Sigh....yea its another one of these threads....

Looking for HONEST opinions....no fan rants about them.

Here's the deal. A guy is willing to sell me his 2003 Les Paul Standard in Desert Burst for 1400....I think thats a decent deal (a concern is that the knobs are black....standards normally have the gold ones....but he coulda changed them) and also a guy that will sell me a Firebird V for 900.

I had an Epiphone Firebird about 6 years ago that was pretty cool but constructed crappy. Loved the looks though. And a Les Paul is a Les Paul. So I am torn between the two.

I play a mix of Indie (The foals, Amusement Parks on Fire), Some alternative-progressive stuff (Say Anything, The Dear Hunter, Manchester Orchestra, Muse), and post stuff (Explosions in the Sky, Thursday, American Football, Don Cabellero)

I currently own a PRS CE22, a Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, and everything runs thru to an Axe Fx II.

Any help at all is awesome!
Thanks!
That depends on your prefrence, they are really diffrent. This is something you must go try both and see for yourself.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
play both and see. having said that considering what you already have i'd go for the firebird.
i own i firebird V and it has very unique and cool tones to get from it. one thing that might turn you from it is that you (or atleast i do) have to use a slightly heavier guage string (11s or 12s) to get a low action from it because of the very stiff neck. The guitar is also very long, and a little more neck heavy than the average guitar and you might not like the way it feels so i suggest trying it before you buy. but if you want a unique looking and sounding guitar go for the firebird.
boy that's a "you gotta play them both" thing.

you don't see many firebirds though, and LPs are everywhere.
indeed...thats my thought.....i hate placing posts up like this because i strongly agree in the players preference.

funky_monk94......is your firebird ever to treble-y?
several years ago i had the option between a Gibby V or some form of a Firebird. wouldve taken the firebird if it had full sized humbuckers
i'd get the firebird if it is the one with the minibuckers. if it has normal buckers then take the les paul.
There are definitely more LP's than Firebirds. I want a firebird, but they get rather expensive.

Edit:
Quote by wolvenrick
i'd get the firebird if it is the one with the minibuckers. if it has normal buckers then take the les paul.

Whats the difference between the mini/normal buckers?
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Last edited by randomhero65 at Aug 23, 2011,
If I was choosing between the two I would go with the Gibson Firebird. The price is better, they are great guitars and not a lot of people play them. The tone is not the same but fairly similar to the LP. Try both out if you haven't already but I say save yourself 500 bucks and get the Firebird.

I say offer the guy $750 cash for the FB and go from there. I would offer a lot less and start the negotiating from my low ball offer but that is how I have been doing it for years. I resell tons of guitars it's my side business. The LP I say offer $1000.00 cash and go from there. As I said in another thread it's a buyers market right now you have the power in these deals take advantage of it.
John

“A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows public opinion”
Quote by randomhero65
Whats the difference between the mini/normal buckers?

pete townsend would say "everything". he had issues with regular buckers feeding back. but he probably just needed a ISP or a new amp.

output, vibe, tone. they are more vintage sounding.
Neither. Own Axe Fx, must play Bernie Rico guitar. Only a few people are going that bad excuse for a joke. I say the LP Standard
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by gregs1020
boy that's a "you gotta play them both" thing.

you don't see many firebirds though, and LPs are everywhere.

Yeah, this.

Otherwise, between your PRS and Tele, you're pretty versatile. Would you consider saving up for an amp, or are you happy with your digital setup?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by DamagingExcess
Neither. Own Axe Fx, must play Bernie Rico guitar. Only a few people are going that bad excuse for a joke. I say the LP Standard

haha i laughed so hard reading this. unfourtantly thats the true mindset of so many axe fx players hahaha.

I think Im going with the firebird as of now. The negotiating idea someone said earlier Ill use. Plus the guy selling the les paul is a total dill hole. I'll let you know of my final decision!

Thanks!
Quote by jtweito
indeed...thats my thought.....i hate placing posts up like this because i strongly agree in the players preference.

funky_monk94......is your firebird ever to treble-y?

yes actually. i like to turn the tone down on the bridge pickup for that reason. i usually have it around a 7 or an 8. the others are fine though.
TS if you have a PRS CE22 and a tele for more variety you'd probably be best off going with the firebird imo

mini-humbuckers are kinda brighter and crisper sounding than regular humbuckers but still pretty chunky sounding - kinda close to P-90s tonally, except they kinda still "feel" like humbuckers and they cancel hum. they'll give you a tone that's kinda like that warm gibson sound with a bit of extra chime and twang a bit more like a tele - extremely versatile imo.

the only negative thing to consider with the firebird is some people find the shape a bit disorientating. never buy a firebird without trying it, and i'd recommend you take a guitar strap with you if you're gonna go try one and see how you like it when standing up too. the way the shape is designed basically shifts the speaking length of the strings over to the left a few inches which some people find difficult to work with.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.