I'm not sure if I'm writing in the right forum section, but I don't know if this is an effect or something else.
You can hear Jeff Beck doing it in this video at 0:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt-WuLpg-aE

and in the Mötley Crüe song Take Me To The Top in the first riff when Mick Mars is playing the C power chord (they are in D tuning):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxu-EWq5yjA

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but it sounds similar. I'm talking about that "DRLRLRLLL" kind of sound

So can you please tell me how to do that?
Quote by Soccerguy
You mean a flutter? It's just slapping the arm on a tremolo bridge.

thank you!
But my LP doesn't have a tremolo arm
Last edited by Yekex at Aug 21, 2011,
do you think I can buy a new bridge with a tremolo for my LP or does it need to be modified to install a tremolo bridge? And can you do this flutter effect with a LP tremolo?
To perform tremolo with a LP, you can (for right handed people) place your lower right arm on top of the guitar (above the strings) and grab the side with your hand. Now grab the headstock with your left hand and GENTLY pull it backwards a few times. Don't know how to do a flutter on a LP though...
Quote by icanhasgodmode
To perform tremolo with a LP, you can (for right handed people) place your lower right arm on top of the guitar (above the strings) and grab the side with your hand. Now grab the headstock with your left hand and GENTLY pull it backwards a few times. Don't know how to do a flutter on a LP though...

yeah thanks, but I know that. I just want to do the flutter
for a bigsby, you do not need any furter routing, neither for a vibrola, but flyd rose, PRS and fender style requires a back cavity routed.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
You need a floating Floyd Rose equipped guitar to get the flutters, but not all Floyds will do them well.

That's not true, I can flutter with my Strat's Synchronized Tremolo. In fact, it's probably easier to do it on one. Plus, you see Jeff Beck do it all the time, and he doesn't use a Floyd.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Stetson makes a trem system that attaches to your existing LP bridge studs. don't know how well it will do the flutter but it's worth checking out.
Quote by Yekex
yeah thanks, but I know that. I just want to do the flutter

Then you're shit out of luck, sadly
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Correct. You're not going to get flutter on a Les Paul without ruining it. Neither a bigsby nor a stetsbar will flutter, because they don't have the spring/block system. Anything that does have that system would require a huge amount of routing, which is the last thing you want to do on a Paul.

Buy a MIM strat, throw a Wilkinson VS100 in, and go nuts.
I think the knife edge is the key - significantly less friction at the fulcrum lets the springs and strings bounce each other back and forth a few times before settling. The Jeff Beck strat has the 2-point trem which is a lot closer to a knife edge than the 6-screw MIM offering.