Does anyone else at random times get that "...What am I doing I suck at guitar" feeling?

It's been happening to me a lot.
I guess one thing is my playing isn't always satisfying me musically. Like I don't want to sit there and just play riffs and little boring licks.
It makes me not like playing in stores.

I'm not complaining. Just wanting to hear fellow players' stories on these kinds of things and how they overcame them
I feel ya, bro. I'm pretty good at guitar, but it's never seems to be good enough. I guess you should learn some songs that you like, so it will be more than just riffs and licks. I find that my most "I suck" moments are when I'm trying to compose.
In the works.
yeah for a while i felt like that mostly becasue i couldnt find a band to play in
then i realised id just practice and play and write til i find a group of people who want to play similar styles of music as me and are not asshats

i still feel that way sometmes
Last edited by supersac at Aug 22, 2011,
sometimes, yeah.
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
Quote by ghostmastery
I feel ya, bro. I'm pretty good at guitar, but it's never seems to be good enough. I guess you should learn some songs that you like, so it will be more than just riffs and licks. I find that my most "I suck" moments are when I'm trying to compose.

Other people say I'm good. But like you just said, I never feel "good enough".
And I need to start learning songs I like. Problem is, if I actually want to learn it, it's usually an A7X solo...nuff said xD I'll start working on it, but I end up stopping. Idk why O_O
mostly when i realize that all the fun stuff i play is not my own, its other peoples.
and that i have an awful time writing my own stuff. i wish i was more creative. it can definitely be a downer. but the fun parts of playing the guitar definitely outdo the crappy parts
I guess another thing is my acoustic playing.
I mean I know my plain old G, C, C9, D, etc etc etc. And I also know 7th chords, min and maj 7th chords, and all that other theory junk.
But I hear other people play acoustic and they play these big beautiful chords and I'm just like wtf my acoustic playing sounds like crap in comparison -_-
Yeah it sucks man, It usually happens with the seasons. In summer I think I'm f#cking ace, and I am, I'm the best guitarist I know (That sounds so god damn pretentious). But then winter comes along and I realise (or start to think) that I'm inferior that what I should be or could be at this stage. Then it begins to apply to me physically and I can barely sweep tap any more or my note selection starts screwing up or my sense of phrasing just down right disappears. It's like I get stuck back into my blues box days 2 years ago. Its happening right now (although winter is nearly over, pretty much spring coming along).

So... Maybe you're the same or opposite idk. Summer is just an inventive end of year time for me. I got a back catalouge of Paul gilbert stuff to learn so i'm chock full of awesome stuff coming!
Quote by Mr.-Bungle
Yeah it sucks man, It usually happens with the seasons. In summer I think I'm f#cking ace, and I am, I'm the best guitarist I know (That sounds so god damn pretentious). But then winter comes along and I realise (or start to think) that I'm inferior that what I should be or could be at this stage. Then it begins to apply to me physically and I can barely sweep tap any more or my note selection starts screwing up or my sense of phrasing just down right disappears. It's like I get stuck back into my blues box days 2 years ago. Its happening right now (although winter is nearly over, pretty much spring coming along).

So... Maybe you're the same or opposite idk. Summer is just an inventive end of year time for me. I got a back catalouge of Paul gilbert stuff to learn so i'm chock full of awesome stuff coming!

The box thing is part of my problem. I find it hard to move around naturally
Constantly happens

To improve your own writing (i seriously need to work on this aspect of my playing, i suck at it horribly) analyze other peoples music, ill quote one fella from MT

Quote by griffRG7321
Tonality: What key is it in? What modulations are there? Is there a key?

Rhythm: What are some rhythmic motifs, what duration of notes are being used at different points? What's the harmonic rhythm?

Harmony: What are the chord progressions? Are there inversions? extended chords? harmonic decoration? sequences? Chromaticism? Where are the cadences? What effect do these have on the music?

Tempo: What's the tempo? Are there any tempo changes? what to the tempo changes add to the piece?

Dynamics: How are dynamics used in the piece? Are there any crescendos/diminuendos? How do these relate to the music?

Structure: What is the structure? Are any sections repeated? Is there a form?

Instrumentation: What group of instruments are playing? are they playing all the time? How is interest generated from changes in instrumentation?

Timbre: What's the timbre of the instruments? how are they playing?

Melody: What's the melody like? Is it fast/slow? What length are the phrases? How does it develop rhythmic and melodic motifs? What sort of melodic decoration is being used? What's the tessitura (range) of the melody?

Texture: What's the texture of the piece? Are there any changes of texture? What effect do these have on the music?

My basic format for analyzing music.
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Yeah, blues box is a bitch once it has a strangle hold on you.. I don't know of any direct action you can take to get out of it.. but, what I do is usually put the guitar down (or anything musical) give it a day or two and by then i'm aching to play. This usually has me playing for hours and rippin' sh@t up.

Also traverse in different styles of playing. This helped me a lot back in the day. If you've found you've become stuck in the box go play some classical or jazz. I usually just go learning some Zelda covers on youtube or my favourite "True colours" by Cyndi lauper. That sh@t is sweet.

Idk if any of that will help. But yeah. You might find put it down for a down or two, giving yourself a rest and going back might do the job. Hopefully it does man. Good luck!
I think everyone has these moments. With me, I usually set myself a goal and think, wow, once I can play this or that l'll be happy because then I'll really be an awesome guitar player, but when I get to that point, there's already another lick or riff that I can't play for sh*t and I feel just as useless as before.
The point is, I think that you never stop learning with a musical instrument, and there is always going to be other people that you think are so much better than you. The point is to keep working at it and not worry too much about not being good enough.
As for writing your own music, I find that if I sit down and try to come up with something, I might as well just not bother, because I will inevitably end up really frustrated and ready to smash my guitar to bits. On the other hand, loads of times I'll just sit down and pick up the guitar, and just try out some stuff, and I'll be like, that actually sounds quite decent and then I just develop something from there. It also always works starting off 'ripping off' bits and pieces from other songs that you like and making something new out of it. Before you all have a go at me for saying that, whenever I've done that, I've always ended up with something that sounded completely different to the 'inspiration'.
Quote by ghostmastery

Mine happens when I listen to some of the stuff that I compose.

Then I ask myself, "Seriously?"
Quote by Mr.-Bungle
Yeah it sucks man, It usually happens with the seasons. In summer I think I'm f#cking ace, and I am, I'm the best guitarist I know (That sounds so god damn pretentious). But then winter comes along and I realise (or start to think) that I'm inferior that what I should be or could be at this stage.

Not to derail this thread, but this sounds like the main thrust of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD,) a form of depression.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.