Hey guys. I was nosing around the local pawnshop today and noticed one of the old Ibanez law suit Les Pauls. The neck plate said it was a '77. My questions, i didnt get a chance to play as i didn't hace my amp and it has rusty strings on it. Are they generally nice, playable guitars? Do they just feel like a nice Epiphone or better? It's in what i would call fair condition for being 34 years old, lots scratches and dings in it, especially around the body. The want $250, could prolly get to $225. Is it worth going for? Also, if i can't get the cash, i have a '79 Ibanez L6-S copy. I'm not sure how i feel about it as i'm waiting for it to be completed, but if i don't care for it, i can put it down as a trade one the LP. Just a thought. any comments about the Lawsuit models?
put it this way, gibson wouldnt file a lawsuit if the quality didn't compete with their own...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I'm going to head back after i get to spend some time with my Ibanez i'm getting back from the shop that is FINALLY in playing condition after like 6 months haha. I had a friend give me the L6-S copy for free so if i can trade it for the Les Paul I wouldn't mind
Go for it. I see people in NYC pay twice that for Ibanez Gibson knockoffs.
Oh wow. Well, it's in a kind of rough condition and the owner knows absolutely nothing about guitars. He was amazed when i came in, read the neck plate and told him exactly what year it was haha. I'm kinda the guitar nut in town. Hoping to add it to my collection though If i get to play it and everything checks out that is.
Ibby's LP's from that era have a bolt-on neck, right?

LP's and Bolt-ons don't usually mix....
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
It's definitely worth it. Just as the first reply says.

However, it is illegal to actually own one of these.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster

dude please share the drugs you are on. it isn't illegal to own a 70s ibbby LP copy. the lawsuit just prevented them from making eact copies headstock and all, that is it.

OP the price is ok for a bolt on however the ones that are worth the real cash are the set neck ones. not every lawsuit era model is a real gem so be sure to check it out.
Quote by JustRooster

God damnit, every thread like this, someone something out the legality of it. I don't think anyone actually cares though, it's not like they're buying drugs.
Yeah, you're right, Warpig, but it's at least worth mentioning in case he tries to sell it later.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Yeah, you're right, Warpig, but it's at least worth mentioning in case he tries to sell it later.

the lawsuit was about the headstock and body shape/build.

there is nothing illegal about owning or selling a lawsuit era ibanez.

the suit was between ibanez and gibson, and has nothing to do with any owners.

gibson sued a few companies back then. they sued yamaha over the "SG" name and yamaha had to change the guitars to "SBG" when sold in the US. some of those guitars, had builds that were nearly identical to LPs of the day, but were shaped like SGs. I know, i've had a few. (great guitars too). but it's not illegal to own or sell them.

selling a chinese gibson fake as a real gibson however, that's a crime. it's fraud.

all that said, the bolt on IBBY LPs aren't all that valuable, the set neck guitars can be very nice. i'd say pass on the pawn shopper guitar unless it plays great.
i said if it plays great it's worth it.

i say that about pretty much every guitar.

good luck TS.
I wouldn't. Bolt on LP's =
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I like mine..I'd say go for it if you can get it for $200...Mine is a '77 too, BOLT ON (if ya'll must know) and I love it...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Lawsuit guitars do not necessarily mean they are good, it just means they copied the shape and/or the trade mark open book head stock etc. I have owned, played, bought and sold lots of these lawsuit guitars over the years. Some are good some are bad it's a coin toss. When Ibanez first started selling MIJ guitars they were not consider very good guitars at all. They were cheap and some pretty bad they have come a long way since. I have paid as low as $50.00 for the lawsuit Ibanez guitars no more than about $200.00. I have seen them sell for a lot more but IMO they are not worth it. The best lawsuit guitar I ever owned was a MIJ Hondo Flying V I got for $175.00, the guitar was amazing really surprised me. It was a set neck, heavier that my Gibson V, very well built and had a very good tone but I still swapped out the pups later with a set of DiMarzios. Of course if I didn't try it I would have never bought it. Some lawsuits can be great but you have to try them out and decide if it's going to be worth the price. A lot of them do not have much of a resale value later. I was lucky with the Hondo I doubled my money but regret selling it.
John

“A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows public opinion”
believe it or not, "made in japan" wasn't considered a good thing for a long time.

that said, it still depends on who, where, and from what they made it.
Quote by gregs1020
the lawsuit was about the headstock and body shape/build.

there is nothing illegal about owning or selling a lawsuit era ibanez.

the suit was between ibanez and gibson, and has nothing to do with any owners.

gibson sued a few companies back then. they sued yamaha over the "SG" name and yamaha had to change the guitars to "SBG" when sold in the US. some of those guitars, had builds that were nearly identical to LPs of the day, but were shaped like SGs. I know, i've had a few. (great guitars too). but it's not illegal to own or sell them.

selling a chinese gibson fake as a real gibson however, that's a crime. it's fraud.

all that said, the bolt on IBBY LPs aren't all that valuable, the set neck guitars can be very nice. i'd say pass on the pawn shopper guitar unless it plays great.

+1

and were there actually any lawsuits at all? I know over at the tokai forum people get annoyed about lawsuits being mentioned all the time, and they seem to think there never actually was a lawsuit, just the threat of one (the MIJ guys changed the guitars sufficiently at the threat of one to avoid said lawsuit, i think).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

and were there actually any lawsuits at all? I know over at the tokai forum people get annoyed about lawsuits being mentioned all the time, and they seem to think there never actually was a lawsuit, just the threat of one (the MIJ guys changed the guitars sufficiently at the threat of one to avoid said lawsuit, i think).

Gibson did indeed file the lawsuit. pretty sure it was settled out of court however it was more than a threat. the term "lawsuit era" has been applied to any japanese copy guitar from the 70s which isn't really correct. it's just another marketing term used to squeeze more cash out of ebay buyers.
yeah, that's kinda what i meant. maybe the tokai forum means that it was filed against one company but it's now used to describe them all (as you said).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, that's kinda what i meant. maybe the tokai forum means that it was filed against one company but it's now used to describe them all (as you said).

a little quick research shows that gibson only directly sued ibanez. the fall out from that suit did force other japanese companies to comply though. fender also sued over it's headstock and comapnies using logos that mirrored the style of fenders(and gibson as well as rickenbacker). this suit also impacted all the makers in japan.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Aug 23, 2011,
yeah, that might be it. I definitely know that the term "lawsuit" is bandied about a lot more than it should be. EDIT: yeah, just read the article, that sounds more like what I've heard about the matter.

Also, most of the MIJs still make guitars with the "right" headstock shapes for the japanese market. apparently IP laws are laxer there.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a pre lawsuit Ibanez and it slays every guitar I have ever played.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Dempsey68
put it this way, gibson wouldnt file a lawsuit if the quality didn't compete with their own...

I think it probably had more to do with the fact that Ibanez was capitalizing on Gibson's design. The Norlin era was all about money. They didn't care about quality as much as the pre and post Norlin-era owners. Which is ironic, considering they almost killed Gibson.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex