Page 1 of 2
Hey there GG&A!

Backstory: Well I recently graduated college in May, and against all odds, managed to land a full time job within my field of study. Well I got hired as an environmental scientist at a local environmental consulting firm only 20 minutes from my house. The pay is nice and since I am still living at home until I can pay off some loans and bills, I decided that the pay is nice enough to warrant a gift to myself.

Frontstory: I was on Guitar Center's used gear page just idly looking for stuff, not expecting to buy anything. But what do I notice? A British voiced amp for only $399! I've been wanting a JCM800-ish type amp for a while to compliment my Mesa F-50. I said fuck it and called the Guitar Center and made the purchase.

Four days later I was trawling craigslist like I always do when I'm bored and I see a pedal that I've been wanting for a while as well, but since it is discontinued the prices are quite high...nonetheless I grabbed it for $90.

Only 2 days after that I'm on craigslist again and I see a MIA Telecaster on sale for $475 with a HSC. I managed to get the guy down to $400 for both the guitar and the case. Win! Found out later on that this is a Highway One Tele. I was a little disappointed at first thinking I didn't get a awesome "pwnd joo" craigslist deal. Then I realized, (along with the help of some WTLT buddies ) this is a steal because I love the way the guitar plays and it fulfilled my desire/need for a Tele. So for ~$900, I basically bought myself a new rig.

tl;dr: fucked bitches, got money, gear & toanz...

Without further ado...

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
'03/'04 Highway One Telecaster
The Telecaster is a 2003 or 2004 MIA Highway One Tele. While it is one of the "budget" MIA Fenders, I feel like it is on par with most MIA Tele's I have played. Now, my girlfriend's father has an original '72 Tele and this thing isn't quite on it's level But, the neck is thin without lacking substance as I have felt on Ibanezs and other "shredder" guitars.

The fretboard, in this case, is nicer than my girlfriend's father's Tele. I feel that this is the case because that guitar has been played/gigged with so much that the fretboard and frets have actually worn quite a bit. This one, as you can see in the picture, came with a vintage style 3 saddle bridge. At first I was wary of how I would like it, but it has grown on me quite fast. Maybe in the future I will look into getting one of the modern 6 saddle Tele bridges, but right now, I am pleasantly surprised. The stock pickups aren't terrible, just a little low output for my taste.

While most people don't play high(ish) gain music with regular single coil pickups, I personally like sound ala And So I Watch You From Afar. These pickups sound great clean, and have a nice grind with some dirt thrown on. The 60 cycle hum is only a little annoying, but I knew that going in. All in all, great guitar. These go used between $300-$500 USD. If you're in the market for a Tele, I highly advise it.

Laney GH50L
The amp (head, not the brown combo, as sexy as it is) is a Laney GH50L. Some have said that it is Laney's take on a hot-rodded single channel JCM800, and I am inclined to agree. This thing is freaking great, I love it.

Since the head was shipped to me before I picked up the Tele, I tried it out with my Dean Evo (LP copy) with Guitarforce Full On Distortion in the bridge and a Force '59 in the neck. The 16k output of the bridge pickup hit the preamp nice and hard and it sounded awesome through the Lo input on the Laney. Good clean tones to be had from this thing with the Gain on 2 and the Master on 4 or 5. Flip on the Resonance switch to add some fatness. Twas awesome. Even though this is a single channel amp, it can act as a 2 channel amp with the Drive mode enabled. Drive mode basically adds another gain stage to the signal path. Flip the Drive switch and have the Drive knob set to 5 and you're in high gain heaven. The Hi input with the high output humbuckers on the Dean just gave me a muddy, less defined tone. With the Dean, I'm sticking to the Lo input.

Once I got the Tele, I plugged into the Lo input automatically. But with the Gain on 2, and the weak ass single coils, I couldn't get enough body out of my sound. Even with the Gain knob turned up, it still was missing....something....then I switched over to the Hi input with the Tele. THERE IT IS!!! Sounded so much fuller and just overall better.

