This has probably been done a ton of times, but I'm just curious. So many songs use either 1-5-6-4 or 6-4-1-5 as main themes in choruses and other parts, at times using only those four chords over and over again throughout the whole song... and we never get tired of it. I'm dumbstruck why this progression is so alluring? What is it about it that lets us use it over and over again and still keep it sounding good?

Any ideas? Am I just missing a huge thing about music theory that totally explains it? Please help me guys...
Because it sounds good.

In technical terms, it's to do with wavelengths and how they work with each other, and also things like the arrangement of when the minor chord or the major chord may fall, and that evokes emotion, but put simply, it sounds good.

It's the same with a 12 Bar. THe progression is flawless.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 22, 2011,
Although the chords are shared, the melody over those chords vary wildly. People listen to the melody and like it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Wait, I'm confused. Are we talking about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
If you're referring specifically to the I - vi - IV - V progression, then it is functionally strong, moving from tonic to progressively stronger chords (weak predominant, stronger predominant, dominant) and then returns to the tonic.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by guitardreams
This has probably been done a ton of times, but I'm just curious. So many songs use either 1-5-6-4 or 6-4-1-5 as main themes in choruses and other parts, at times using only those four chords over and over again throughout the whole song... and we never get tired of it.

I think alot people are tired of it. it is a widely used/abused progression. Not a bad thing in all cases.

Quote by guitardreams

I'm dumbstruck why this progression is so alluring? What is it about it that lets us use it over and over again and still keep it sounding good?

I wouldn't call it alluring, but instead very common. People draw from the things they know. There are alot of other common progressions as well.
shred is gaudy music
how would you do that in a 'jazzed'-up way....??

You know 7th 6th and 9th chords..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B