Ok, so after alot of research, I finally figured out what material the body of my Yamaha is made out of, Agatize. Now I am just as lost as I was before. What the hell is Agatize?? What kind of tonal properties does it have? I am trying to figure out what new pups I want to buy for this guitar, but I need to know the wood first. It has a maple neck, and an Agatize body. Thanks for any help with this one.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
I'm guessing it's Agathis, not Agatize. Common body wood, lots of information available online.
Are you sure it's really made of Agatize?

I just googled it, and the only results were relating to Agate. To Agatize is to convert something into Agate or make something resemble Agate.

I find it hard to believe Yamaha make a guitar out of Agate, so it's obviously just something made to look like it?

Some pics & the exact model number would be helpful so we can help you figure out what your guitar is really made of.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yeah, I'm sure you mean agathis. It's a cheap wood, I believe in the pine family. Really nothing special at all, I'd prefer basswood or alder. I have a LTD F50 with an agathis, body and it's kinda dull sounding. I put in high output pickups, and it helped a little, but not that much. LTD went with basswood for the later models, probably because people don't want agathis, but who knows? I'm sure someone will tell you that if you get the right piece of agathis, it will sound as good as any wood, but I don't know if you'll find the right piece on a cheap guitar.

I also don't like nato wood, another cheap wood that some people claim is mahogany, though it's not in the same family.
No, I wish I had meant agathis, plenty of information about that available. The manual clearly says : body material-Agatize. I even called Yamaha to verify, but he could not tell me what it was, or what it meant. The guitar was manufactured in 1998 if it helps.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
Agathis is pretty similar to mahogany on the tone spectrum, but generally it's cheaper, lower-quality wood. I've played some agathis guitars and they sounded fine though, I wouldn't say the agathis in cheaper guitars any worse than comparably-priced mahogany guitars. There doesn't seem to be much love for agathis in the higher-priced areas though, and I think that's because agathis has less natural sustain(at least, that's what I've heard), though there's a lot more to natural sustain than the guitar's wood, so I wouldn't say there's a really noticeable difference when you're plugged into an amp between an agathis guitar and a mahogany guitar.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Oh it is a yamaha eg 112 c made in 1998 though. Serial number on the back of the neck is Y0506, but like I said , Yamaha did verify it was Agatize, he remembered it being used before they went to basswood on this model, but thats all he knew.

p.s. The guitar is very light weight, maple neck, rosewood board. I took off the back cavity to the trem to scrape some paint and look at this wood. The wood itself was rock hard, I used a chisel and was barely knocking a mark into it. Appearred to be an orangeish sort of tent, with some white mixed in a bit.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Last edited by cooper1965 at Aug 22, 2011,
Quote by cooper1965
No, I wish I had meant agathis, plenty of information about that available. The manual clearly says : body material-Agatize. I even called Yamaha to verify, but he could not tell me what it was, or what it meant. The guitar was manufactured in 1998 if it helps.

Translation issue, perhaps? Misprint? What kind of guitar is it? You would know if it were Agatize, it would be a rock. I seriously doubt that is the case.

Edit: Almost certainly Agathis. Must be a typo in the manual. They sound similar.
the guy probably onlh had the Manual to hand , and say agatize, the guys on the support line only go by what documentation they are given,
Seemings there is NO trace whatsoever of such a material on google, wikipedia, yahoo, bing, e.t.c ( apart form the agatize compound) it must be Agathis,
Although the Wiki page for the pacifica, states a cheaper model being made form agathis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Pacifica

QUOTE.
In contrast, the entry level PAC012 has one Yamaha humbucker and two single coil pickups, an agathis body and a Strat-style vibrato bridge.
End Quote
Last edited by Lespauljames at Aug 22, 2011,
Its not Pacifica..
Quote by AeolianSeventh
It's the next model down from the Pacifica. It's Agathis. Yamaha did not invent a new material to make a budget guitar out of.

you're on fire tonight, colin
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well thanks for the smart ass comments, but I figured it out myself. It is apparantly really compressed particle board with lots of glue.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
"said the guy with an elementary education" Stay in school James..lol

There is a difference between trying to help, and talking out of your ass. Helping require actual intelligence on the subject.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Last edited by cooper1965 at Aug 22, 2011,
If you sift through the research I did. Do some googling yourself and check out the history of the guitar you will see for yourself. Some of the cheaper ones used particle board. Just go up to people who use it and ask what agatize they are using. Try it. Next up the scale was Agathis, before basswood was bought in as a cheaper option.
Quote by W4RP1G
I also don't like nato wood, another cheap wood that some people claim is mahogany, though it's not in the same family.

Mahogany isn't a family of tree, it's a description of the wood colour. If it is mahogany coloured, it is mahogany.
Quote by robhc
Mahogany isn't a family of tree, it's a description of the wood colour. If it is mahogany coloured, it is mahogany.

Ok gotcha. I guess I meant it's not the same species as Honduran or African mahogany.

I doesn't seem right to characterize any guitar wood by color though.
Quote by robhc

Yes there are types of mahogany, West Indian/Cuban ( Swietenia Mahagoni),and Honduran Mahogany ( Swietenia Macrophyllia) these are the only genuine Mahogany species, and they are from the Americas.

Yes it does refer to a color, but the woods taged as mahogany are all in the same family
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by robhc

what?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?