Hey, I'm trying to change the tubes in my Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401 but I'm having a problem. The tubes that were in there were jj's and I'm replacing them with electro harmonix tubes. Both are EL 84's, but the EHX tubes don't fit. Is there anyway to make it fit or did I just waste $60?
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
You should have measured the tube size first.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I have this one EHX 12ax7 that s too fat to fit in the metal socket for whatever reason.

THat probably doesnt help.

Why exactly wont they fit?
I didn't realize that EL84's came in different sizes.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Major Sparky
Hey, I'm trying to change the tubes in my Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401 but I'm having a problem. The tubes that were in there were jj's and I'm replacing them with electro harmonix tubes. Both are EL 84's, but the EHX tubes don't fit. Is there anyway to make it fit or did I just waste $60?

I'm confused.

Do you mean they are too tall? Taller than the JJs?
To fat?
The pins?
what?

If you buy a set of EL84 power tubes, they should fit. Granted, no two tubes are created equal and you can have some variance in the size of the glass bottle but what you really need are some pictures for us.

Edit: And what made you decide on Electro-Harmonix? Where did you buy them? Are they matched?
EHX EL84 tubes are fatter. That can give one a problem with PCB mounted sockets where the tubes have to pass through a hole in the chassis to get to the socket. Iirc correctly that is how the DS401 is. EHX EL84's are the fattest EL84 of all. There are two ways to rectify the situation:
1: remove the circuit board and file out the chassis hole so they will fit
2: use different valves.

Solution 1 is a pretty radical thing to do to the amp. I might do it but pulling amps to bits and modifying them is something I do. Your best bet is to try to get the supplier to swap them for different valves.

Once again, a demonstration of the inferiority of PCB mounted sockets. Do the disadvantages of board mounted sockets ever end?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah the tubes are too fat. And I bout EHX because that's all my local store had. But I'll try to order some JJ's online and hopefully that'll work. Thanks a lot for the help guys!
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
I'm sure that the shop will give you a refund once you explain that you couldn't even plug them in.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification