Page 1 of 2
Just found out the leader of the NDP Party here in Canada Passed away at the age of 61. He was doing pretty well too.

OTTAWA–Jack Layton, the New Democratic Party leader who led his party to Official Opposition status in this year’s federal election, has died after a battle with cancer. He was 61.

“Your support and well wishes are so appreciated. Thank you,” Layton, posted to the social media site Twitter in July after announcing he was battling a new form of cancer. “I will fight this and beat it.”

It ended up being the last public announcement he would make in his long political career, which saw him evolve from campus activist to rabble-rousing left-wing municipal councilor to the most electorally successful leader of the federal New Democrats in history.

Layton had been on a leave of absence as party leader since July 25, when he temporarily stepped aside to fight a second — and evidently much more serious — bout of cancer.

It is cliché to say that a politician has politics in his blood, and yet there are few politicians who embody it the way Layton did, with his family involvement in the life reaching all the way back to the birth of the country.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1042988--jack-layton-dead-at-61?bn=1
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
For a politician he seemed like a stand-up guy, real shame. At least he got to see some huge progressions with his party before he went. Too soon.
“I will fight this and beat it.”

When people say that and it doesn't work out, it always gets me
I seriously don't understand why males over 50 don't get regular prostate exams, it's one of the most curable cancers if caught early and it develops really slowly, plus like 1 in every 6 males gets it.

Regular check ups = could have avoided this.

but rip
What makes it worse is that they just became the opposition party just a couple of months ago for the first time in their parties history.
RIP Mr. Layton. I was hoping he'd see an NDP minority, at least, before he went. He was probably our country's finest politician.
Quote by ChamsRock
RIP Mr. Layton. I was hoping he'd see an NDP minority, at least, before he went. He was probably our country's finest politician.
Definitely the most vibrant and believable politician in the last decade. He was the only guy that seemed like he really understood the people his was trying to win over, and was in politics for the people and not himself. As soon as I got up this morning I turned on CBC Newsworld, read the headline at the bottom and I was mindblown. If I was 18 during the spring I definitely would've voted for him.

RIP Jack
Damn, he was a great guy... would've made one hell of a great Prime Minister. R.I.P. Jack Layton
Quote by Portuguese_boy
I seriously don't understand why males over 50 don't get regular prostate exams, it's one of the most curable cancers if caught early and it develops really slowly, plus like 1 in every 6 males gets it.

Regular check ups = could have avoided this.

but rip

He didn't die from prostate cancer, he died from a second cancer he got of the muskoskeletal type.
One of Canada's finest politcians... RIP Layton.
my job rules. ROCKWORLDEAST

Quote by GisleAune
She is new to the internet, it seems, because there's nothing between extreme love and furious hate here, sadly.
RIP Jack. Probably one of Canada's most genuine political leaders, you'll be missed.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
well that came out of nowhere. admittedly I didn't know he had cancer as of July but ...

anyway, RIP. it's unfortunate when anyone dies, but especially a man like him.
#DTWD
Damn. . .I liked him as a political leader, he did a very good job being a figure head for the NDP Party. Definitely my favourite leader in recent times RIP Mr. Layton, let's hope what you've accomplished carries on for the NDP.
Quote by xander307
that wasnt scary daryldom, it turned me on

Proud Canadian Eh?
“I will fight this and beat it.”

Politician breaks a promise. Imagine that?

Srsly though, RIP.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Wow this sucks! The guy died trying to get a big job in Canada.. In the end he got really close but died. What a shame.
Wow, the one Canadian politician that shows any kind of productive promise and genuine empathy for the well being of not just the country itself but the people who help keep it afloat. RIP Layton.
Noooooooooooooooooo

The final words of his letter
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.

All my very best,

Jack Layton

Last edited by marc137 at Aug 22, 2011,
he seems like the only genuine politician today. no one else alive could compare to the guy. feels bad man.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
My fellow Canadians, I have not been entirely truthful to you. I did in fact have sexual relations with that moose. Thank you and goodnight, eh.

Hmmmm...
Last edited by JD2k9 at Aug 22, 2011,
Wake up, Mr. Harper...
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by JD2k9
Im actually just embarrassed to live in the UK. Maybe if my parents loved me, I wouldnt be such a shithead

Ah, thanks for clearing it up.

Also, this actually came as a surprise to me. I knew he had cancer, but I didn't think he would pass away so soon. RIP

I've slit the throats of clergymen and governors
Those bloated swine...
May their screams unhinge a thankless crown

<= last.fm

Quote by Butt Rayge

Everyone is cunts.
Last edited by Hellomeitsme at Aug 22, 2011,
Page 1 of 2