Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, just came accross a really good deal on a marshall mode four head, but I've never heard on live. I'm looking for a head to use for band practice that I can just leave there and not have to worry about.

Anyone have any experience with these? And how would they do with modern metal tones. I havent been able to find many helpful reviews. I know the amp 2 part was built for modern tones but nobody really specifies how it sounds, but I've heard it attempts a dual rec tone.
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Epiphone SG-400 Limited Edition w/ EMG 81/85

Madison Divinity w/ JJ Preamps
Peavey 6505
2 Custom Built Cabs w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
i use to have the mf350. i never had a single problem with it. it was actually a really good amp. and it actually does have great tone. i played through and boss mt-2 metal zone pedal everyonce in awhile and it sounded great. i would recommend it. they are pretty bulky though. the head is huge. but deffinatly worth the buy in my opinion.
Quote by skate.emerica89
i use to have the mf350. i never had a single problem with it. it was actually a really good amp. and it actually does have great tone. i played through and boss mt-2 metal zone pedal everyonce in awhile and it sounded great. i would recommend it. they are pretty bulky though. the head is huge. but deffinatly worth the buy in my opinion.

Thanks for the input. Is it comparable to any other amps?
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
Quote by beckyjc
Id stick with your plans for the 6505.

Marshall arent exactly notorious for their solid states...

My plans for the 6505???
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
ahh sorry, dunno why but i thought what was in your sig was a wish list..
Considering you were asking about the mode four anyway.

See if you can find an Ampeg VH140.

Killer SS amp for metalz.
Quote by beckyjc
ahh sorry, dunno why but i thought what was in your sig was a wish list..
Considering you were asking about the mode four anyway.

See if you can find an Ampeg VH140.

Killer SS amp for metalz.

I've heard and liked one of those before. But I can't get it for the price I'm getting the mode four. I just want some input on how the marshall actually sounds, as I can get it cheaper than cheap which is really the main reason im considering it.
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
how much are you getting it for? and its not even really a solid state head. its a hybrid. it does have tubes. its just not purely tube driven. i though mine sounded great. john 5 use to play through one. and as far as sound goes. i honestly really wouldnt know what to compare it to. see if you can play on it before you buy? im sure he would let you unless he has something to hide about it. like maybe something not working.
Quote by skate.emerica89
how much are you getting it for? and its not even really a solid state head. its a hybrid. it does have tubes. its just not purely tube driven. i though mine sounded great. john 5 use to play through one. and as far as sound goes. i honestly really wouldnt know what to compare it to. see if you can play on it before you buy? im sure he would let you unless he has something to hide about it. like maybe something not working.

225. Its from a friend I met on tour. He lives a couple states away so for me to try it I would have to drive like 8 hours haha. I trust that its in good form, I just want to know it a decent amp before I buy
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
I've had one for a while and I like it very much. It has a heavy bass response; particularly when used with the Mode Four cabinets. It is a very loud amp. Be ready to play with the EQ to get the sound you're looking for, but it is surprisingly versatile. $225.00 sounds like a very good price for one in fine shape.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by skate.emerica89
thats a steal man. they are kinda pricey amps.

Kinda over-pricey amps you mean?

They are pretty crappy amps really. It may be worth getting if you planned on flipping it but I wouldn't want to actually to play it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Kinda over-pricey amps you mean?

They are pretty crappy amps really. It may be worth getting if you planned on flipping it but I wouldn't want to actually to play it.

This is based on what? Why is it crappy?

I too bought one just to leave down at the studio to "not worry about it" and it turned out that it's not a bad amp. It actually sounds really good. It's heavy and full. The EQ's work great. No problems with it at all. For that cheap, I would get it. I also have a JCM800 2203 and I can get the same sound out of the crunch channel which I think the crunch channel was modeled after. I don't use the other Amps in it too much. They are pretty heavy but sound good. It is loud and the boost feature is nice.
Well it is an innovative design I guess. It's a hybrid with 2 valve preamps (although with 1 valve each (ECC83) and I'm guessing there's some SS at work there) and 4 channels for some versatility. Ridiculous amount of power for a guitar amp, but I guess it is a SS power-amp. It wouldn't be that different to running a rack-mount valve preamp through an SS power amp, but you can probably get better ones.

Anyway, if you want an idea of how it sounds... think System of a Down. It's a pretty harsh heavy tone. You could probably get a lot worse sounding $200 amps, and it'll get brutal but it's not the best amp in the world. I'm pretty sure SOAD have moved onto stuff like Dual Rectos, Soldanos, Marshall JMP100s. http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/166-system-of-a-downs-daron-malakians-guitar-rig-gear-and-equipment

The Mode 4 will probably do well clean, has a ton of headroom and would beat most of the distortion pedals out there, but there's much better amps. Although it seems like a steal for $200. BTW, SOAD had theirs modded pretty heavily so it'll probably be better.

Lol @ the metal-zone comment. Someone hasn't tried an Emma pedal XD.

But yeah... don't be surprised if he's sold out a bit to use the Mode 4 and market the metalzone;
http://www.frugalguitarist.com/Frugal.aspx?ISSUE=15&PAGE=Solid%20State%20Hate%20%282%29
Just scroll down and note that some dude from Static X used a MG in his rig, lol.
Quote by Griffin Effects
This is based on what? Why is it crappy?

I too bought one just to leave down at the studio to "not worry about it" and it turned out that it's not a bad amp. It actually sounds really good. It's heavy and full. The EQ's work great. No problems with it at all. For that cheap, I would get it. I also have a JCM800 2203 and I can get the same sound out of the crunch channel which I think the crunch channel was modeled after. I don't use the other Amps in it too much. They are pretty heavy but sound good. It is loud and the boost feature is nice.

They just have that awful SS Marshall fizz to them - like a bee stuck in your nose.
You think you can get the same sound out of a Mode 4 as a 2203??? Can you refer me to your drug dealer please.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
They just have that awful SS Marshall fizz to them - like a bee stuck in your nose.
You think you can get the same sound out of a Mode 4 as a 2203??? Can you refer me to your drug dealer please.

this.

i'd be quite worried if i was making a 2203 sound like a mode 4..
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I think he meant the other way around. I have not heard that Daron M. uses them for recording, only heard him talk about them as writing tools lol.
Quote by baumaxx1
I think he meant the other way around. I have not heard that Daron M. uses them for recording, only heard him talk about them as writing tools lol.

if he's getting them to sound the same (which i doubt unless there's something wrong with the 2203) then it's not really a matter of getting one to sound like the other or vice versa because they sound the same anyway, don't they?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

They're crappy overpowered(and overpriced when new) valvestates which will still get drowned out by a 50 watt tube head.
I know a guy that used one live. It broke down but when he used it i couldnt hear him over a dsl. I've actually loaned him my ultra plus for a few shows since he a lot on the go he sounds way better if i say so myself
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Aug 22, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
They're crappy overpowered(and overpriced when new) valvestates which will still get drowned out by a 50 watt tube head.
I know a guy that used one live. It broke down but when he used it i couldnt hear him over a dsl. I've actually loaned him my ultra plus for a few shows since he a lot on the go he sounds way better if i say so myself

i know loads of guys who used them live, they are very popular where i grew up, for some reason. one of the best guitarists i know even sounded like ass when his mesa blew a fuse and he had to borrow a mode four...

Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 22, 2011,
Do you guys even have one? Don't say they're crappy unless you have one or had one. Just because you read it somewhere, someone told you , or you heard one doesn't mean they are crappy. I have it side by side with my 2203 right now and I can dial in the crunch channel to sound almost exactly the same as my 2203. I woulndn't say it's 100% but maybe 95%. If they weren't side by side it'd be hard to tell.

Mine isn't fizzy at all. I'm not saying it's the greatest amp out there but it's not a bad amp.

As for being drowned out by a 50 watt tube amp, I don't think so. It's plenty loud. I had it at the studio for years and played with other guitarist and their amps and it's never been drowned out by another amp. It's pretty loud. Again, my Mode 4 is 5 feet away from my 100w 2203 and it can keep up with that pretty well as far as volume.
Either your 2203 is broken or your ears are.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Griffin Effects
Do you guys even have one? Don't say they're crappy unless you have one or had one. Just because you read it somewhere, someone told you , or you heard one doesn't mean they are crappy.

Doesnt mean they arent crappy.

In fact when 90% of the internet agrees vs just this one guy that for some reason thinks it sounds just like the 2203 it probably means just that.

It's an overpowered DSP amp with some valves thrown in.

I havent tried it. My experiance with the budget end of marshall doesnt inspire me to go out an play it.

Besides, why would marshall make an amp than sounds 95% the same as a 2203 for 1/2 of the price? Forgive my skepticism.

Clips?
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 22, 2011,
Quote by Griffin Effects
Do you guys even have one? Don't say they're crappy unless you have one or had one. Just because you read it somewhere, someone told you , or you heard one doesn't mean they are crappy. I have it side by side with my 2203 right now and I can dial in the crunch channel to sound almost exactly the same as my 2203. I woulndn't say it's 100% but maybe 95%. If they weren't side by side it'd be hard to tell.

Mine isn't fizzy at all. I'm not saying it's the greatest amp out there but it's not a bad amp.

As for being drowned out by a 50 watt tube amp, I don't think so. It's plenty loud. I had it at the studio for years and played with other guitarist and their amps and it's never been drowned out by another amp. It's pretty loud. Again, my Mode 4 is 5 feet away from my 100w 2203 and it can keep up with that pretty well as far as volume.

Lets hear a side by side of your mode four and 2203
GO ON.
Prove us all wrong!
Guys I wouldn't trade my 2203 in for anything and I'm not saying it's EXACTLY like the 2203. I'm saying I can dial it in to sound really close.

Just because people say stuff on the internet doesn't mean it's true. I hate to break the news to you. It be interesting to know how many of the 90% actually have had one.

I'll try to get some clips up when I get a chance. You guys are rediculous!
It's a decent amp and for ~$200 it would be well worth getting.

Why do you guys think it would be impossible to dial in a sound close to a 2203? Oh, because it's "crappy". I'll try and get some clips up in the next day or two. I'll try to record a few clips and you guys tell me which amp is which.
Quote by Griffin Effects
Do you guys even have one? Don't say they're crappy unless you have one or had one. Just because you read it somewhere, someone told you , or you heard one doesn't mean they are crappy.

seems to me like you care too much about what other people think of your amp.

maybe my problem with the mode four is less to do with the amp itself and more to do with the people who use them. of course that only includes mode four users i've actually had to work with. nonetheless, i still hate the way the distortion sounds - you can't dial out the way the amp clips the signal, unfortunately.

Quote by Griffin Effects
Don't say they're crappy unless you have one or had one. Just because you read it somewhere, someone told you , or you heard one doesn't mean they are crappy.

I'm with you until that last bit. If you hear one and it sucks... Well I think that's that.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Honestly, I don't care at all really. I really don't care about the amp too much either. I bought it just to keep down at the studio as an "I don't care what happens to it" amp.

This is just another case of the kids on here taking a simple comment and blowing it out of proportion. I know most of them don't have either of these amps not to mention both at the same time next to each other.
Quote by tubetime86
I'm with you until that last bit. If you hear one and it sucks... Well I think that's that.

Well, just because you hear someone use one and it sounds crappy doesn't mean it's crappy. Their setting could be way off, pedals, guitar, etc. can all be set to "crappy"!
I've heard people with amazing gear sound crappy.
I dont believe everything im told on the interwebs.

Just like i dont believe the mode four sounds like a 2203.

Go figure.

Its not outside of reason to expect them to be crap when marshall cant even get most of their valve amps right.
The "don't comment unless you own one" argument is nonsensical, as is the implication (without any evidence) that people who are commenting have no experience whatsoever with the amp.

Here's my take:
The Mode Four is cheap, and it is loud, and it looks like a Marshall. It gets some tones that I thought were all right for modern metal. If you mostly want cheap, big, and loud, it's fine. If you've got more than $500 to spend on an amp, don't bother. It's a decent stage amp, since it's got the requisite looks, volume, and it is predictable tone-wise through most of the volume sweep.

I just can't see a lot of situations in which buying one would be a good idea, unless it's a backup head. They're not great amps, and buying a head + cab setup with a Mode Four isn't going to be all that cost effective unless you really, really need a crapload of volume cheap.
I'm a kid? Hey, how about that?

Yes, head bad, cab good. Well the big version of the cab is anyway. The little version has "custom Celestions" which is usually code for Seventy 80's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Griffin Effects
Honestly, I don't care at all really. I really don't care about the amp too much either. I bought it just to keep down at the studio as an "I don't care what happens to it" amp.

This is just another case of the kids on here taking a simple comment and blowing it out of proportion. I know most of them don't have either of these amps not to mention both at the same time next to each other.

if you really don't care, then why are you running down other people's opinions of the amp that conflict with your own by assuming they must just be kids who don't know anything at all about the amp?

with regards to settings being "off", like i said before, if the distortion is just buzzy you can't dial it out, it's just the way the amp clips the signal to produce it's distortion sound. no amount of tweaking settings is going to cover up the inherent characteristics of how an amp sounds.

edit: eww, seventy80s i don't miss mine. it sounded like... a toilet... i'm not joking.

Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 22, 2011,
Go back and read my first post here (#13) I just asked why it was it they said it was "crappy". I just wonder what they based their opinion on. I never run down anyones opinion of the amp. I yet to have someone on here say they HAVE ONE and dislike it. That's all. I made a simple comment that I can almost get a 2203 sound out of the crunch channel and all hell breaks loose. I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong or anything. I didn't say I was going to post soundclips to prove you guys wrong. You guys asked for them to "prove us wrong". If anyone is running down anyones opinion of the amp, it's you guys trying to run down my opinion!
It was me that said it was crappy. I based my opinion on my ears. As I said, they sound like a bee stuck in your nose.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
To each his or her own, everyone! It isn't worth a flamewar.

Quote by Cathbard
It was me that said it was crappy. I based my opinion on my ears. As I said, they sound like a bee stuck in your nose.

But I play mine clean most of the time!

I suppose it could sound like a clean bee stuck in one's nose?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Page 1 of 2