Name some events that took place in our world that were just horrible, yet not so well-known. The Holocaust, obviously just awful, is widely known about and taught in schools quite a bit. So pick things that many people are completely unaware of. You can choose things that were widespread like a genocide somewhere, or things on a very small scale like something very bad to happen in a small town.

I'll start with Unit 731:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

War crimes from Japan in WWII. Although I think this might not be too unknown as I think History did a documentary on it not too long ago. Still very interesting read (look at the Activities section of the article) and it's pretty bad.
Last edited by The Madcap at Aug 22, 2011,
February 28th, 1990.

Quote by genghisgandhi
Lil B's tragic under-appreciation.

The day Lil B decided he wanted to pretend he was a musician.
Check out my band Disturbed
Wait, how is the Holocaust an example of a little known tragedy?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
All the fires in St John's, Canada. If you read about their history, they've been having horrible luck since day one.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Lil B's tragic under-appreciation.

+1,000 Lil B gotta blow up soon!
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubana_Flight_455

Cuban passenger airliner blown up by anti-Castro terrorists who were then given refuge in the United States. One of them only just died this year.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Last edited by ErikLensherr at Aug 22, 2011,
Like most of American labor history, the Haymarket Massacre is a criminally overlooked tragedy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_affair

On 1 May 1886, Hundreds of thousands of workers participated in a mass strike to get an eight-hour work day since the state wasn't enforcing the law properly. In Chicago, the heart of the American labor movement, police opened fire on six unarmed protesters.

A massive uproar resounded across the nation and three days later, the International Working Peoples' Association held a rally at Haymarket Square with thousands of people. As the last speaker finished his remarks that rainy evening, with only 200 of the most dedicated workers remaining at the rally, 180 armed police marched forward and demanded the workers to disperse. Deep within the police ranks, a bomb exploded killing seven cops. The police opened fire on the unarmed workers - the number of workers wounded and killed by the cops is unknown to this day.

Eight anarchists were arrested and tried. Despite seven of them not even being present at the protest - and the other being the one trying to get the attention of the crowd at the time of the bombing - they were all convicted of murder. Four of the prisoners were executed, one committed suicide, and the three remaining were pardoned due to immense working class upheaval in 1893.
Huge earthquake...

The 1906 San Francisco earthquake was the deadliest ever.
FICTION: Though well known, the magnitude 7.8 San Francisco earthquake and ensuing fire killed 3,000 and razed large sections of the city. It was the most deadly in U.S. history, but that doesn’t make it the worst the world has seen, by far. The deadliest earthquake in recorded history struck Shensi province in China in 1556, killing about 830,000 people. The 1976 magnitude 7.8 earthquake which struck Tangshan, China killed somewhere between 250,000 and 800,000 people. In 2003, the magnitude 6.5 earthquake in Bam, Iran killed more than 40,000 people. The earthquake in Chile on May 22, 1960, is the strongest to be recorded in the world with magnitude 9.5, and killed more than 4,000. For the record, the largest U.S. earthquake occurred on March 28, 1964, in Alaska. It was a magnitude 9.2 quake and took 131 lives.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
The millions of semen that just lost their lives in my toilet
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Actually, it's a little known fact that the United States stands convicted by the International Court of Justice for acts of terrorism and unlawful aggression against the people of Nicaragua, circa 1984.

The U.S. later blocked enforcement of the judgment by the United Nations Security Council and thereby prevented Nicaragua from obtaining any actual compensation for the destruction and massacre perpetrated by the US-backed Contras, the mining of Nicaragua's shores, the bombing of Central Managua by the Somoza dictatorship, propped-up by the Reagan administration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaragua_v._United_States
Every disaster to hit China. The media isn't allowed to tell the Chinese what's happening.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by Rising
Actually, it's a little known fact that the United States stands convicted by the International Court of Justice for acts of terrorism and unlawful aggression against the people of Nicaragua, circa 1984.

The U.S. later blocked enforcement of the judgment by the United Nations Security Council and thereby prevented Nicaragua from obtaining any actual compensation for the destruction and massacre perpetrated by the US-backed Contras, the mining of Nicaragua's shores, the bombing of Central Managua by the Somoza dictatorship, propped-up by the Reagan administration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaragua_v._United_States

True, but consider the fact that the US funds most of the UN.

Also, to go along with the post WWII rapes in Germany by the Soviets, there were also mass internment camps of German civilians by the Western allies in which thousands, possibly even millions (if I remember correctly, although the stats are pretty inconclusive) died of starvation.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by Gman400
True, but consider the fact that the US funds most of the UN.

Yeah, so?

Hence, they got away with mass murder. Was that your point?
It's not that unknown, but how once Columbus reached the Americas, Europeans proceeded to slaughter and commit genocide against the entire Indian population living on those islands.
- The Soviet planned starvation of Ukraine that resulted in ~10 million dead during WW2
- Soviet forced population movements that resulted in a million dead Poles, hundreds of thousands of various non-Russians and Russians in Russia
- ~600,000 dead Iraqis as a result of the war in Iraq
Quote by aCloudConnected
It's not that unknown, but how once Columbus reached the Americas, Europeans proceeded to slaughter and commit genocide against the entire Indian population living on those islands.

It's not unknown, but it's totally taken for granted.

People seem to think the handing-over of Native and Mexican land to the Europeans was some peaceful affair.