Now this is a very bright amp. My EQ is Bass: 8, Mids: 8 and Treble: 2. Still fiddling with Presence. Now just because it is bright, it doesn't make it a bad amp. It also came stock with unlabled EL34s and 12AX7s. So a swap with something like JJs would probably really help with the brightness.

Boss RV-3
Finally, the Boss RV-3. While I listen to a hell of a lot of different types of music, the past 3 years or so, the genre's of ambient/post-rock/post-metal/stuffwithalotofdelayandreverb has really grown on me. Now if you look at my board you notice there is the RV-3, which has the capability to have both reverb and delay on at the same time. Awesome! But you also notice a Line 6 Verbzilla and a T.C. Electronics Nova Delay.

When you look at the shelf on the other side of the basement, you also notice an Alesis Microverb and say "WTF, Y U HAVE SO MANY 'VERBS?!" Well I liked the Alesis (which I got first) but it was just a little too noisy in the loop and sounded like doodoo in front when I had high gain engaged on the Mesa. So then I traded a Philosopher's Tone for the Verbzilla. Love it. I've had the Nova Delay for almost 2 years already and it s by and far one of the best digital delays out there that isn't something boutique.

That being said, the RV-3 is what I use for wallofsound and highly echoverbed tremolo picking and it does it perfectly. The Verbzilla is for standalone reverb and the Nova Delay is for the same, just delay. While it is Boss and there is a lot of Boss hate around here, I personally love the pedal for it's tone (although just delays on the Boss are somewhat sterile) and functionality.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Aug 22, 2011,
HNGD!
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Reviews added. Thanks guys. Sorry it took so long for the thread, and for the shitty pictures...freakin' hand me down cameras...

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Belated my ass.

Awesome stuff dude

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Tom

Well it's been 3 weeks with the stuff and I'm not disappointed yet...usually I can tell if I like or don't like something after a few hours of tweaking.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Tom

Well it's been 3 weeks with the stuff and I'm not disappointed yet...usually I can tell if I like or don't like something after a few hours of tweaking.

No worries, I really fancy a gh50 myself, I know Dave really likes his 100 and your review has only made my gas worse.

Me too

Why do you think I flip so much stuff lol

HNGD!!!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by LaidBack
tl;dr: fucked bitches, got money, gear & toanz...

Hellz yeah!

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Nah Rob, when it comes to Teles, I'm a burst man.

Tom, I'm telling you, grab one if you want single channel Brit tones, or the VH for 2 channels. Ippon's got the VH100R and likes it. If he hangs onto an amp, it's for good reason
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
yeah,

they are so cheap over here, I might actually go for the GH100TI, just for the lulz.

I need a cab first

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I would love a stereo 2x12 or even a 1x12 so I can run a stereo rig...since I'm just using the Mesa's combo speaker as a cab for the Laney
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
HNGD!!

The HI input is for active pickups, and the low is for passive pickups FTW
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
$399??? for the laney???

man that's a hella nice rig for what you paid.

is the tele completely glossed over yet? those thin finishes mojo up really nicely over time. nice scores!
Quote by Robbgnarly
HNGD!!

The HI input is for active pickups, and the low is for passive pickups FTW

Thanks Robbgnarly, and you're right it is, but I feel that they can be used dynamically with passives as well.

Quote by gregs1020
$399??? for the laney???

man that's a hella nice rig for what you paid.

is the tele completely glossed over yet? those thin finishes mojo up really nicely over time. nice scores!

Thanks Greg. Well, after taxes the Laney was $429 or something...but I'm telling you, used.guitarcenter.com is a freaking goldmine. If I wasn't trying to be frugal I'd be buying like 5 or 6 pedals that I have been eyeing up recently. Also, the Tele isn't completely glossed yet, but this is a guitar that I probably won't get rid of for a while, so she'll be nice and glossed over soon enough!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Sweet stuff man!

