Had my first lesson this week
Ive been playing for about a year using the internet but there is loads I just cant get my hear round (strumming patterns time signatures to name a few0
anyway I either strum using my thumb or a pick but my new teacher wants me to use a pick but ive got into a bad habbit of holding it wrong and now im trying to hold it right and its just not working
any advice or is it just practise holding it the new way
Quote by dawnjess
Had my first lesson this week
Ive been playing for about a year using the internet but there is loads I just cant get my hear round (strumming patterns time signatures to name a few0
anyway I either strum using my thumb or a pick but my new teacher wants me to use a pick but ive got into a bad habbit of holding it wrong and now im trying to hold it right and its just not working
any advice or is it just practise holding it the new way

First of all always relax and go slow. I changed the way I hold my pick and it messed me up for a good while. My best advice would be that when you change the way you hold the pick a couple other things will have to be adjusted as well (arm position, which muscles you use, how you hold the guitar, etc.) I can't tell you which ones you will need to tweak because it's different for everyone.

Just do your best to get comfortable and accept that you'll have to take a couple of steps back when you change technique.
I had the same problem a while back; I was holding the pick in my first two fingers with my thumb behind them, and man was I a slow picker! I finally learned the right way of holding the pick, and yes, it did trip me up for a while at first, but after that my speed and accuracy increased tenfold. Just stick with it; you'll be glad you did!