Hi,

I am in the market for a new bass amp. I will use it to record and play shows regularly (from bar to festival size), so I need a decent sounding amp. I don't have an exact budget because I will spend what I need to get something useful, but the cheaper the better haha. I play through a fender p-bass and play roots/folk/alt-country/blues type music (think wilco type instrumentation), so I play clean and just want some plain old really nice tone (P.s. I usually eq something along the lines of bass = 8, mids =5/6, treble = 2/3).

What I need:

- rated at greater than 200 (solid state) watts
- not going to go tube unless I can find a really nice vintage amp
- line out for bigger shows (where they don't mic amps)

Mainly looking for advice on a few heads I have been looking at and maybe some other suggestions, as well as advice on what cabs (with what speakers -- celestion/eminence?) I should keep an eye out for (ampeg, trace, gall kreug?)... I would preferably like to buy a used cab so it would just be good to kind of know what to look for (I am not decided on any specific speaker combination, I am not too picky and I don't want to spend too much but I want more than one speaker so probably 2x10 or something).

Here are some heads I have been looking at:

1)
Ampeg
SVTMH - 200 Watt Micro Head
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/10462/Guitars/Bass_Amps/Ampeg/SVTMH_-_200_Watt_Micro_Head.htm

2)
Gallien-Krueger
MB200 - Mircobass 200-Watt Head
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/8528/Guitars/Bass_Amps/Gallien-Krueger/MB200_-_Mircobass_200-Watt_Head.htm

3)
Gallien-Krueger
600BL - 300watt Bass Amplifier
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/1567/Guitars/Bass_Amps/Gallien-Krueger/600BL_-_300watt_Bass_Amplifier.htm

and a combo:

4)
Fender Bassman TV Duo Ten Combo
http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_134&products_id=7416

Does anyone know about Traynor bass amps? I have heard good things about some inexpensive ones but haven't seen any? Also does anyone know about this amp -- The Traynor mono block II?
http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=11&cat=66&id=394#mono2

I found one for $275 and thought it sounded pretty good...

Also, I am aware it is a guitar amp and have played through a vintage bassman head on guitar, and a '59 reissue combo on guitar as well, but have not played through either with a bass; does anyone know how they sound? It is basically one of my favorite sounding guitar amps (tied with the twin), but I have heard it doesn't really cut it as a bass amp at all... I would love to have an excuse to buy this:
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/610/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Fender_Musical_Instruments/59_Bassman_LTD.htm

I think that is about it, thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer. Cab rec's are greatly appreciated as well.
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Aug 22, 2011,
The amps you listed are too small for gigging, except for the 600-watt GK. The GK is a Backline series, and they aren't known for quality. Take a look at some bigger combos. Fender's Rumble 350 2x10 isn't too expensive and should suit your needs.

What other brands are available in your area?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The TV Duo Ten sure looks nice.

That Traynor mono block II runs 325 Watts @ 2 Ohms.
At 4 Ohms, it will be considerably less. At 8 Ohms it
would be around 100 watts.

Tabdog
Quote by FatalGear41
The amps you listed are too small for gigging, except for the 600-watt GK. The GK is a Backline series, and they aren't known for quality. Take a look at some bigger combos. Fender's Rumble 350 2x10 isn't too expensive and should suit your needs.

What other brands are available in your area?

uhh no offense but 200w certainly is not too small for gigging and in my opinion the fender rumble sounds like shit so thanks but no thanks.

P.S. the GK I listed was 300w @4ohms, not 600w, and I'm not sure what universe you live in that you need 600w to play a show or that an amp 200w-350w is too small, but it's definitely not this one... Since my amp broke I have been using a friend's 100w 1x12 combo and it is quiet and sounds like shit but it absolutely gets the job done.

Quote by tabdog
The TV Duo Ten sure looks nice.

That Traynor mono block II runs 325 Watts @ 2 Ohms.
At 4 Ohms, it will be considerably less. At 8 Ohms it
would be around 100 watts.

Tabdog

hmm yeah I had noticed that but it is actually regarded as being one of the louder amps produced....
Last edited by tona_107 at Aug 22, 2011,
I'm not familiar with the new lightweight ampeg and GK heads, so this could be totally irrelevant, but I will say that their other "budget" line models (anything other than their top shelf stuff) are over-rated for power.

I agree that 200w can do it, but you'll probably want more than a 2*10 or if you do use a 2*10, you'll want it tilted back to get a decent amount of stage volume to your ears.

And the bassman RI sounds great on bass, but at 50w it won't give you enough headroom for clean playing of those "plain old really nice tones" you want. If you want to go the traynor route, you might skip the SS and get a YBA-200, which pop up for $450-$600 used a lot. It's a great bass amp, and a great clean guitar amp. You can get some decent old-school honky preamp crunch from it too for guitar. As a bass amp it has no reverb, but it is voiced in a way that works very well with guitar, has lots of eq options, and it has an effects loop.
The only two types of heads i use on a regular basis are Traynors and GK.

I suggest you go USED when looking for amps.

My Traynor is a 70's full tube YBA-3cs. I got it in emmaculate condition, for $450 shipped.

On the GK side, i use a 400rb and 800rb. Both 80's models with attached power cords. The 400rb set me back a whole $75, while the 800rb was $250.

Out of all of those, i use the 400rb the most. The tone is great, even for it's small ammount of rated wattage. I use it with a 6x10, and i've never had to crank it too high for any gig.

Out of what you listed... the Mono Block II is an awesome old-school solidstate. I'd choose that in a heartbeat.

If you go new, i'd choose GK over most other stuff. Their micro-amps, to me, sound the best. If you like the MB series, i suggest you look into an MB210 combo. It's a great sounding 2x10 combo, with a speaker out to add another cab of your choice, when you want to move mor air.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by tona_107
uhh no offense but 200w certainly is not too small for gigging and in my opinion the fender rumble sounds like shit so thanks but no thanks.

P.S. the GK I listed was 300w @4ohms, not 600w, and I'm not sure what universe you live in that you need 600w to play a show or that an amp 200w-350w is too small, but it's definitely not this one... Since my amp broke I have been using a friend's 100w 1x12 combo and it is quiet and sounds like shit but it absolutely gets the job done.

In most cases, you're going to need three times the power of the guitar amplifier. If your guitarist has a 100-watt amp (particularly if it is tube), it will drown a 200-watt amp (particularly a solid-state amp). The GK is 300 watts - my mistake - I saw the 600 designation. The Ampeg is a practice amp; a novelty version of the classic SVT stack. It was never intended for gigging.

I've used 200 and 300 watt amps for bass in the past and have always been drowned out by the guitarist, which is why I stopped using them. You might be able to mic one, but in many cases the sound will be poor; particularly if the club or venue's sound system isn't up to the job. Most clubs have a system that is designed primarily for running the vocals and monitors.

If you want to gig with a practice amp, go ahead. i don't think you'll be happy with the results unless you are playing backyard parties. Remember: bass frequencies behave differently from guitar frequencies.
I got a new Carvin BR510N for a little less than $700 (including tax), and I really like it. It has a 9-band EQ on-board that really helps me fine tune my sound. You should be able to find some Carvin bass amps used in the $300-$400 range.

I don't own it, but I heard someone at my local music store playing an Orange Bass Terror, and he had the clearest, fattest sound I've ever heard, though it may be out of your price range.

Other than that, I've used a Fender Rumble 350, which was pretty good and I own a Rumble 15, which I like.
Last edited by TheLetheProject at Aug 22, 2011,
Carvins are fantastic. I've had an R1000 and several Carvin bass cabinets for years and it has never let me down. The Fender Rumble series has improved somewhat, and the 2x10 model is pretty good. There are other 2x10 amps I'd rather have, but for the price it is a good deal, along with the Acoustic.
I just picked up one of these and have giged it. Great sounding amp and the rest of the band loved the sound. Not sure how it will hold up but so far I love the amp. Only 37 pounds too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gallien-Krueger-MB212-2x12-500W-Ultralight-Bass-Combo-/200639261604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb7082ba4

I should add that the MB210 is also a great amp and it does have one advantage, it has a speaker out so you can add another cabinet if needed, the other MB models don't have it.
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
Last edited by rexherring at Aug 23, 2011,
Anybody know about the Ampeg PF-350s and their matching cabs? Probably going to go check them out this weekend.
Well... if you like the bassman sound, I could reccomend a Hartke LH500/LH1000? They seem to based on the old Bassman's, and I love my LH500 to death /fanboyish

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LH500/ As you see, you can get them quite cheap.

When it comes to cabinets, it is kind of up to you. I would suggest the Hartke Hydrive cabinets to a LH head, but keep in mind that the LH500 only has 2 8 ohm outputs, so you need to run two cabinets in parallel to get all the 500 watts. Also, the Hartke VX410 is a good, cheap cabinet.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Wow those Carvins are really nice... The 500 watt head and 4x10 combo would be an amazing choice for the price (about $800) after tax, but alas I live in Canada and shipping/customs would add another $300 easily making it not really worth it at all

I don't have the money to get the rig I want right now (a $1000 dollar SVT head) but I don't want to waste my money either. I think I am going to try to get the cab I want and then get a cheaper head that I can upgrade from when the time comes...