Ok so my friend is getting a Peavey 3120 for an awesome price. Problem is he needs a decent cab.

He only has about $200 to put on the cab....all the cabs I would recommend are out of this range....
He IS wanting to go used.

Any recommendations please?
4x12 or 2x12?

In the case of the former, it doesn't really matter since there's no way you'll get a "good" cab for that cheap. Just get the Peavey Windsor cab and upgrade the speakers at a later date if possible.

I want to say the same thing in case of a 2x12, but I'm thinking there probably aren't any good cabs for that cheap either. Maybe a used Avatar.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
4x12 or 2x12?

In the case of the former, it doesn't really matter since there's no way you'll get a "good" cab for that cheap. Just get the Peavey Windsor cab and upgrade the speakers at a later date if possible.

I want to say the same thing in case of a 2x12, but I'm thinking there probably aren't any good cabs for that cheap either. Maybe a used Avatar.

Isn't the Windsor cab awful?
It's not any less awful than anything else in that price range. I would certainly take it over a Bugera or a Behringer or a Crate. I just said the Windsor cause Peavey doesn't make a cab for the 3120, and that cab is the closest to it, aesthetically. I think the logos are slightly different shades of gold, but w/e.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
It's not any less awful than anything else in that price range. I would certainly take it over a Bugera or a Behringer or a Crate. I just said the Windsor cause Peavey doesn't make a cab for the 3120, and that cab is the closest to it, aesthetically. I think the logos are slightly different shades of gold, but w/e.

how are the 5150 cabs?
If they're the same Sheffields that are in my 5150 combo, then nothing to write home about.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
If they're the same Sheffields that are in my 5150 combo, then nothing to write home about.

well would you say 5150 cab > Windsor cab or vice versa?
5150 cabs aren't awful (could be REALLY good with better speakers). The speakers are the 'meh' part about them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The 5150 is probably better, but it's kind of like comparing gonorrhea to chlamydia. Although not nearly as bad as those obviously

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If I could find one used for cheap I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I do not like my Carvin cab at all (G12m-70s are among the worst speakers out there) .
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
If I could find one used for cheap I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I do not like my Carvin cab at all (G12m-70s are among the worst speakers out there) .

+100 haha. i traded a line 6 cabinet with 4 m70's in it for a Kustom cab with English T75's. i was thrilled to get rid of those.

now unfortunately i have a single m70 in a combo that i pulled the chassis out and built a head case for it, and am just waiting for somebody to respond to a trade ad on CL...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by oneblackened

Cant be as bad as mesa black shadow C-90s. I F***ing hate mine
I would buy one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/kustom-defender-1x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet/423625000001000

And then buy the eminence Delta Pro or a texas heat.

MF has a tone of cabs for $250 or less, even 4x12's!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Grab some nice Eminence drivers and make your own (As celestions are overpriced).

Otherwise Jet City make a good 1x12, although you'd need the 212 for that amp as it probably won't handle the power. You could get a 1x12 shell though and a speaker that handles the 100-120w the 3120 can put out though.
Quote by baumaxx1
Grab some nice Eminence drivers and make your own (As celestions are overpriced).

Otherwise Jet City make a good 1x12, although you'd need the 212 for that amp as it probably won't handle the power. You could get a 1x12 shell though and a speaker that handles the 100-120w the 3120 can put out though.

Eminence delta pro I mentioned handles 400W easy, and up to 800 watts for music playback.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra