Poll: Jackson RR3 vs Epi Zakk Wylde les paul for me?
Poll Options
View poll results: Jackson RR3 vs Epi Zakk Wylde les paul for me?
Jackson RR3
16 70%
Epi ZW les Paul
7 30%
Voters: 23.
I am looking to buy one of these two for my next guitar. I play metal and both of these are metal oriented. Both basically the same price, which offers better playability and tone?

vs

Well...an obvious question is, do you want a locking trem?
Every thread i post in dies...
Quote by Gaz351

Doesnt matter to me, if I had one I would use it here and there. If I didn't no biggie.
Quote by Gaz351

i second this
{[WD Punk]}
totally different sound and feel. not really interchangeable so it's tough to say which would be a better fit. play em and see what works better for you.
Quote by egnaterya
Doesnt matter to me, if I had one I would use it here and there. If I didn't no biggie.

Have you had a guitar with one before? They are a hassle.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Have you had a guitar with one before? They are a hassle.

no, but I have a friend who does, and he would show me how to set it up.
The RR3 but I'm a RRV fanboy.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by egnaterya

Having a floyd rose doesn't mean you just have the option of using it "here and there", you also have to handle all of the setup and adjustment they require.
Not to mention if you change tuning a bit, you can't just go Drop D to standard or vice versa, or a different tuning, etc. I'd say the Les paul, and I'm a HUUUUUUGE Jackson and rhoads fanboy. But still, I'd go with the les paul. Les trouble in the long run.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Pac_man0123
Having a floyd rose doesn't mean you just have the option of using it "here and there", you also have to handle all of the setup and adjustment they require.

If he's not using it he can just block it. It will basically "become" a hardtail
Quote by Wisthekiller
Hate Zakk Wylde, love Rhoads'. I'm going with the Rhoads (especially considering I finally got mine! )

rhoads played les pauls anyway
Quote by Tango616
Not to mention if you change tuning a bit, you can't just go Drop D to standard or vice versa, or a different tuning, etc. I'd say the Les paul, and I'm a HUUUUUUGE Jackson and rhoads fanboy. But still, I'd go with the les paul. Les trouble in the long run.

Hmm, I just noticed there was a rr5 with a hardtail.

How good is that guitar? Should I save up for that guitar instead?
Last edited by egnaterya at Aug 21, 2011,
Quote by egnaterya

How good is that guitar? Should I save up for that guitar instead?

Yes.

The RR5 is a better guitar than the RR3.

It will be easier to change tunings, and a lot less hassle overall.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by Butt Rayge
It's also more expensive. Much more, if memory serves.

rr3 is 900 and rr5 is 1300 rr1 is 2200 but thats too much for me. I might go for rr5, the floyd isnt for me really. RR5 looks beautiful too.
Last edited by egnaterya at Aug 21, 2011,
Well if you're willing and happy to pay 1300, then go for it. I have a KE3 and the only thing I didn't like about it was the floyd rose.
are sitting or standing while playing? lmao
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
What about the pickups? Randy's has passives, and zakk's has actives. You might wqnt to take that into consideratioj as well.
Also, you might want to take into consideration how comfortable you'll feel being considered a Zakk clone if you choose the Les Paul; it's kind of his trademark.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by robertsanidiot
What about the pickups? Randy's has passives, and zakk's has actives. You might wqnt to take that into consideratioj as well.

The Zakk epi has passive EMG H4s
Get the RR3. Much better quality guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by egnaterya
The Zakk epi has passive EMG H4s

Completely forgot about that. Still though, I heard passive emgs sound like garbage.
Quote by robertsanidiot
Completely forgot about that. Still though, I heard passive emgs sound like garbage.

sorry, but are you sure they're passive?
I don't know if this is a new model/old model thing but
http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=151&CollectionID=6
just says EMG 81/85!

edit also I've heard excellent things about the Epi.

and i own a V, it gets uncomfortable sometimes. but you should definitely take the time to find and try both these guitars before you make your decision.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Aug 22, 2011,
Quote by seek_&_destroy
sorry, but are you sure they're passive?
I don't know if this is a new model/old model thing but
http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=151&CollectionID=6
just says EMG 81/85!

edit also I've heard excellent things about the Epi.

and i own a V, it gets uncomfortable sometimes. but you should definitely take the time to find and try both these guitars before you make your decision.

Hmmm. for years its been EMG H4, they must have just recently switched. Its about time.
Out of those two, I would get the LP just because the playability on the RR3 is terrible, everything is wrong. 22 Frets, bolt-on neck, jack sits right where your leg is when sitting down, the floyd isn't terrible though. The RR5 is defiantly much better. I have been considering selling mine, so if your interested just shoot me a pm.
Dude, thing about signature guitars(besides the mark-up for the endorsement) is you will always be "that guy with the Zakk Wylde guitar". Personally, I think the RR5 is a gorgeous guitar and worth every penny, and I prefer the neck.
^ LOL cuz the randy rhoads guitar isn't a signature :P

i get what you mean though, and i'd agree with you if they made any similar epiphones with emgs!

and you gotta think the other way too, yes, you shouldn't pick a guitar cuz somebody else plays it, but it should be the other way around too.. just because it's a signature model shouldn't stop you from buying something you like.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by seek_&_destroy

i get what you mean though, and i'd agree with you if they made any similar epiphones with emgs!

and you gotta think the other way too, yes, you shouldn't pick a guitar cuz somebody else plays it, but it should be the other way around too.. just because it's a signature model shouldn't stop you from buying something you like.

I hardly consider the RR to be a true signature anymore, it's more just a body shape, like the King V, it's just a pointy V guitar. There are dozens of variations of them from Jackson alone. The zakk bullseye is much more identifiable.

Don't make fun of me
Quote by seek_&_destroy

I don't consider it to be one.

It's a guitar shape named after Randy by Grover Jackson in tribute to him after his death. If he had lived, they were calling it the Original SIN, and the other, slightly different shape was the Concorde.

It's only a sig if it's the Kevin Bond or Matt Tuck version.
I played the RR5 (with a Floyd) and it was amazing. So either get that or RR3.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Think of it this way, think about the specs. If you want a mahogany les Paul body with a maple neck and EMGs ect. Ect. Then go for the lp.

If you want an alder v shape with seymour dumcans and a Floyd rose yadda yadda blah blah, then go for that.

However, I'm sure you can get a similar guitar for the same price minus the signature on the headstock. Like the esp ltd ec 1000. It's not very different from zakk's lp. It's the little things, like the maple neck and big bull's eye finish that make it a Sig.

Also, might I recommend the epiphone les Paul custom prophecy ex. It's usually $800 but its on sale from MF for $600

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-prophecy-custom-ex-electric-guitar