i just bought a behringer mixer. do i need an audio interface to record each track to a seprerate track on my program?? when i do it now(with no audio interface) i can record multiple things at once but they all go to one track on my program.
Yeah an interface or sound card, but the important thing for mutli-track recording right to pc is you need multiple ins/outs depending on how many tracks your looking to record at once.
At least I'm pretty sure thats the story, I was looking into that myself a while ago.
I seem to remember some of the bigger ones 12 inputs or more getting expensive.
I have a 12 track mixer I wanted to do it with.
If you're recording to PC, find a guy on here with the username DisarmGoliath - I've had a couple of good debates with him about recording, he seems to know most of the tricks when it comes to PC recording so he can probably provide you with some advice.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yeah, if you've only got one input (the out from your mixer), you'll only have one track. An interface will give you more inputs (combined into digital data via USB or FireWire).
Quote by GaryBillington
If you're recording to PC, find a guy on here with the username DisarmGoliath - I've had a couple of good debates with him about recording, he seems to know most of the tricks when it comes to PC recording so he can probably provide you with some advice.

Thank you, glad to see there's some mutual respect despite the opposing opinions on home recording!

Anyway, it's mostly been covered but the most you will get from your mixer will be a stereo mixdown from the master fader, and (assuming your pc/laptop has a single line input) only then if you use a stereo (TRS) jack to connect the mixer to the line input. Unfortunately in buying the mixer, you made the mistake many people are tricked into when starting out with computer-based recording, which is to assume that a standard mixer (best suited to the live sound market these days) would simply connect to a computer in a simple way through one cable. While it is true that cables and interface protocols exist for carrying multiple streams/channels of data through a single cable, it is very rare to find that sort of interfacing on a budget mixer (ADAT, MIDI, CAT-5e [ethernet], Firewire and even USB).

Essentially, you could use the aux and/or effects sends of each channel on your mixer (if it has any, which the cheaper ones tend not to) to go into an audio interface/soundcard with enough inputs, but as I am pretty confident your budget Behringer mixer will have poor quality preamps (not to mention the terrible cross-talk between channels that I've witnessed on even the higher level Behringer desks) there is little point using the mixer, as the interface you choose will likely have better preamps and you'll have a cleaner signal path to the A/D converters if you aren't running through two sets of pre-amps.

Anyway, to cut a long story short you have two solutions to do what you want and both will cost (unless you decide to stick with a stereo mixdown of what you plug into the mixer) - buy an audio interface with enough inputs to meet your requirements; or look into a cheap multi-track recorder (Gary will be pleased ) to record the ideas onto, as these are sometimes cheaper than good interfaces with the same input-count, and then copy the raw files across to your computer for mixing.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 21, 2011,