So i start my third year of my music tech degree in about a month and have been given rough timetables, i think i may have to a dissertation (although it isn't certain yet), if i do, then i want to have a topic that is interesting enough for me to actually enjoy researching and writing about, and the essay is 10,000 words, so i want to start planning it now and do ongoing research throughout the year rather than cramming it all in on the last week.

Here are some topics that i have written essays about in past essays, and are therefore off limits:

-60s music, and how the events of the time affected the music scene, and vice versa (5000 words).

-Music and sociology, i.e music from a sociological point of view, taking into account class, genre of music, different opinions from different sociologists and their political bias. (2000 words)

Here are some that i am thinking about doing for the dissertation:

-Film music, possibly listing notable composers and techniques used decade by decade.

-Videogame music, from the days of 8 bit compositions, to film composers working on videogames.

I kind of want to move away from looking at X decade in popular music, as it is a little too obvious, although i have given some thought to researching a decade that i haven't really looked into like the 50s or 80s.

What i am asking is, do you guys thing that either of those potential research topics are broad enough to fill up the word count, and are there any techniques or tips you can provide? Thanks.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Video game and film music could be a good one to cover, as there are a great many examples of musicians crossing over into scoring video games and soundtracks.

For example, Trent Reznor scoring Quake by id software back in the day.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
You can write a 10,000 word fan letter to your favorite band.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

the evolution of heavy metal music.

or maybe the music of the ancients. i'll bet there aren't many papers on that.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

A 10,000 word essay on how you wasted 3 years of your life.

jk
Last edited by So-Cal at Aug 22, 2011,
Quote by donender
-Film music, possibly listing notable composers and techniques used decade by decade..

I think this is too broad for 10,000 words. This is the type of topic that you would write a book on. I think you would be better to limit yourself either to a few decades and look how music changed during that period or a one genre or a few genres. Horror and suspense or action/adventure or war would probably all make a good paper.
Quote by donender
-Videogame music, from the days of 8 bit compositions, to film composers working on videogames.

This would be really interesting but expect a shortage of secondary sources. You'd probably have to think about how the technology influenced what music could be made. Again, you might want to think of these in terms of genre to help organize the paper.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by Baba O'Riley

*Video game music*
This would be really interesting but expect a shortage of secondary sources. You'd probably have to think about how the technology influenced what music could be made. Again, you might want to think of these in terms of genre to help organize the paper.

Well my friend did it for an essay this year which was 2500 words, but the reason i think it am skeptical about it is because he struggled to get to 2500 words, so if it it was 10,000, then i reckon it would be quite tough.

Quote by Panasonic3

or maybe the music of the ancients. i'll bet there aren't many papers on that.

Probably because there aren't that many resources apart from Indiana Jones .
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
dispersion of humans and its affect on music. or religious/political affects on music.

a few things ive been been fascinated in for a while.
How the government is brainwashing us by using subliminal messages in popular songs. Anyway, good luck with it. Yvan eht nioj dude!

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.