Hello all,

I am new to playing the guitar, I've only been playing for about a month or so. I play an acoustic guitar (Takamine EG340C). I've been searching around the interwebs and browsing different forums about what is the best thickness for a pick to use. All I've really found is "ONLY USE THICK PICKS" and when others question as to why, or say they use thin/mediums the response is "YOU ARE STUPID THICK PICKS ARE THE BEST". There is no real reasoning behind the choice of a thick pick, it is just given as an accepted standard. Now, I realize that if the majority of an experienced audience uses thick picks, that it probably is the best pick size to use.

My question is, why?

I bought Fender thick, medium and thin picks to use. For most of my playing, I find that I enjoy the medium picks the best (no real reason, it just feels the best). However, for one song that I'm learning (Little Lion Man, Mumford + Sons) I found that I really like the sound of the thin pick the best, which really goes against the grain.

Any tips, advice, and reasoning would be greatly appreciated. I'd also appreciate if you could give me something to look out for, i.e. use a thin pick playing this chord, then medium and then heavy, and look out for THIS so you can see the difference.

Thanks!
I find it easier to strum when I use thin picks. I like them thin enough to bend easily with my finger but thick enough to produce a fill sound. I use either Fender thin or dunlop nylon .60 mm usually
I use thick picks because I think they're more comfortable and I don't like the sound of the pick hitting the strings that much.

P.S, I use very thick picks, Dunlop Big Stubbys, 3.0mm.
The reason people say use a thick pick for shredding is because there's less give and you don't have to move it as much. The reason people say use a thin pick for chords is because you can strum better because it has lots of give and makes strumming easier.

It doesn't really matter though.

EDIT: I use 1mm for everything. I had a few .60s (I think) and they made chords a blast.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Aug 21, 2011,
im using .88 dunlop the wedge . i like them for palmuting and fast riffing , the attack is just there with a effortless movement .. but if strum powerchord .. id rather have thinner pick .

im gonna spend all my life wondering if i should use .60 , .73 or .88 dunlop

but overall .. if you use thinner pick .. youll need a bigger wrist movement to play the same riffs . at least its what ive noticed .

Go with .88 or find the one your prefer .. depend of your style .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
It partially has to do with personal preference and playing style. I play aggressively and prefer a thick pick. I suppose that people who don't play aggressively and just play chords could use something else and be perfectly fine.

In general, thick picks are better because it you have more control and get more sound. The string bends instead of the pick so it's easier to play.
Quote by Silent Murder
The reason people say use a thick pick for shredding is because there's less give and you don't have to move it as much. The reason people say use a thin pick for chords is because you can strum better because it has lots of give and makes strumming easier.

It doesn't really matter though.

Actually it does. Thick picks give a warmer sound, thin picks are snappy.
Scientists write papers and books. Engineers make money.
thins give you that pick attack sound and have a more brittle tone than other picks. thicks are beefier sounding and have less of that attack and are better for tremolo picking. mediums are in between.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/tortex-fins also you should have at least 1 of these. the flat edge gives it a really dull bassy tone. the ridged edge gives you some chime. they are really fun picks to use for acoustics. although admitedly they are wonky.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I have gone for thicker and bigger picks as I got better at guitar, and now I use a 2.0mm pick which is a little bigger than my last joint on my thumb.
I like them since they don't bend and limits my speed and clean playing, and also make it easier to hit the strings weaker and sounding better without having to pick harder.
But hey, it's a preference, and some like thinner picks for some reason...
One thing... if you're strumming chords alot, thin picks are probably the best for that, since with a thick on it requires more pick-hand movement.
Depends on what style you play in other words...
Thanks for the detailed responses guys, I really appreciate it. So what I gather is, thick picks are better in the sense that you don't have to move your hand as much, and thin picks are better for constant chord strumming?
Quote by Gui_Lux
Actually it does. Thick picks give a warmer sound, thin picks are snappy.

I was thinking about handling preferences, not tone wise. I can't comment on the tone because it sounds the same to me and I know people of the internet like to scream WTF NO IT ISN'T whenever I do.

Quote by imfromhoiland
Thanks for the detailed responses guys, I really appreciate it. So what I gather is, thick picks are better in the sense that you don't have to move your hand as much, and thin picks are better for constant chord strumming?

Thick picks give you more accuracy because they don't bend as much is a better way of them. But it's whatever you find easier. Just buy a load and have a play.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
I use whatever. Thick picks for my bass and thin ones for my guitar. Whatever...