There's a percussion sample that I'd like to use in one of my songs, but I don't know what it's called. It sounds like someone smacking a steel ingot with a pipe. Here are some songs that use it:

Fear Factory - Body Hammer
Sevendust - Feel So
Strapping Young Lad - Goat

The sample is used in the beginning of each of those songs, so if you don't like the songs you won't have to sit through them trying to figure out what the hell I'm talking about.

Anyways, can anyone tell me what the name of this sound is and/or where I can find it?
Ok, in the Fear Factory song it definitely has this high pitched sound like a pipe being hit. That I cannot help you with.

In the Sevendust song, it sounds a LOT like the drummer hitting the bell part (the innermost part) of a cymbal. I do it all the time when I play my drums and if you hold the edge of the cymbal while hitting the bell part with a drumstick it gives that a sound just like that. The only thing to figure out is what size and what type of cymbal he's doing that on to produce that pitch.

The Goat song definitely is the most avante-garde usage of the sound. I honestly think they're hitting two different pieces of metal. The sound is nothing like the Sevendust sound, and somewhat like the Fear Factory technique, but in a genre like what Goat plays, it's not unfamiliar for bands to hit something, hear a sound, and then use it in a song. They could be hitting a sheet of metal from an old vent duct for all I know.

To be honest, I doubt the first two are actual "samples." The first might be, but the Sevendust noise isn't. The Goat song probably does use a sample for live play, but I'd bet in the recording studio they had whatever pieces of metal they're hitting right in the studio.
Last edited by acoginthesystem at Aug 21, 2011,
www.freesound.org/

I'm sure you'll find a sound in there that'll fit. You'll have to sift through sounds like "metal impact" or "metal dropped" or something. simiilar You can use it in a song as long as you credit the original source.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by Silent Murder
www.freesound.org/

I'm sure you'll find a sound in there that'll fit. You'll have to sift through sounds like "metal impact" or "metal dropped" or something. simiilar You can use it in a song as long as you credit the original source.

Wow, this site is cool as hell. I've already found like ten completely different things that would be cool to use sometime.

Quote by acoginthesystem
In the Sevendust song, it sounds a LOT like the drummer hitting the bell part (the innermost part) of a cymbal. I do it all the time when I play my drums and if you hold the edge of the cymbal while hitting the bell part with a drumstick it gives that a sound just like that. The only thing to figure out is what size and what type of cymbal he's doing that on to produce that pitch.

I thought it might have been the bell, but I wasn't sure because it didn't sound as high pitched or as thin as the bell sound normally does.
Last edited by madbasslover at Aug 21, 2011,