I'm looking for a tube head for playing djent, eg periphery, meshuggah ect

price range: £500 or lower (able to stretch a little bit)

i live in the UK

preferably at least two channels

nice one

EDIT:

solid state pre-pamps (eg eleven rack etc) are also a possiblity
Last edited by funkyadhesive at Aug 22, 2011,
Erm.... Going to be difficult.

I shall have a look.

EDIT:

Low wattage isnt going to happen mate unless you go for something like a Silverblade, which are well out of your budget.

if you are willing to be flexible to have a high powered amp, its not going to happen,

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Aug 22, 2011,
Well you do understand why "metal" amps are high power right?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
You could always get a line 6 spyder. [flameshield ACTIVATE]
They're cheap and will suffice for bedroom djent.
No worries

We all are at some point.

Put very very simply, an amp is made up of two parts, pre amp and power amp.

Basically when you hear that modern high gain sound, your hearing the gain coming predominately from the pre amp, that makes your tone and then the power amp makes it loud.

Alternatively that classic "crunch" sound is usually made in the opposite way, by turning the amps up so loudly you get power amp distortion. Which isnt as tight or really suitable for modern tones, certainly not Djent.

To avoid power amp distortion, metal amps, such as the 6505 or Triple Recs have hugely powerful power amps, in excess of 120 watts to make sure you can maintain that tight, modern sound without getting the amp into power amp distortion which is loose and flubby.

With me so far?

The reason there is a big influx of low power "tube" amps at the moment is it seems very popular at the moment to own small 5 watt and less amps to get that "classic" tube power amp distortion at "low" volumes. But even then they are still bloody loud. Thats not what you want. You want something with enough power to make sure you keep your pre amp tone at pretty much any volume.

Sadly amps such as the 6505 for example sound better when played at slightly louder than sociable acceptable levels, but I would always take a high powered tube amp played at low volumes than a low powered amp at a pushed harder at the same volume.

Why?

Big amps usually have better bass response and a more even tone as you push the volume. Which for modern metal is ideal.

That make any sense?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Lespauljames
[Flameshield Failure, warning warning.]
Just No. the tone on a spider. Blegh

What about a blackstar combo? ht 20 or 40?

possible, but i tried the ht20 head and found it a bit... creamy sounding for djent
Quote by Tom 1.0
No worries

We all are at some point.

Put very very simply, an amp is made up of two parts, pre amp and power amp.

Basically when you hear that modern high gain sound, your hearing the gain coming predominately from the pre amp, that makes your tone and then the power amp makes it loud.

Alternatively that classic "crunch" sound is usually made in the opposite way, by turning the amps up so loudly you get power amp distortion. Which isnt as tight or really suitable for modern tones, certainly not Djent.

To avoid power amp distortion, metal amps, such as the 6505 or Triple Recs have hugely powerful power amps, in excess of 120 watts to make sure you can maintain that tight, modern sound without getting the amp into power amp distortion which is loose and flubby.

With me so far?

The reason there is a big influx of low power "tube" amps at the moment is it seems very popular at the moment to own small 5 watt and less amps to get that "classic" tube power amp distortion at "low" volumes. But even then they are still bloody loud. Thats not what you want. You want something with enough power to make sure you keep your pre amp tone at pretty much any volume.

Sadly amps such as the 6505 for example sound better when played at slightly louder than sociable acceptable levels, but I would always take a high powered tube amp played at low volumes than a low powered amp at a pushed harder at the same volume.

Why?

Big amps usually have better bass response and a more even tone as you push the volume. Which for modern metal is ideal.

That make any sense?

ah ok, i knew most of that, but i didn't know power amp distortion was less tight and flubbier than pre-amp distortion, or that higher power amps hid better bass response etc

got it

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
papa roach is hardly djent

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
papa roach is hardly djent

my point is, with a noise gate, that could be a pretty nice djent tone
usually its an easy fix and if he has had it for a while with no issues thats a good thing.

also they fixed most of the issues a few years ago.

I really like my 333xl when I had it many moons ago

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
usually its an easy fix and if he has had it for a while with no issues thats a good thing.

also they fixed most of the issues a few years ago.

I really like my 333xl when I had it many moons ago

tasty, it has 3 channels aswell, so that may be the amp far me
MF400 cab = epic.

The amp.... Nah

TBH as much as I like the 6262... The infinium thing sounds like it might be fairly unreliable and given their past.... I would skip on the first few batches of the new amps.

If your going to pay money for the 6262 you might ass well buy a new 6505+ 112. Made to pretty much the same standard but the 6505 is ( almost ) the real deal.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Orange Dark Terror + an OD pedal will do what you are looking for..
Green Rhino is a killer pedal with that amp...it works great with my 8 string as well as long as you tweak the 100hz and the curve knob a bit.
An EQ in the fx loop helps, but I found that I really didn't need it as soon as I introduced the Green Rhino to it.
If you are in the UK you could probably go someplace to try it out.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
If your buying the Bugera new... Buy a Peavey 2nd hand

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Just a heads up since you mentioned Periphery. Misha actually has one of our Rebel 20's that he runs a Tube Screamer into for his home use sometimes, instead of using his full rig. He says he loves it and can do his Periphery stuff through it at a lower volume in his apartment.
Quote by Ian Egnater
Just a heads up since you mentioned Periphery. Misha actually has one of our Rebel 20's that he runs a Tube Screamer into for his home use sometimes, instead of using his full rig. He says he loves it and can do his Periphery stuff through it at a lower volume in his apartment.

wuuut? Misha uses AxeFx II now... that doesn't exactly need lower volume, its a rack unit
Definitely a Bugera! =)
Ive bought a 333 combo and is sounds awesome. The EQ is really responsive... =)
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
wuuut? Misha uses AxeFx II now... that doesn't exactly need lower volume, its a rack unit

Read, jackass.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!