I've been playing the electric guitar for a very long time. But over the past few months, I feel like I'm actually getting worse. And even though I spend hours a day practicing, I don't seem to be making progress anymore, but vice-versa. It's very disheartening.
Is there anyone here who knows of some way to overcome this hurdle?
(I play every genre)
Quote by Robert E. Leet
I've overcome this in the past as well by playing with other people.

Seconded. Give this a go. Oh, and

I play every genre

Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 21, 2011,
i good thing for me when i get in a creative funk is to go take a lesson or two. i get in that state of mind seemingly every 4-6 months, if it lasts longer than a few days, i call up a local teacher, set up an appointment and get some new ideas to work on. my teacher knows i only see him 2-3 times a year, but he doesn't seem to mind.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It's possible you feel like you're regressing because you're getting more critical - you're getting better and having higher expectations for yourself, so you're having a harder time meeting your expectations.

A couple of days off is good. Definitely, the next time you pick up your guitar, don't play things that make you think about how good you are or aren't - just have fun with it. Play something new or different.
I find that if I spend more time doing exercises and memorizing scales, and less time just playing, I can't play as clean when I am just playing. So I have to have a balance of exercise and playing in order for things to flow.
Quote by HotspurJr
It's possible you feel like you're regressing because you're getting more critical - you're getting better and having higher expectations for yourself, so you're having a harder time meeting your expectations.

^ this is a good point.
The better you get, it gets more difficult and takes longer to noticably improve.

Taking time off like everyone says is also a big help.
I routinely take off a week or even a month from practicing if I feel burnt out.
When I get back around to daily training... I always feel like I come back playing better.
Not improved necessarily - just the stuff that was difficult before seems a little easier.
One question that may seem unkind: how old are you? Are talking about speed or other aspects?
Quote by sonicx2218
I've been playing the electric guitar for a very long time. But over the past few months, I feel like I'm actually getting worse. And even though I spend hours a day practicing, I don't seem to be making progress anymore, but vice-versa. It's very disheartening.
Is there anyone here who knows of some way to overcome this hurdle?
(I play every genre)

Do you find youself playing the same thing over and over?
BLEED BLACK BLOOD
You could very well be in a rut.....just take it easy for a while....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"