I've been trying to "create" the best middle pickup for my Ibanez so I can match the hot output of the new neck and bridge humbuckers I will be installing.
The stock may not cut it, so I try a little modification with other single coils.
I have a neck single from a ibanez EX 365, it had alnico magnets, I take those out, and put them in the coil of a 90's mexico Fender single, hoping it'd be a good outcome.
So on the ohm meter, the Fender pickup with alnico magnets reads at about 7K.
But with the Ibanez pickup, with nickle pole pieces and 2 cermaic magnets, reads at about 10.4K
Now I know that's extremely hot for a single coil, so how is this even possible, that it would be better than a Fender pickup?
Cusp of Magic
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
You could get a Hotrail pickup in the middle and call it day. I think they read around 13k.

I'm working with what I have, I'm basically trying to figure out why an Ibanez neck pickup would be so much hotter than a Fender bridge pickup.
Cusp of Magic
better how?

a ceramic magnet is usually hotter then an alinco pickup.

fender doesn't really make any high output pickups.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
I'm working with what I have, I'm basically trying to figure out why an Ibanez neck pickup would be so much hotter than a Fender bridge pickup.

the simple answer is that fender pickups are really designed for a clean tone, the ibanez are made with a more metal / shred tone in mind. as mentioned fender really doesn't make any pups for that purpose.
Alright. So I guess it would be okay to use the Ibanez single in the middle, if the neck humbucker is gonna be around 10K and bridge around 14K.
Just needed to know in order to keep them balanced, since the middle pickup may not be as high, because it gets in the way of my picking.
Not to mention, I'll be using 1 meg pots for volume and tone.
Cusp of Magic
that should be fine.

you can lower the neck and bridge.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver