Just bought my kit today .

It's a Rockwell, I got it off of my friend for $85 bucks, and although it's nowhere nearrr a good kit, it's something to start on .

Now.. how do I get started? D:?

I have no idea what to do other than hit shit XD.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Find a drum teacher. Have lessons. Practice.

Practice is always the answer.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I just picked up a guitar and taught myself that, is this something one can do with drums? Or just watch some vids on youtube? Its something I only see myself doing recreationally, but I still wanna be decent.
e-single
I know to practice, I picked up guitar and just learned songs more or less, but i don't know what to practice with drums :c.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.

You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by TheBigProjekt
I know to practice, I picked up guitar and just learned songs more or less, but i don't know what to practice with drums :c.
Learn to read sheet music/know rhythm theory if you don't already. Practice very basic beats. Learn rudiments/actual fills. Etc.

http://freedrumlessons.com/drum-lessons/

Go through all the beginner stuff first. This website is REALLY useful for when you're starting out.
Steve, that's exactly what I was looking for . Thank you!
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.

Check this site out too...I used it a bit when I started, and I just finally remembered the name of the site (found a printed transcription). Also, since ur just starting, if you got the $, search around for a knowledgeable teacher, if only for a few lessons...just so you dont screw yourself in the long run with poor technique.

Almost forgot the link...http://216.103.111.115/perl/drums/index.cgi
Quote by Steve08
Learn to read sheet music/know rhythm theory if you don't already. Practice very basic beats. Learn rudiments/actual fills. Etc.

http://freedrumlessons.com/drum-lessons/

Go through all the beginner stuff first. This website is REALLY useful for when you're starting out.

Those guys have a new site which is www.drumlessons.com They have more lessons and content there. Still all free too
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by laid-to-waste
make sex faces and hit things.

but with spirit.
True.

Confrabz on the new kit, man. If you want some free lessons, go on Youtube and do a search for beginner drum lessons. You'll find endless teachers giving different versions of certain techniques and what you need to do in order to become better. The benefit of that is you can decide yourself which methods feel the most natural to you.

Also, jam along to your favourite songs. The great thing about drumming is that you don't need to be able to play drums to drum. Don't get me wrong, to become a competent percussionist you will need to practise extremely hard, but you can still have fun and smash your new kit. It helps decipher what you may need to practise, whether it be your feet or your hands, etc.
Get lessons.

That way you won't get into any bad habits that could be hard to get out of if you get serious.
RIP Tom Searle.
I do think Youtube/the internet is infinitely helpful, but I agree with MH, get lessons if you can afford it to avoid getting into any bad habits.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
play De Slagwerker by Rush (Neil Peart) pull it off and you'll know you're in good shape. lol. if you wanna learn a song i'd say start off with Hardest Button to Button by The White Stripes. Meg White doesn't really ever do much on the kit. Ever.
Since when are teachers always going to have perfect technique? Just because they're a teacher and charging $20 for an hour doesn't mean they actually know what is best for you as a young woman/man. I've had a drum teacher who encouraged me to do things that other drum teachers, ones with a more prestigious skill to their name, would never have condoned.

Bad habits are somewhat of a myth anyway, in my opinion, because what would be a negative for one could be a positive to another. There is no wrong or right way of doing things when we're talking fine details. If you want to perfect a certain style, then yes there are specific ways to attain that level quickly, but otherwise it's a free platform.
^Fantastic post. Would +rep if I could.

Get lessons from a good teacher... for example, I've had 3 teachers in the time I've been playing drums. Each has been better than the last, but regardless, all 3 have changed the way I think of drumming from the perspective of the player and shown me things I don't think I would have discovered on my own. Find one like that, not the random dude at a music store (though that was the case for me when I started-- I lucked out, basically)

There are definitely bad habits I can think of that would impede one's playing, though nothing that would really be crippling-- poor balance, sticking the pinkies out, trying to use the whole arm for faster playing, having little or no grasp of finger control, being unable to properly execute double strokes, actively gripping the stick and choking the rebound, etc... however basically all of those could be easily corrected in a few weeks.
For a long time I was holding the drum stick the way it felt the most natural, where I had the most bounce. But a teacher then told me the correct way of holding it, and after a few days I was doing the new way naturally.

Yet he also told me to do something that didn't make any sense and that other teachers do not condone. Also, go on Youtube and search "how to tune a tom-tom". You'll find loads of different ways of doing it, ways that my teacher then said didn't make any sense. Yet these methods worked for many others.

My point is, having a lesson from a teacher is great because you can ask pretty much anything and you can have someone driving you each and every week; you'll have a routine. But that doesn't mean Youtube and other forms of teaching cannot be just as useful.
I was going to include 'reputable' in my post, I thought it was a given Good replies nonetheless.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
You can't argue with Steve08 and I. It's basically half the regular community against you.

Just kidding. I know this forum is growing steadily and I hope it continues to do so.
Very true, given some time I'm sure we shall have a thriving drum community

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp