How can I use effects to make my guitar sound bigger ad more full? There's only one guitar in my band, so ya know.

Which effects and how to use them please and thank you
More mids, that's what the guitar is for, unless your Metallica. Lars, is that you trying to find suggestions for recording your next album?
What genre do you play? I used a really fast delay with 2-3 repeats when my band didn't have a seccond guitarist also try a boost that usually works too those two effects should help you sound massive.

Edit: I play metal so um yeah a long delay is kinda silly at 200+ bpm. Also I run a voodoo lab micro vibe and bbe sonic stomp as well. It definatly doesn't sound like one guitar it sounds more like 5 lol
Last edited by losing battle at Aug 22, 2011,
Quote by marshmellow666
hook your amp into another amp bam two guitars

Actually, it'll just fill out the low end a bit--for a two guitar effect you need delay or chorus.
You could also try splitting your signal so it goes to both a guitar amp, and through something like a Micro POG set one octave down into a bass amp.
Oh, and you could do the multiple amp thing with really, really long cables--that would help the illusion of multiple guitars.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
A bit of reverb does good. Delay on solos for sure.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I've heard some folks use both overdrive AND distortion at the same time for metal tones. While I don't myself care for it, it DOES make your guitar sound very big.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Get a 12-string.
Srsly: I use a chorus and slight reverb for rhythm sounds. Light delay and a barely recognizable octave sound for most lead.
to get a really big sound there are a few things that really help. The first is playing through two amps. I have a ABY box that allows me to play two amps at once. You could also use an EQ pedal to beef up your sound then after that use some slight reverb to get maybe a arena sound or a large hall sound, then you could use a slight amount or chorus or maybe some slight delay. The effects thing is a good idea but a better idea is playing through two amps. I do this to record sometimes and it sounds massive. Most of the time i have to compress my sound quite a bit because it was too much. Also use humbuckers to get a bigger sound, most single coils dont get the ummph that humbuckers do.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
+1 mids all the way. a guitar is a mid-range instrument, and is meant to be EQ'd as one.

if you already use a decent amount of mids, as mentioned, reverb adds quite a bit, a little big of delay on leads works well, just make sure it doesn't get sloppy as such.

what i would do if i were in a band with one guitarist, i would try to have a cab on each side of the stage if you aren't being mic'd up (hopefully you are), don't go crazy with 4x12"s, they do tend to project better so you could, but what i would do and have done is take two 2x12"s and turn them vertical, one at each side of the stage.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Since people are talking ouside the context of effects, I agree with the general sentiment that you might want to actually *boost* mids to get a nice full tone. While one may be tempted to turn the bass up, after a point that will likely just get boomy in an undesirable way. Unless it's done subtley and is in a context that works, the sound of a "scooped" tone is dreadful to my ears at this stage.

That said, different amps are voiced differently, and react differently to different kinds of guitars being plugged into them, so you may want to experiment.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Aug 22, 2011,
i'm a big fan of chorus and reverb for adding bit more depth to ya sound.
discreet chorus i might add.
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
i think in most cases like this it's not so much FX, it's how you play.

try to play a guitar part that sounds "bigger" and voila, your guitar will sound bigger. because otherwise if you just keep on using FX to patch things up rather than improving what you play, you'll end up sounding like joy division.

obviously if your tone isn't sitting in the mix properly it's gonna sound like an empty mess no matter what you're doing with it - but that's what your EQs are for - use them to 'equalise' your guitar's tone.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Thicker strings, aggressive pick attack, working the dynamics with playing techniques such as muting and pick control all works nicely. In terms of effects, chorus, delay, reverb can all add space to the sound. Overuse will muddy up your sound though.
A boost in front of your amp like a barely gained tube screamer or clean boost can tighten the amp up. Add more mids in your EQ. It all helps give a fuller sound.

I see someone mentioned the two amp trick lol.
Take a look at Tool's guitar rig. Diezel VH4 CH3 + Mesa Recto 4x12 w/ V30s for highs, Marshall Plexi Super Bass + Mesa Recto 4x12 w/ V30s (jumped channels) for mids, and Diezel VH4 CH3 + Mesa 8x10 bass cab for lows.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Aug 22, 2011,
Agree with the mids answer and a few others up there, but there is of course the octaver trick...

If you take an octave pedal with a blend knob (might be called something else on various pedals but essentially a knob that blends octaves) and turn it up fairly high (to taste) you can get a much thicker sound... as used by many 1 guitar metal bands, such as Drowning Pool.
Delay, Mids, Chorus, Volume, Mids, Reverb.
(use effects sparingly though, don't want to make it sound muddy and/or dreadful)

Open chords and overdrive.

And... play big. Big chords, big melodies.
call me ziggy.
Last edited by earthisearthis at Aug 22, 2011,
i play power trio, i need to sound bigger than i really am. i will admit i have gone a bit overboard but i use 3 amps (two wet amps in stereo and a dry amp).

guitar -> wah -> boost -> od -> fuzz -> a/b/y

out a -> amp a

out b -> HOG -> ring mod -> vibe -> chorus -> reverb -> delay

i use a stereo delay and send both stereo outs to a stereo phaser and then send those stereo outs to amp b and amp c.

amp a is what i consider my 'dry' amp, and it is either a orange OR50H or my JTM45 copy going into a closed back PPC212 with 2 different webers in them (alnico blue dog, ceramic silver bell).

amp b is a music man 115-65. it has a 15" ceramic speaker in it.

amp c is a THD bivalve going into a 1x12 cab loaded with an alnico eminence 1228K.

the idea is that i am running a very diverse mixture of speakers and amps (push/pull, class A, american, brit, different tubes, different speakers, open back, closed back, etc). this allows for different amps to react differently to different effects and tones and works very well actually. i will also warn that utilizing such a setup takes a bunch of practice. sounding 'bigger' is not just gaining more equipment, it is much more about learning how to use it.

edit: i have clips, might as well use them

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play920680

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play775634

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play775635
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 22, 2011,