so today I realized something. In my 7 years of playing guitar I have not been holding the pick correctly. So please, guide me on how to do this correctly so I can correct my shitty habits.
Machine F**king Head \m/
i dont think theirs a "right" way some famous guitarist hold the pick quite weirdly but because they find it comfortable its normal for them
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
Yeah but I think this is one of the reasons why I've always had trouble doing any tremolo picking
Machine F**king Head \m/
There is no wrong way to hold the pick, especially if it works for you, but there are certain ways to hold the pick to achieve certain effects, like partial artificial harmonics, you need to hold the pick close to the tip, so your finger catches the string just a tad.
I've seen books that say a certain way to hold a pick and I've never seen anyone hold it the way it says. I hold mine correctly for me. It's whatever works for you man, if it hasn't negatively affected you when you play for 7 years I think it's fine.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
but the thing is, it is negatively affecting me. It's really difficult for me to play certain things that would normally be no sweat for someone else
Machine F**king Head \m/
I actually find myself switching how I hold the pick a lot depending what I'm playing. If I'm playing solo's I hold it really close to the tip, and if I'm playing something with a lot of Downpicking (Master of Puppets) I tend to hold it at the top of the pick, but with both my index and middle finger. Basically whatever works, do it that way.
The correct way to hold the pick is between the pad of the thumb and the side of the final joint of your index finger. Your index finger should be curled with the tip pointing towards your wrist. As a guideline, you want the tip of the pick to be around level with your thumb's cuticle.

Edit: Don't listen to the people saying "do whatever is comfortable"; if guitar were as simple as that, there'd be no need for this forum and no-one would have any problems.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Last edited by Aleksi at Aug 21, 2011,
Quote by Aleksi
The correct way to hold the pick is between the pad of the thumb and the side of the final joint of your index finger. Your index finger should be curled with the tip pointing towards your wrist. As a guideline, you want the tip of the pick to be around level with your thumb's cuticle.

Edit: Don't listen to the people saying "do whatever is comfortable"; if guitar were as simple as that, there'd be no need for this forum and no-one would have any problems.

I keep trying like this, but it feels really out of place. Because I've never done it probably, but I'm positive that im not doing it correctly still
Machine F**king Head \m/
I hear you dude I use to hold mine to where it messed up my speed, now I hold it like I'm making an "ok" sign with my hand, only using my thumb and index finger, only problem I have now is I only do down strokes haha
i pick several different ways depending on what i'm playing (and might change during a song in fact). for strumming (especially acoustic), i hold it further toward the top and hold it lightly. if i'm doing any picking, i tend to angle it backwards (opposite to the way it would normally go). i extend my thumb fully, drop my index fingertip slightly, and rotate my hand just a little so i get it. if i'm doing complex lead work, i hold it the "regular" way, but very close to the tip with a very tight grip. i angle my thumb just slightly facing upward to make pinch harmonics easier while also getting my thumb out of the way of accidentally muting strings...

so really, NO. there's no right or wrong way. here's proof. i have three ways of regular picking (and thats not even counting the hybrid methods i use)
u need to angle the pick up or down, i angle mine down by holding the pick between my index and middle finger the lay my thumb flat acxross the back, i use this cause it's stable, strong, when doing right hand tapping i do not have to change my hand position much i just un curl my middle finger and easy to pass through the string as well as in my opion comfortable (this is how i naturaly hold the pick), i have heard that people hold there pick by curling there index finger round, placing the pick on the side and then placing my thumb over the back. Here's some video's i've seen hope i helped. http://www.youtube.com/user/ShredGuitarAcademy#p/c/70CC5D56D79C1564/0/Mx3Tzuoq3Xg
http://www.youtube.com/user/ShredGuitarAcademy#p/c/70CC5D56D79C1564/1/MCaDpAX7BQ0
I see both sides of the whole 'whatever's comfortable to you' argument, but ultimately, I concur that whatever is the most comfortable won't always get you the most speed. There are certain grips that will improve your efficiency , they just take some getting used to.
I just pick up the pick and use it without thinking about it.

I've found that if I think about how I'm going to hold the pick, it won't ever feel comfortable.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Aleksi

There is no "should be" in the guitar world. Both Ace Frehley and Michael Schenker, probably many others as well, hold the pick more or less with the pads of the thumb and index finger. They would never get that piercing tone if they held the pick like you're describing, which forces the pick angle to increase too much, leading to a mushy attack. Especially as they are both wearing their guitars low. I've recently tried wearing it lower, and it is very relaxing for the right arm, but of course, some left hand stretches will be more difficult.

EDIT: If you're using lots of distortion, the way you hold your pick won't matter much, since the fundamental guitar tone is already wrecked. I'm talking about the classic rock sound with a modest amount of overdrive, and in Ace's case, through Marshalls without master volume.
Last edited by matsp888 at Oct 12, 2016,
Quote by matsp888
There is no "should be" in the guitar world

But there's a 'should not' with regard to necro bumping in the forum world ;-)
I've never looked at how I hold my pick.
Now that i did see, i usd my thumb and middle finger, with the index kinda curled to support the top. That's how i naturally hold it i guess. I tried fast downpicking as per what someone said was the correct way, but that got me tired real fast