HNGW!

^ Yeah used GC has some ridiculous prices on some things. $500 cab for $300, $90 dollar pedal for $50, etc...

Good stuff!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Thanks Matt. I absolutely love the new rig.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
yea very nice rig for damn low pricing.

i think the hi and low are just like any other amp with hi and low. the hi is straight up what the guitar does and the low cuts the signal a little.
i see mesa 112s for cheap all the time, if you want to go that route. (on used gc that is).
Yea, I will probably try and grab a Theile 1x12. Just gonna wait a few paychecks.

Or I can grab this http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=NE15-4 and put it into my unloaded ElectroVoice 1x15 cab and have a massive. That speaker should probably help with some of the brightness as well since it has a rolloff on the highend.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Very nice rig, very nice prices, too! Congrats!

As far as the Laney being a bit bright, look for Tungsram and RFT NOS preamp tubes. They show up a lot on eBay and are nicely-priced ... as in, for a lot less than the Brimars, Mullards, etc. that our resident old fart prefers.

The one thing though, you'll never fear about getting lost in the mix with that one.

Also, I love that Highway One Tele (have one) and it indeed has one of the most comfortable Fender necks, just like it's Strat twin. The stock PUs sound authoritative with high gain amps, too, a bonus.

Ippon
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
HNGD man. GH50's are one of the most underated amps on the planet. What's the Mesa you're using? I played one ages ago, adored it and could never find it again (due to me being and idiot and not asking the model).
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here
Quote by AmbientMathAsh
HNGD man. GH50's are one of the most underated amps on the planet. What's the Mesa you're using? I played one ages ago, adored it and could never find it again (due to me being and idiot and not asking the model).

i believe it's an F-50.
Cheers mate.
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here
Greg's right, it is an F-50 widebody combo. I have heard the F-50 called a few things; cross between and Mark and a Recto, stealth amp, jack of all trades and master of none, work horse, etc. I find 4 out of 5 of those to be true. The clean channel is gorgeous. I feel it comes up just shy of the Lonestar cleans...it's just missing that extra something. Throw on some delay and reverb though and it's even more gorgeous. It's like seeing a really hot blonde girl, except you like brunettes, and you find out she died her hair then you're like "zomg want!"

The OD channel was a little lacking at first. I wanted a modern, high gain sound. It was more along the lines of an 80s sound. Not bad, just not what I wanted. Switched over to the Contour channel. Bam. The Contour channel is really nothing more than an extra gain stage with more or less a preset EQ curve (although it is still affected by the amps TMB knobs). It is preset to the "V" shape on the Mark series' GEQ. Man, crank the mids and leave the Treble and Bass knobs between 11 and 1 o'clock and you've got the high gain monster you were looking for.

All in all, I am absolutely satisfied with my amps...

...except I want an AC30...

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Aug 23, 2011,
Sick stuff dude! Now stop spending money and start saving.

Actually buy an unloaded Avatar and mix a Cannabis Rex with a Swamp Thing.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Sick stuff dude! Now stop spending money and start saving.

Actually buy an unloaded Avatar and mix a Cannabis Rex with a Swamp Thing.

contradictiary statement is contradictiary
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Me talking about saving is contradictory.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Good point
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
sweet

gh50l for the win

oh and just use the high input all the time. that's what it's there for
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Thanks Dave. I do use both, just depends if I'm feeling high gain, mid gain or clean tones that day.

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
clean? does not compute.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh and just use the high input all the time. that's what it's there for

a little high input never hurt a guitarist.

i mean, smoke em if you got em.

Dave, I like mah cleenz and mah gainz.

Greg,
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
i just roll back my volume for cleans. it's not really clean, but eh
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like options.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
so do i

that's the one thing i'm not so keen on with the laney, you can get good cleans or good dirt, but not really at the same time...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2