Is there a way to take a Vox AC15 or AC30 and use a pedal to get a more Marshall sounding crunch? I like the clean chime and bell like shimmer with a smooth overdrive pedal on top, but I was wondering if it was possible to get the tight and sizzling rock crunch you associate with Marshall? Less chimey and saggy and more thick and tight? Just wondering if such a thing was possible.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Catalinbrean Dirty Little Secret, ZVex Box of Rock, Rothwell Hellbender...a few others out there as well.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Surely if you want the Marshall sound, the best thing to do would be to buy a Marshall amp?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^He's not asking for Marshall, he's asking for both. It's a lot easier to make an AC sound like a Plexi than the other way around.

The AC30 can be convinced to sound fairly Marshally, as long as you're aiming for Plexi and not JCM800 with a MV mod. The AC15 can get close too, but not as well, especially since it's got less headroom so the power tubes come into play sooner. The AC30 also has more voicing options, especially the recently discontinued AC30CC, which has an EQ switch that makes the tone stack closer to a Marshall, and a switch on the back for a more modern sounding cap selection.

There are a ton of Marshall in a box pedals - the Zvex Box of Rock is a good start, and plays well with the AC30. The Lovepedal Superlead is excellent as well. Both are available at Guitar Center, go try them with their Voxes and see what you like. I would not suggest higher gain pedals like the Crunch Box with voxes.

Of course, it's also worth trying Marshall 18 watt style amps. They have EL84s and might be just what you're looking for. Marshall's versions are quite expensive but other companies like Ceriatone make cheaper versions.
wampler plexidrive or plextortion... there's plenty of marshall style pedals out there. jetter red shift, Barber direct drive, ZVEX box of rock, tonebone hot british,... if you look you'll have no problem finding them. Google "Marshall Pedal"
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
This. You might also want to try a vox AC50 (recently discontinued but still available) or the new Night Train 50.

Haven't tried the Night Train 50 yet but the AC50 was a disaster. Didn't sound like a Vox clean, and sounded like a congested marshall dirty.
Quote by Roc8995

Haven't tried the Night Train 50 yet but the AC50 was a disaster. Didn't sound like a Vox clean, and sounded like a congested marshall dirty.

I didn't mind them... I thought the whole thing was somewhere between the two... and it didn't sound BAD. As for the NT50, its been very well reviewed.
I liked the smaller night train, I bet the big one's good. I just wish they'd do an actual AC50 instead of a completely different amp design with that name.
You can get pretty close with an EQ pedal dialed in well too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ocd high side with 18 volts
Dirty Bomb at mid gain
even Plimsoul can do somewhat of a Marshall with treble cut

Tube Zone? not sure what setting
I see, but would all of these get along with the Vox style voicing? I know a lot of Marshall style pedals seem to like a flatter and more neutral voicing (at least the high gain ones do). I just don't want it to sound all nasally and spiky in combination with one another. I'm not looking for JCM so much as a lively crunch that would work well for lots of modern alternative stuff and not mush up on the palm mutes when I do them. Marshall or maybe Orange with a midgain tone dialed in seems to come to mind when I envision that sort of tone.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I've got an AC30.
For marshall tones, I have the Box Or Rock. It does a pretty good job.
The Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET does a pretty convincing Marshall sound too.
I can NAIL the sound of Working Man by Rush with the Fulltone. And Alex Lifeson used Marshalls on that album.

Edit:
Speakers are important too.
For me, I have 2 Celestions, an Alnico Gold and a G12K-85.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 23, 2011,