I currently have a line 6 Valve 212 MKII (40 watts) and now that I'm in a band, I've come to find that it's not quite loud enough. I play in a metalcore band that plays in mostly drop C and drop B. I've definitely decided on a 6505+ 112 as the amp I'll be upgrading to, but is it loud? Loud enough for gigs and to be heard over the drums in an unmic'd band practice? Also, I hear the speaker sucks. Money is not really an issue, and I'd just like to know if, when upgraded with a Celestion V30, could the Peavey 6505+ 112 give me that crushing tone I'm looking for while still being loud enough for gigs and band practices? Also, would i need a noise suppressor and/or an OD?

I'm playing through an ESP LTD MH-350NT loaded with EMGs if it matters.

Thanks
Gear

Schecter C-1+

LTD MH-350NT

Line 6 Valve 212 MkII
The 6505 will be a huge upgrade from the Spider Valve, and yes it'll be plenty loud. The speaker isn't THAT terrible, though is far from "good". putting a V30 in it would do a lot for the amp.

Depending on the amount of gain you're using (Hopefully you're smart about it), you might need a gate.
Get the 6505+ 112 w/ the V30, grab a Tubescreamer and an ISP Decimator (G-String preferred).... that's your crushing tone right there. Volume will not be an issue.
Gear
ESP LTD EC-1000
ESP LTD F-50
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 UX1
Digitech RP-50
also, can it use a footswitch? I know it doesn't come with one, but is it possible?
Gear

Schecter C-1+

LTD MH-350NT

Line 6 Valve 212 MkII
Yes, it can use a foot switch.

The Spider Valve, like most modeling amps, isn't very loud. The 6505+ should be more than loud enough, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Alright, great. Thanks for the help, guys.
Gear

Schecter C-1+

LTD MH-350NT

Line 6 Valve 212 MkII
The combo isn't going to sound like the head. I doubt it would give you the tone you're looking for, simply because of the difference between a 1x12 combo and a half stack.

If money isn't an issue, go for the real thing. You won't regret it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The combo isn't going to sound like the head. I doubt it would give you the tone you're looking for, simply because of the difference between a 1x12 combo and a half stack.

If money isn't an issue, go for the real thing. You won't regret it.

+1

You don't even reaally need to go for the half stack... but if money isn't an issue, at least go for the 6505+ 212 combo instead of the 112.
I didn't think the stock speaker in the 112 was all that bad

I personally would not buy the 212, if I were to want that I'd get a head/212 cab.

The 112 will be fine on a budget tho

New tubes and some pedals are a good idea.
It is VERY loud for a 1 X 12 amp. I used to have a 100 watt Marshall MG Halfstack (I know...) and my 6505+ just flattens it. No comparison whatsoever.

I don't think you'd need a new speaker for the broot tones at all, only for clean tones. And even then, with a chorus or reverb pedal it sounds nice. I'm very happy with mine.

But, like others have said, if money isn't an issue, go for the 212 or head + cab. Just be prepared to need the services of a chiropractor if you go the 212 route...
I'm playing in a band, but I'm still doing a lot of practicing on it. Is the head going to be insanely loud to the point that I can't play it at a decent volume?
Gear

Schecter C-1+

LTD MH-350NT

Line 6 Valve 212 MkII
Quote by KailM
It is VERY loud for a 1 X 12 amp. I used to have a 100 watt Marshall MG Halfstack (I know...) and my 6505+ just flattens it. No comparison whatsoever.

I don't think you'd need a new speaker for the broot tones at all, only for clean tones. And even then, with a chorus or reverb pedal it sounds nice. I'm very happy with mine.

But, like others have said, if money isn't an issue, go for the 212 or head + cab. Just be prepared to need the services of a chiropractor if you go the 212 route...

Its not louder than most 1x12 tube combos. Tube amps will always be way louder!
Quote by iEvil
I'm playing in a band, but I'm still doing a lot of practicing on it. Is the head going to be insanely loud to the point that I can't play it at a decent volume?

I have a 6505 with a 2x12 cab and it can be used at house levels, I would recomend an EQ (not required by any means) for the effects loop for low volumes. I can run it on 1 or 2 and an EQ and it sounds killer.
Its not really an upgrade going from a SV to the 6505+, sorry it's not. If you really want that 5150 sound get the 5150/6505 2x12 or head cab. Have you thought of putting a 2x12 cab under your combo?

I'm not saying the 6505+ is a bad amp, but it is no better than your current amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm not upgrading. Never said I was. I need more volume and I don't want to lug around my 2x12 combo with another 2x12 cab. How does the 6505+ 112 compare soundwise to the head? specifics? all I've heard is "it doesn't sound as good"
Gear

Schecter C-1+

LTD MH-350NT

Line 6 Valve 212 MkII
Go for a used 6505 head and 2x12 cab. Plenty loud and fairly easy to move.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by iEvil
I'm not upgrading. Never said I was. I need more volume and I don't want to lug around my 2x12 combo with another 2x12 cab. How does the 6505+ 112 compare soundwise to the head? specifics? all I've heard is "it doesn't sound as good"

I just figured you'd want a 4x12 set up for playing in a metal-core band, not that you have to, but you will never get the depth of 2 or more speakers from a 1x12 combo. You SV will sound "Fuller" than the 6505+ because of the extra speaker, so you may want to take that into consideration.

I like the 5150/6505, but am not a big fan of the 5150 II/6505+. The 5150 does one thing really well, but the 5150II trys to do 2 things well and does them both OK.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by iEvil

Yeah, that's the thing. Tone snobs will always say "It's not as good." and can never explain why.

Not saying it isn't true, just that the difference isn't like HOLY SHIT NIGHT AND DAY.

The head is American made, while the combo is chinese. The head has better components and build quality. The combo will fail on you much more quickly or often than the head.

The head is also double the wattage.

But the 112 seriously sounds fine.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Its not really an upgrade going from a SV to the 6505+, sorry it's not. If you really want that 5150 sound get the 5150/6505 2x12 or head cab. Have you thought of putting a 2x12 cab under your combo?

I'm not saying the 6505+ is a bad amp, but it is no better than your current amp.

typo yeah?
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Quote by iEvil

I'll put it to you this way - I traveled 2 hours to try out a 6505+. When I got there, all they had was the head hooked up to a 4 X 12 cab. I knew I didn't want a halfstack, but I figured the tone would be about the same or at least in the same ballpark. I fell in LOVE with the halfstack's tone. They weren't sure when they'd be getting the 112's in stock, and I got impatient and just ordered one. Having played the head through a cab, I was still not disappointed in my 112, and am still very pleased. Sure, it doesn't have quite the low-end rumble of a halfie, but it sounds brutal enough. I was honestly shocked by how much low end BALLZ it has.

Part of the tone difference, at least in my theory is that you're always playing the head through at least a 2 X 12 cab, probably a 4. That's pushing a lot more air so of course it's going to sound different. Hook up a head to a 1 X 12 speaker and I'd venture to say you might not hear as much difference.

But I'm not a tone snob and have not owned numerous tube amps like some people. I just know that I love my 6505+ and with its one speaker it is more than capable of blowing out my eardrums without even being pushed too hard.
Quote by KailM
I'll put it to you this way - I traveled 2 hours to try out a 6505+. When I got there, all they had was the head hooked up to a 4 X 12 cab. I knew I didn't want a halfstack, but I figured the tone would be about the same or at least in the same ballpark. I fell in LOVE with the halfstack's tone. They weren't sure when they'd be getting the 112's in stock, and I got impatient and just ordered one. Having played the head through a cab, I was still not disappointed in my 112, and am still very pleased. Sure, it doesn't have quite the low-end rumble of a halfie, but it sounds brutal enough. I was honestly shocked by how much low end BALLZ it has.

Part of the tone difference, at least in my theory is that you're always playing the head through at least a 2 X 12 cab, probably a 4. That's pushing a lot more air so of course it's going to sound different. Hook up a head to a 1 X 12 speaker and I'd venture to say you might not hear as much difference.

But I'm not a tone snob and have not owned numerous tube amps like some people. I just know that I love my 6505+ and with its one speaker it is more than capable of blowing out my eardrums without even being pushed too hard.

Probably the most helpful thing I've heard on this thread .
Gear

Schecter C-1+

LTD MH-350NT

Line 6 Valve 212 MkII
Quote by Robbgnarly

I'm not even a huge fan of the 6505 (and I find the fanboyism on these forums pretty ridiculous), but this comment.. I can't understand it. Unless I've played a bunch of broken SVs, it doesn't really come close to what the 6505 can do in terms of high-gain stuff. The 6505 is fizzy for my tastes, but it isn't a muddy disaster of static.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Don't get the combo. Save the money and buy the stack. The 6505+ head is much better than the combo. With the money you'll spend on the v30 plus the combo itself you could get a good cab with the head.
Contrary to what you've been told above, the 6505 is NOT significantly 'louder' than the Spider Valve 212.

It will be marginally louder, but if your 40w SV 212 isn't enough cranked, it's questionable whether a 60w 112 is going to get you where you think you want to be...

All other things being equal, you need to double the output wattage to increase volume by 3db, a barely perceptible increase. To double the volume (10db increase) you need 10X the output power.

I'm wondering, did anyone who responded above think to tell you that the 6505 and SV both use 2 6L6's in the power amp?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
well, i would seriously consider getting the 112 combo and a nice 412 cab. best of both worlds

but yes it is not quite as nice component wise as the head and probably not as reliable either.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 23, 2011,
Quote by 3074326
I'm not even a huge fan of the 6505 (and I find the fanboyism on these forums pretty ridiculous.

The reason its suggested so heavily is because ug is filled with metal heads with low budgets

My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by 3074326
I'm not even a huge fan of the 6505 (and I find the fanboyism on these forums pretty ridiculous), but this comment.. I can't understand it. Unless I've played a bunch of broken SVs, it doesn't really come close to what the 6505 can do in terms of high-gain stuff. The 6505 is fizzy for my tastes, but it isn't a muddy disaster of static.

We're talking the 6505+ combo, not the heads. The SV is a pretty diecent amp, and is every bit as good as the 6505+ combo,now if your talking heads the 6505 is a good head, but the + combo isn't all that great.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
We're talking the 6505+ combo, not the heads. The SV is a pretty diecent amp, and is every bit as good as the 6505+ combo,now if your talking heads the 6505 is a good head, but the + combo isn't all that great.

So....the Spider Valve is not all that great?
Quote by Robbgnarly
The SV is a pretty diecent amp, and is every bit as good as the 6505+ combo,now if your talking heads the 6505 is a good head, but the + combo isn't all that great.

You're kidding right? I know tone is subjective, but... really?

Also, save for the half stack man. You won't regret it. I've played them a few times and jesus christ they're louder than the apocalypse.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie