Are they any good? I know that Epi's are like cheap Gibson copies but how cheap are they? Are they worth the price they are asking? Are they a pretty good-sized upgrade to an Ibanez GAX30? How about the other Epis? Explorer etc?
Last edited by DeathByPalmMute at Aug 22, 2011,
2 things:
1 - Read about them in the review pages on this site
2 - Go to a shop and try one
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Epi Les Pauls can be terrible, or they can be the closest thing you can get to a Gibson, it just depends which model you buy and how much money your looking to spend.

Personally, in my opinion any of the models that retail for less than about 3 or 400 dollars are pretty cheap.

I have a Les Paul Prophecy EX and I think its an absolutely awesome insturment.

Most of the time Gibson Les Pauls are very heavy(As in weight, not sound), and I've found that the heavy Epiphones are the better quality ones. It's all prefrerence though.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
I`ve had my epi les paul ultra for 3 years. Great guitar, but whether it`s suitable for gigging I don`t know. I think they`re fairly fragile and things break easily and wear out quickly. Mine`s in serious need of attention as things are falling off, wearing out or simply not working any more. It`s never left the comfort of my home, although I play it for several hours each day. I really should take it in to be serviced, but it`s my only guitar and I`d feel like apart of me had gone missing, even if I lost it for just a few days. I love this guitar, but I don`t think it would endure heavy use.
Quote by nikh158
I`ve had my epi les paul ultra for 3 years. Great guitar, but whether it`s suitable for gigging I don`t know. I think they`re fairly fragile and things break easily and wear out quickly. Mine`s in serious need of attention as things are falling off, wearing out or simply not working any more. It`s never left the comfort of my home, although I play it for several hours each day. I really should take it in to be serviced, but it`s my only guitar and I`d feel like apart of me had gone missing, even if I lost it for just a few days. I love this guitar, but I don`t think it would endure heavy use.

Dude I need a home address for you, gonna send a woman over but seriously it's great you love it as much as you do, I don't like the poor durability though.
I've got an epi les paul, and it's very nice, but you generally have to put a bit of work in it. When I got it it was poorly set up and the pups were awful, so I slapped some irongears in there and I swear to god it sounds as good as my gibson sg. But it does depend on what model you get, and also if you're lucky to get one of the good ones within that model range. There can be a massive difference between epi les pauls so you really should try before you buy.
The lower end Epiphone Les Pauls are toys. Chauncey wants a guitar for Channukah, they get him a cheap Epi or Squier with a Marshall MG10 amp. It's going to end up sitting in the closet while Chauncey plays X-Box.

The Epi LP Standards are decent guitars. No, they're not as good as high end Gibson obviously, but they're very good. You put in some Seymour Duncans or Burstbusters, and you're on your way.
Quote by nikh158

Nancy Wilson of Heart certainly seems to think it's suitable for gigging:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I had an Epiphone Lp-100 that was really inexpensive but a great guitar and I also have an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute and I can't tell the difference between it and a Gibson Studio.
The higher end ones are great guitars.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came