and get a Kramer or a Charvel, Mr. DeMartini used Charvels all through his career to my knowledge, and the Kramers are nice guitars for the buck that aren't much more than the BC Rich. No angled bucker, maybe, but other than EVH himself I haven't really seen anyone use it, and both Kramer and Charvel make nice, sexy 80s-looking finishes(I'm *REALLY* wanting a white So-Cal Style 1 in white). You could try Ibanez too, but I really don't like the Wizard necks and sadly that's all they've got on the non-Gio models(I find the $400 models better than the $2000 ones for this reason, shoot me...xD), so if you don't want a thin neck that's out of the question.

EDIT:If you're buying it and you decide you could use a better pickup, go for a DiMarzio Super Distortion or a Seymour Duncan JB. Trust me. SEXY glam tones out of those.

Ya i have an epi les paul standard plus top, but i need something with a double locking trem.
I guess i could go with something like this, although with an ew JB or whatever pup i decide on, i still think the gunslinger's a better bang for your buck. http://www.zzounds.com/item--KRMKPC
Well, man, it's entirely up to you. If you've tried the Gunslinger and you think it's better than the Kramer, go for it. I bought a Dean MLX 6 months into playing, and everyone here on UG thinks it's a piece of shit, but I've got a $800 Schecter in my hands right now and I still use my Dean for some stuff, the jack was wonky but I thought it was great starting out, it's comfy and plays well, I tune it maybe every 3 weeks, and after a pickup swap the thing has killer tone. I wish you best of luck either way, we need more hair metal musicians out there(not saying there aren't any good ones out, Loud N' Nasty and Steel Panther are both great, but...you can never have too many)!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
that's the newer one with teh lower spec...

if you can find one of the older ones with the dimarzio super distortion (or even the rockfield mafia, i guess) for $300 then it'd be worth considering... for that one, though, i'd just go with the charvel instead.

up to you, of course
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What Dave said.

Or even better, look for an older 2nd hand Charvel. Even cooler guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's the newer one with teh lower spec...

if you can find one of the older ones with the dimarzio super distortion (or even the rockfield mafia, i guess) for $300 then it'd be worth considering... for that one, though, i'd just go with the charvel instead.

up to you, of course

Ok i'm not saying that you are wrong, i'm just making a contradiction so both ideas have a good fight. I think that the gunslinger would be a completely solid guitar IF i changed the pickup. Plus zzound sells them from a manufacturer that sells the ones with grovers, for the same price. So all in all it would be a guitar with a floyd special, probably an ofr in the future, a (most likely duncan invader love those) grover tuners, AND a killer neck, tried the necks, AND still save money against a brand new charvel. Just making a contradiction, not saying this is what i'm gonna do, just a contradiction....
In all honesty if you like the guitar and are able to get what you want from it go for it! Best to ask yourself rather than us cos different opinions will sway you to make decisions you might regret
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
Quote by MrWilson6
In all honesty if you like the guitar and are able to get what you want from it go for it! Best to ask yourself rather than us cos different opinions will sway you to make decisions you might regret

Thats true, in all honesty, i do think its a great deal, even if it is made in china. In all honesty, i love my chinese made epi les paul standars, very well built, so thats not a factor right now to me.
some of this has already been said, some hasn't yet.

quality is not just the tuners and bridge of the guitar.

hardware is interchangable on guitars, so are pickups, etc, you dont like, you buy a new component

the woods used to build the guitar are not as good as say a charvel, the fretwork probably wont be top notch, it will most likely [read as need] a good setup, if you know how to do it, it wont be a big deal (and it iesn't anyway.

you could swap tuners, bridge, pickups, pots, cap for tone pot (if it has a tone knob) , you will still have the same presumably same body/neck out of the same cheaper lower quality wood, and the fret work (can be done but is $$$), and have thrown another $300 in parts, where with that and the inital investtment easily have a Charvel.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I think it looks pretty fucking 80's man. Nice guitar but as trashedlostfdup said by time you upgrade everything you've got nearly the same amount of money invested in a cheap guitar that your Charvel would have cost.

Also if you want to have an 80's sound grab an 80's Kramer.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
some of this has already been said, some hasn't yet.

quality is not just the tuners and bridge of the guitar.

hardware is interchangable on guitars, so are pickups, etc, you dont like, you buy a new component

the woods used to build the guitar are not as good as say a charvel, the fretwork probably wont be top notch, it will most likely [read as need] a good setup, if you know how to do it, it wont be a big deal (and it iesn't anyway.

you could swap tuners, bridge, pickups, pots, cap for tone pot (if it has a tone knob) , you will still have the same presumably same body/neck out of the same cheaper lower quality wood, and the fret work (can be done but is $$$), and have thrown another $300 in parts, where with that and the inital investtment easily have a Charvel.

True, but, i've already tested necks on these FANTASTIC. And the bodies are made of alder a wood that i love myself. Just cause its made in chins doesn't mean the wood is bad or the frets are terrible, it just means that there is not as much effort put into it. My point is, with fully modded its only gonna cost like 700-750. With a new charvel its gonna cost 900. I need money for other things, so why not just get this guitar, just to have something to play until i mod it up, and have 150 bucks left.
Quote by demartini96
True, but, i've already tested necks on these FANTASTIC. And the bodies are made of alder a wood that i love myself. Just cause its made in chins doesn't mean the wood is bad or the frets are terrible, it just means that there is not as much effort put into it. My point is, with fully modded its only gonna cost like 700-750. With a new charvel its gonna cost 900. I need money for other things, so why not just get this guitar, just to have something to play until i mod it up, and have 150 bucks left.

it seems like no matter what anybody says here, you are sold on this guitar already.

and alder is not a bad wood, its used on guitars that cost several thousand dollars, its just that they would use a low grade of lumber.

so if that is the case, why further ask us if you are really not looking for opinions, unless those opinions agree with you.

i have played quite a few BC Rich's from the 80's to newer, and they aren't terrible guitars, its just that i would never be happy with one that had a final price tag of $700-750 on a $300 guitar, when you can have a charvel for most likely less that than that if you buy used.

i almost picked one of the $900 new model charvels for $650 that appeared to be in great condition, but ended up paying a little less than $700 for a brand new Ibanez 3550MZ that was being clearenced out of guitar center. they are like $1600 or something on MF.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 2