Just wondering if anyone else uses their middle finger to tap. Ive just watched a few videos and saw dave murray, paul gilbert and eddie van halen tab with their index finger. I hold my pick with my thumb and index finger so for me tapping with my middle finger means i don't have to move my pick at all. This makes switching between picking and tap much easier for me.

What are your thoughts ?
I tap with my middle when I do EVH licks.

So does Captain Picard of the USS Enterprise!

Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
I tap with my middle, and it's pretty much the norm as far as I know. I've read that Eddie had a weird way of holding his pick with his thumb and middle, so that's why he taps with his index. As far as Dave and PG i don't know exactly, but don't worry about what famous shredders are doing, just do what feels right/easiest to you.
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
All depends on what I'm tapping tbh. Take a look at the tapping sections in Bloodmeat by Protest The Hero. They all use the middle finger on the picking hand.
I tap with my middle finger cause as you said, you hold your pick with index+thumb.
If I have a pick in my hand I use my middle but if I'm not using a pick I use my index.
I use variety of fingers depending on which hurts the least at the moment. (cause I usually play a lot)
Use whatever you want to. If it feels right, it's right.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I tap with my middle finger so I don't have to move my pick or the position of my hand at all.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by ryan_nadon
I tap with my middle finger so I don't have to move my pick or the position of my hand at all.

This.

And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0LpX-j10GE
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I tap with the edge of my pick too. I don't know why, but it feels more comfortable to me than using my fingers. I use my middle finger to turn the pick to its side, than use my middle finger to turn it back when I'm done tapping.
I use my index finger, but only because I tend to fingerpick 90% of the time.

On the rare occasion I use a pick, I'll use my middle finger.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Well, the index finger is the strongest finger, thus it would be much easier to tap with it....

however, i personally find it more efficient to just use your middle....instead of shifting your pick around and using the index....

Petrucci uses his middle and ring finger to tap at times....so yeah....just an example....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
It's mostly preference I think. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, which I think are pretty even.

Personally, I try to keep my technique as consistent as possible (avoiding changing the way I hold my pick with doing different techniques for example). I just feel its more consistent, but if tapping with the index is better for you, then by all means, do it.
It depends on what I'm doing. On the bass, index. On the guitar, middle.

It's the pick really.
I use both it doesn't matter what ever feels comfortable. Its easier to do pull offs with your index though so id suggest that.
Last edited by stevosmusic1 at Aug 24, 2011,
i used to tap with my mid finger, but after seeing paul gilbert tap with his index i changed and i now tap with my index finger. i think its better as you have more control because you can kind of "grab" the neck with your thumb and mid finger.
Quote by zincabopataurio
It's mostly preference I think. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, which I think are pretty even.

Personally, I try to keep my technique as consistent as possible (avoiding changing the way I hold my pick with doing different techniques for example). I just feel its more consistent, but if tapping with the index is better for you, then by all means, do it.

I'm not seeing any major advantages to tapping with your index finger.

Quote by stevosmusic1
I use both it doesn't matter what ever feels comfortable. Its easier to do pull offs with your index though so id suggest that.

It's only easier for you to pull off with your index because you've practiced it, I would say for me right now that my ring finger is better at tapping than my index because I've practiced with it a lot.

Quote by tappooh
i used to tap with my mid finger, but after seeing paul gilbert tap with his index i changed and i now tap with my index finger. i think its better as you have more control because you can kind of "grab" the neck with your thumb and mid finger.

Only you don't need to do that, it's like anchoring while picking: it feels like it works but it doesn't matter if you've practiced well enough the other way. Only there's not as many disadvantages to holding on to the neck.

While I still don't see any inherent advantages to tapping with the index finger, I do maintain that not having to do anything at all with your pick does make middle finger tapping inherently better.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i tap with my middle finger, but i practice with both just incase my middle gets bitten off etc
I hate when people compare John Frusciante to God. He's
good and all.............but he's no Frusciante.
Quote by BornToLive
i tap with my middle finger, but i practice with both just incase my middle gets bitten off etc

I like how you think. xD I tried tapping with my middle finger for a brief, brief period of time(maybe a week), and it didn't work well at all for me, not quite sure why. xD I don't find switching from picking to tapping mode and back much of a hassle though. My only issue is I can't use more than one finger(I hide my pick curled up in my middle finger while I tap).
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm not seeing any major advantages to tapping with your index finger.

Well, anatomically speaking, the index finger should have more strength and control than the middle or ring finger, because it is controlled by it's own muscle and doesn't share any tendons with any other fingers, so by nature it should be stronger and have more control, which I think is an advantage.

But like you said, it is possible to train your other fingers to be just as good as the index, and I agree tapping with the middle is the way to go. The disadvantage there is of course training your middle finger to be as good. Some people might not feel the need to do so when they only tap once every full moon. That's why I feel it is personal preference.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Aug 25, 2011,
Quote by zincabopataurio
Well, anatomically speaking, the index finger should have more strength and control than the middle or ring finger, because it is controlled by it's own muscle and doesn't share any tendons with any other fingers, so by nature it should be stronger and have more control, which I think is an advantage.

But like you said, it is possible to train your other fingers to be just as good as the index, and I agree tapping with the middle is the way to go. The disadvantage there is of course training your middle finger to be as good. Some people might not feel the need to do so when they only tap once every full moon. That's why I feel it is personal preference.

The middle finger also has it's own tendon, it's the ring and pinky that share one.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.